Sponsored by:

Tall Rider Needing Help RGU VS RGS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Tall Rider Needing Help RGU VS RGS

I have been riding Wide Glides all my life as I love their looks and fit for a guy who is 6'7". Several Sturgis, Daytona trips as well as many other extended trips over the years on the WGs, 700 mile days and 5000 mile trips were no issue and I loved it. However now that I have entered my 50s fighting the wind is not what it used to be and I decided a while back that my next new bike will be the Road Glide for more comfort on the trips. I have lurked in this section for some time picking up on many of the tips and info from you guys. Have test ridden RGS on a couple of occasions an am sold on the bike

My question is RGS or RGU. To be honest I am absolutely fine with the RGS but the must have on it will be a tour pack and passenger back rest for the wife before it leaves the dealer. Doing that I will basically be paying the price of the RGU so why not go that route and get the other items that the RGU comes with as the price would be basically a wash between an RGU and a RGS with the tour pack addition.

Now my big question is from what I have read and my test rides I feel that with my height and 36" inseam that relocating the floorboards forward and out would be a plus for me. I know this is easily done with kits from several sources on the RGS my question is with the lowers on the RGU is this possible? Has anyone relocated floorboards forward and out an inch or so with the lowers on the RGU.

The lowers are not a must have for me but obviously with the water cooled RGU removing them would be out of the picture.

Any input or experience would be appreciated. In addition please feel free to comment with any other must change items to accommodate tall riders. I do know that I will be adding some 14-16 inch apes as the stock bars really are close to my knees in the riding position. I have always used a Mustang seat on my WGs to move me down and a little further back and will do something similar with the seat on the Road Glide as well.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM
midwesta
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure about moving the lowers - but for me it would come down to pricing and look I think.

If you are going to ride it solo a lot and want to remove the tour pak - you are looking at a few hundred bucks to make the RGU tour pak removable.

Do you like the bigger front wheel and 'finished' rear look of the special? Adding the tour pak with docking hardware you should be well under $1500 - especially if talking it into the price of a new bike. You don't care for the lowers so that would be a wash. Although they could be added for less than $400...

Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by midwesta
I am not sure about moving the lowers - but for me it would come down to pricing and look I think.

If you are going to ride it solo a lot and want to remove the tour pak - you are looking at a few hundred bucks to make the RGU tour pak removable.

Do you like the bigger front wheel and 'finished' rear look of the special? Adding the tour pak with docking hardware you should be well under $1500 - especially if talking it into the price of a new bike. You don't care for the lowers so that would be a wash. Although they could be added for less than $400...
Good point on the removable tour pack. I had thought about that and figured which ever way I go (RGS or RGU) it will be detachable. Locally I ride a fair amount solo but the wife is usually on 2-3 times a week. Most trips she is with me although a few are solo. I would want it detachable for the option. Likely most of my solo short local rides, errands etc... Would likely be on the WG which I am keeping

Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Tri-J
Cruiser

Received 134 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the Tall Boys brackets. You cut a small section out of the bottom of the lower with the provided template. They are awesome! (36" inseam, too)

The following users liked this post:
Mxdad (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tri-J
I have the Tall Boys brackets. You cut a small section out of the bottom of the lower with the provided template. They are awesome! (36" inseam, too)

Thanks I will look into those

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 343 Likes on 178 Posts

I added a tour pack to my Road Glide for about a grand. I found a 15 trunk off a salvage bike, purchased the Drag Specialties quick detach, had the seat re done and had Harley flash the stereo for the back speakers. Harley wanted to charge me 1500 for one without speakers, lights or rack.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

dont forget about shocks the 13 inch on the ultra beat the snot out of 12 inters especially 2- up.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

and seat, the passenger will demand a new seat if u get the special.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies, good info. Saw the 17 RGU today and was offered a test ride unfortunately was in a meeting prior wearing a suit so I declined may go back tomorrow. They had a black RGU on the floor and the Orange SGS. The
Orange in person is a good looking color. Sat on the RGU and fired it up, nice deep rumble. From a looks standpoint the M8 is a looker. Tucked in breather gives much more room on the right side. Salesman said on his first ride the torque compared to the 16 really stood out for him a lot more pull throughout the gears and much better response. He has a 16 with stage 1 and said he much prefers the M8. Did mention they still have a good selection of 16s but he is finding it difficult to steer folks to the 16. Feels that once they ride the two they will choose the 17