2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does the EPA fine mean for other after market tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016 | 12:46 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser

Originally Posted by todd-67
Fuel moto just posted that they have a way into the ECM but that is all that they stated. I would assume that Harley would not block out the aftermarket since the EPA not the competition shut down that portion of their business.

Harley is still selling it's Street Tuner with limited adjustability, which means there is indeed a way into the ECM, which means if Harley can figure it out, so can Fuel Moto.

If there's a way to block it, there's a way in. Dodge claimed they had their ECMs blocked in 2015, took just weeks for the aftermarket to figure it out. You had to send your ECM in for internal physical mods, but it was doable. As far as I know that method still stands.

There have been aftermarket ECMs for Harleys for years, there will be more.

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:03 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

I do not think it means anything to the after market folks. you will always be able to modify your bike for race usage. BUT there are a few things the EPA can do to put a fly in the soup.

They can limit how available Harley makes road tuning available. you have to have a connection to the computer and they can force Harley to limit that connection. I think they have already done that with the Yamaha brand of cruisers. or....

They can force states to do emissions testing on motorcycles. Missouri only has a safety inspection for motorcycles now. the way the epa can force emission's testing on motorcycles is to require it be done, or cut federal highway funds to the states that do not comply. so far every time they threaten of cutting highway funds the states comply.

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:07 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

has anyone noticed that in giving the spill for the new Milwaukee eight, that the marketing talking heads all say that it has more power and torque..... but listen carefully, they also say that it runs cleaner. I found that real interesting. since when has Harley EVER said a motor runs cleaner?

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:10 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
With the fine from the EPA against Harley, what's this going to mean for other after market tuners? Like Vance and Hines and their FP3.
I'd think that since tampering with emissions-sensitive systems on ANY on-the-road-use vehicle has been illegal for decades, they'll just have to bite the bullet if the EPA starts enforcing the law on bikes.

Surely they've seen this coming for years, anyway.

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:13 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
has anyone noticed that in giving the spill for the new Milwaukee eight, that the marketing talking heads all say that it has more power and torque..... but listen carefully, they also say that it runs cleaner. I found that real interesting. since when has Harley EVER said a motor runs cleaner?
Sounds like they just thought up one more lie to add to the near-infinitely-long list they already have!

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:14 PM
liquidr1
Road Master

Fuel Moto posted they will begin R&D soon and already prepared to work with the power vision. so they know something.

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:28 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Sounds like they just thought up one more lie to add to the near-infinitely-long list they already have!

you know before you go ***** nilly calling things out as lies, it might suit you to do just a little research first with this thing called google. Now I didn't actually google it when I first heard it said about the motor running cleaner (as I heard it in a few videos), but a quick google search pretty much confirms what I said.....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ha...eight-big-twin

now quietly take that corner seat sir.....

Old 08-24-2016 | 03:09 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
you know before you go ***** nilly calling things out as lies, it might suit you to do just a little research first with this thing called google. Now I didn't actually google it when I first heard it said about the motor running cleaner (as I heard it in a few videos), but a quick google search pretty much confirms what I said.....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ha...eight-big-twin

now quietly take that corner seat sir.....
Well, maybe I did jump to an unsubstantiated conclusion, but just going by what the MoCo's propaganda and their other assorted sales-related BS has amounted to in the past, one might very well assume that this is just more of the same.

Personally, I don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of a large corporation regarding sales-pitches to be factual.

But to each his own, everybody's different.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-24-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2016 | 04:15 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Well, maybe I did jump to an unsubstantiated conclusion, but just going by what the MoCo's propaganda and their other assorted sales-related BS has amounted to in the past, one might very well assume that this is just more of the same.

Personally, I don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of a large corporation regarding sales-pitches to be factual.

But to each his own, everybody's different.

Well that is a very valid point. I typically do not believe anything the talking heads say because their ultimate job is to sell product.

But almost everything I have read/heard about the new engine has me saying how can it run cleaner. larger plugs to make a bigger bang, 2 valves per cylinder which to me (and they said as much) pushes more exhaust out. The only thing I can figure is that there is less "waste" gas when the it fires and therefore less ommissions. now that ****ing did it, now I gotta look at tech specs to figure out whats it doing to burn cleaner. this OCD is going to kill me one day.

Old 08-24-2016 | 05:47 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Twin sparks, twin injectors for each cyl = much better combustion. You get both more power and less emissions as the fuel is more completely burned.

Quick Reply: So what does the EPA fine mean for other after market tuners?