Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next Touring frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 11:49 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Comminized frame is not a good thing folks, it's a cost reduction/labor saver for the moco not an improvement for the consumer. When 2 very different product line are commonized you lose things as now neither one will accell at any one thing, only real differences between the lines will what's hung off the frame and don't think for a second the cost savings will passed on to us . All this is going to accomplish is make the bikes more cookie cutter just like most imported platforms.

Not seeing the upside here, been down this road in other industries and it never worked out well there were always compromises and trade off's to the end user.
I couldn't agree more. It might help the Dyna line,but I just can't see it helping the Touring. It's a cost saving measure,not an upgrade on what is currently being used.

Old 09-02-2016 | 11:52 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member

of course Dynas and touring bikes started out with the same frames way back even before they were called Dynas . they basically took an ElectraGlide and stripped parts off it to make the Superglide . (ok , on the first one they added a weird tail section and a custom tank)

but i would think by now that there would be enough differences between the two platforms that having a common frame would be difficult . isn't the neck on a touring bike significantly different from a Dyna ?

Last edited by not_so_newb; 09-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2016 | 12:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by not_so_newb;15474789[B
]of course Dynas and touring bikes started out with the same frames way back even before they were called Dynas[/B] . they basically took an ElectraGlide and stripped parts off it to make the Superglide . (ok , on the first one they added a weird tail section and a custom tank)

but i would think by now that there would be enough differences between the two platforms that having a common frame would be difficult . isn't the neck on a touring bike significantly different from a Dyna ?
Long before that think shovelhead days, the first real stripped down model was the 1970 Superglide or FX model. Was the same frame as the FLH bikes but the skinny sportster front end , bobbed fender and smaller gas tank.

Today's bikes you sit an old FL or FX shovel next to a Road King and there's a big difference in size & weight between the 2 the king being bigger by far . Sit that same shovel by a dyna and oh my it's looks the same size .

How is commonizing a frame between the 2 lines going to work ? Dyna's going to bigger or the fat bikes going to shrink ? One or the other has to happen, something always loses.

And you are spot on with the second comment try to imagine that big *** shark nose fairing hangin off a dyna frame , not seeing the upside here.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-02-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2016 | 12:27 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Comminized frame is not a good thing folks, it's a cost reduction/labor saver for the moco not an improvement for the consumer. When 2 very different product line are commonized you lose things as now neither one will accell at any one thing, only real differences between the lines will what's hung off the frame and don't think for a second the cost savings will passed on to us . All this is going to accomplish is make the bikes more cookie cutter just like most imported platforms.

Not seeing the upside here, been down this road in other industries and it never worked out well there were always compromises and trade off's to the end user.
Also just like the Polaris model...

Old 09-02-2016 | 12:31 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

You are all correct in that the "upside" is primarily for the MoCo. The only "upside" for owners is one of the comments I've heard time and again from the old schoolers - more parts interchangeability.

There once was a time when most Harley parts fit nearly ALL big twins. Nowadays, there are several "one-offs" even within families (first example being the Deuce).

I don't pretend to know how they would do it, or what effect that may have on either the Dyna line, the Touring line, or both...

Old 09-02-2016 | 12:35 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

The current Touring frame is modular, and I'd assume the new one will be as well. A common engine cradle with different rear ends would make sense. Especially when the new motor is used across the entire line of Big Twin bikes. Now that it's counterbalanced, frame commonality is a no-brainer.

Nothing worth getting bent about at this point.....They haven't announced anything yet, and our worrying or bitching about it won't make a bit of difference.

Old 09-02-2016 | 12:37 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
I am with LP. I see this as 07/08 all over again and I do not want to play that game. I do also see the counter balancer as a hint at a new frame with a solid mounted motor.
Or a way for the M8 To go in a softail.

They said they had a 100 percent balancer in there, but dialed it back to leave SOME character. So what if they put the 100 percent version in back in, and that motor goes into the softails?

Just spitballing.

I hope they leave the touring frame rubber mounted myself.

Old 09-02-2016 | 01:29 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by show-n-go
Didn't they make a bunch of changes to the frame in 2014? I either read or was told 114 changes to the frame from 2013 to 2014, and that makes some sense as the 14& up bikes ride different and sit different than my old 13. Obviously that wasn't a brand new frame but a major update, So that 2018 would be on par for a full update if that is the case.
I was tempted to trade up to the M8 cvo on the first couple days of launch but after some thought it just doesn't make sense for me. I love my 2016, and for a little cash i can upgrade my 110 to give me more power.
here's the extent of the frame changes on the Rushmore, mostly the neck for the fork change:

09 frame had 450 changes:

I don't feel much difference between my 09 and 14 that I ride back to back day in and out.

Old 09-02-2016 | 05:12 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

I love it,, the 17's just hit the floor and here we go on rumors on the 18, lol

Old 09-02-2016 | 06:15 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Im thinking this is a possibility of bringing back the FXR since the Touring frame has the FXR triangle

Quick Reply: The next Touring frame