Sponsored by:

CB is now option only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
I've been on several of the National HOG Touring rallies in recent years. On those rallies, the MoCo chases their executives out to ride with the unwashed. (Their customers). These guys all spend time in the hotel bars at each overnight stop and are quite accessible to talk to.

I've spent time with guys from their Parts & Accessories group, and learned there is generally a lot of give and take between the Parts & Accessories and their Motorcycle product managers. As an example, when the Rushmores were introduced with Daymaker headlights, the bike product managers wanted the Daymakers to enhance the value of their bikes, but the P&A guys fought against it, because it took away from dealer post delivery Parts & Accessories sales. In this case the bike's won.

While there are groups that heavily use the CB's, I would've bet that it was probably a third of the owner's of bikes that had a CB regularly used it. But the number HD reported from their market research was that 98% did not regularly use it. With numbers like that, it's no wonder the bike guys wanted to get rid of the CB to hold their cost down, while the P&A guys were happy to sell CB's as an after-sale option.
You guys make me feel guilty. From my first new Ultra, a 91 to my current, 14. I have never used the CB or the intercom. Last thing I want my wife doing is chatting as I ride, lol. When I have been surveyed I responded as such.

With this said, the CB should be standard on a Limited due to the high cost of a install, especially with the boom box. I had no idea so many use the CB. Then again, have not been involved much with HOG.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
You guys make me feel guilty. From my first new Ultra, a 91 to my current, 14. I have never used the CB or the intercom. Last thing I want my wife doing is chatting as I ride, lol. When I have been surveyed I responded as such.

With this said, the CB should be standard on a Limited due to the high cost of a install, especially with the boom box. I had no idea so many use the CB. Then again, have not been involved much with HOG.
While I'm a HOG member I'm not really involved in any HOG events. However I do ride with a regular group and take week+ vacations riding 2up with about 10 bikes. More than half have CBs and riding with a group this size a CB is simply invaluable. I never use the CB for just day trips but I would never want to be without one when riding with a group over multiple days.

The following users liked this post:
Casper (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 02:40 PM
ch54
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Did MY16 Ultra Limited (not CVO) include a CB from factory? I thought the CB was dropped at the start of the Rushmores.
Does it have 2 antennas? (antennae?)

Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I've been on several of the National HOG Touring rallies in recent years. On those rallies, the MoCo chases their executives out to ride with the unwashed. (Their customers). These guys all spend time in the hotel bars at each overnight stop and are quite accessible to talk to.

I've spent time with guys from their Parts & Accessories group, and learned there is generally a lot of give and take between the Parts & Accessories and their Motorcycle product managers. As an example, when the Rushmores were introduced with Daymaker headlights, the bike product managers wanted the Daymakers to enhance the value of their bikes, but the P&A guys fought against it, because it took away from dealer post delivery Parts & Accessories sales. In this case the bike's won.

While there are groups that heavily use the CB's, I would've bet that it was probably a third of the owner's of bikes that had a CB regularly used it. But the number HD reported from their market research was that 98% did not regularly use it. With numbers like that, it's no wonder the bike guys wanted to get rid of the CB to hold their cost down, while the P&A guys were happy to sell CB's as an after-sale option.
Exactly! I'm not one to mess with motor upgrades and if Harley asked me should HD make the cam cover non accessible to owners and void warranty if they do? I could answer sure, wouldn't effect me. Not that I would say that....

All I'm saying is be careful on surveys and answering questions, think about how your answer would effect all riders, not just yourself.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Right I should answer a survey with your answers.. GMAFB!! The girls have been whining about the position of the push to talk switch for over a year. Talking of suing them because they had to take their hand off the throttle to access the switch and have a crash and all this crap. If I was HD I would've done the same thing, problem solved. Just like there are aftermarket GPS solutions for motorcycles there are also aftermarket CD solutions for motorcycles. Reach in your moth filled wallet and pay up. Rant over!!!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:23 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I've been on hundreds of group rides over thousands of miles and never used or needed a CB or Bluetooth.

That said, I have a removable one in my Jeep because we use them while offroading in a group.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

With numbers like that, it's no wonder the bike guys wanted to get rid of the CB to hold their cost down, while the P&A guys were happy to sell CB's as an after-sale option.
But - the bike still increased $600. My guess - those who count the beans wanted a higher MSRP, but marketing a new engine & some new suspension bits at $1200 over the 2016 price - from $26,399 to $27,599 - was identified as a no-no & it was the CB that was sacrificed to keep the MSRP below $27k.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
Right I should answer a survey with your answers.. GMAFB!! The girls have been whining about the position of the push to talk switch for over a year. Talking of suing them because they had to take their hand off the throttle to access the switch and have a crash and all this crap. If I was HD I would've done the same thing, problem solved. Just like there are aftermarket GPS solutions for motorcycles there are also aftermarket CD solutions for motorcycles. Reach in your moth filled wallet and pay up. Rant over!!!
You can answer any damn why you want! As for paying up, I did! Apparently we all should go back to a hard tail frame and kick start...who needs technology!
GMAFB!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you!!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,262 Posts

CB ar used the incidents occur that take out cell towers. Ham radio operators still provide communications during those times for the longer communications. Most people do not understand phone limitations and requirements because they rarely venture outside of populous areas.

Quick Reply: CB is now option only?