Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next Touring frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 10:00 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
.....I do also see the counter balancer as a hint at a new frame with a solid mounted motor.
My thoughts as well. The balancer works so well in the current rubber mount setup they had to dial it back a bit to increase vibes.

Let's say there's a new frame that does away with the rubber mounts utilizing the motor as a stressed member, that alone could reduce weight significantly and they could tune the counter balancer back to full function. Recall how the Sportster gained like 60 pounds or maybe even more when it's engine became rubber mounted due to how much the frame had to be beefed up.
I could envision the new Tourer sporting its counterbalanced M8 motor solidly mounted in a new light weight frame offering better handling, ride, and performance due to significant weight savings.

Old 09-03-2016 | 08:06 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewva
My thoughts as well. The balancer works so well in the current rubber mount setup they had to dial it back a bit to increase vibes.

Let's say there's a new frame that does away with the rubber mounts utilizing the motor as a stressed member, that alone could reduce weight significantly and they could tune the counter balancer back to full function. Recall how the Sportster gained like 60 pounds or maybe even more when it's engine became rubber mounted due to how much the frame had to be beefed up.
I could envision the new Tourer sporting its counterbalanced M8 motor solidly mounted in a new light weight frame offering better handling, ride, and performance due to significant weight savings.
If only....But I can't see The Mothership eliminating the frame downtubes....Too much a part of the legacy design that the faithful want. But since we're dreaming, I'll put my vote in for a single-sided swingarm and a monoshock.

Old 09-03-2016 | 10:38 AM
westnash
Tourer

Wonder if it will be a race between Harley, Indian, and Honda GoldWing to offer a DCT type shift? Honda now has it on a 1000cc bike and it will happen on the big bikes soon.

Originally Posted by scottt
The reason I think a new frame is coming is because Harley will offer an Automatic transmission option. Will require a new frame.

Old 09-03-2016 | 03:38 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

No I'm sure they'd keep frame down tubes but the frame could be a lot lighter.

Old 09-03-2016 | 04:14 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewva
No I'm sure they'd keep frame down tubes but the frame could be a lot lighter.
even 10% off the bike's total would be amazing, I am always amazed at how much of a pig my SG is. beautiful bike but 20% over weight by far

Old 09-03-2016 | 04:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Getting the Ultras under 700 pounds would reap amazing rewards.

Old 09-03-2016 | 05:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
Getting the Ultras under 700 pounds would reap amazing rewards.
That's a pipe dream never happen, my shovel comes in at 675 stripped as it is.

Old 09-03-2016 | 06:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That's a pipe dream never happen, my shovel comes in at 675 stripped as it is.
They said we'd never break the sound barrier either.

Losing the full frame, putting the engine on a diet, going to an aluminum single-sided swingarm, and making another few changes would get you most of the way there. The Ultras ran around 750 pounds prior to 2008; they've gotten porky.

Getting the weight back down close to 700 pounds and losing as much unsprung weight as possible would make the bikes go, stop, turn, and ride a ton better. That's a serious win for everyone.

Old 09-03-2016 | 06:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
They said we'd never break the sound barrier either.

Losing the full frame, putting the engine on a diet, going to an aluminum single-sided swingarm, and making another few changes would get you most of the way there. The Ultras ran around 750 pounds prior to 2008; they've gotten porky.

Getting the weight back down close to 700 pounds and losing as much unsprung weight as possible would make the bikes go, stop, turn, and ride a ton better. That's a serious win for everyone.
Then you have just another import look a like, they may down the road and I mean a long way down the road develop something to attract all the crotch rocket kiddies to this side of the tracks but doubt seriously it'll be in my lifetime. The vintage look V Twin fat bike is the mocos iconic bread & butter machine that 90% of their buyers want.

I do agree these new ones are on the heavy side but the up side of that weight to the average rider is the bike feels much more solid and connected to the road.

Old 09-03-2016 | 07:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Then you have just another import look a like, they may down the road and I mean a long way down the road develop something to attract all the crotch rocket kiddies to this side of the tracks but doubt seriously it'll be in my lifetime. The vintage look V Twin fat bike is the mocos iconic bread & butter machine that 90% of their buyers want.

I do agree these new ones are on the heavy side but the up side of that weight to the average rider is the bike feels much more solid and connected to the road.
I agree with everything you're saying other than your conclusion. The swingarm and the shocks are covered by the bags; you'd never know it wasn't a traditional setup. Ditto the frame. There's so much stuff up front you'd never miss the downtubes if you weren't looking for them, especially on a bike with lowers.

By moving to more modern construction you'd save a ton of weight, have a better-riding bike, and there would be zero change to the silhouette of the bike. The vintage look wouldn't go anywhere.

You make a fair point about the weight, but for people who actually ride their bikes (I know you do, that's not a swipe), the benefits of losing that weight would far outweigh (ha, ha) the perception of "solid" and "connected".

Quick Reply: The next Touring frame