Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:09 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I've never heard anything but static on my CB. I've scanned channels going down the interstate with truckers going both ways and I'm not even sure it works! I had no idea until the other day it was a full 40 channel unit...I thought it was just the preset 8 channels until I pushed the joystick sideways!! DUH...

I wish I had a portable CB for testing...or a friend with one in the vehicle. Sure not like the old days where EVERYONE had one.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:14 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Plongson - I use mine all the time. HOG Chapter rides, and when riding down the road.

I did buy a portable so I can test mine during the winter in my garage. Chapter member here found that the problem was a loose connection in the trunk. You cna get a portable for about $69.

Do you ride with anyone that has one? Or, next time you stop by a Harley dealer, have them key the mic on one they have.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Ha, That's a GREAT idea! I swing by my dealer quite often...I'll hit 'em up...

Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
I've never heard anything but static on my CB.
In addition, if you are only hearing static, your squelch is set too low. You need to increase the squelch one bar at a time until the static goes away. Typically this is 3-5 bars. Don't go too high or you won't hear anyone at all.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz

Anyone that wants maximum performance/range from their H-D CB should run completely new, high quality shielded 50 ohm coax with TNC connector attached at the CB unit, all the way back to the CB antenna stud as a single, integral piece of coax, preferably cut to 1/4 wavelength (roughly 9 foot).
As someone who is handy with replacing stuff, but not so electrically inclined, and idea where a guy could get such a cable?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:35 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
As someone who is handy with replacing stuff, but not so electrically inclined, and idea where a guy could get such a cable?
I am betting that a replacement cable with a TNC male connector on one end and a UHF SO-239 male connector on the other end will require buying the coax and crimping heads onto it. It is probably also the only way to route the coax cleanly into the faring and tour-pak. Lastly, if you do that, you will not be able to easily remove the tour-pack because it will eliminate the connection just in front of the tour-pak.

Not to mention, I am not even sure the connector at the antenna stud is UHF SO-239. I am guessing not but will have to look to know.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
I am betting that a replacement cable with a TNC male connector on one end and a UHF SO-239 male connector on the other end will require buying the coax and crimping heads onto it. It is probably also the only way to route the coax cleanly into the faring and tour-pak. Lastly, if you do that, you will not be able to easily remove the tour-pack because it will eliminate the connection just in front of the tour-pak.

Not to mention, I am not even sure the connector at the antenna stud is UHF SO-239. I am guessing not but will have to look to know.
The connector at the antenna stud is not SO-239 but if you're willing to drill the TP you can add the connector just like the am/fm antenna

Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1

https://onlinecables.com/rf-fxc/inde...cable=&length=

The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:22 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PSRumors
The connector at the antenna stud is not SO-239 but if you're willing to drill the TP you can add the connector just like the am/fm antenna
Bummer. I am not one interested in drilling the TP.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

I installed the new antenna this past weekend and was able to tune it to 1.3:1. The center load is just above the top tip of the AM/FM antenna, well above my head, so I am hoping for better range. I haven't had the chance to test the range yet.

Antenna is so long I have to take it off before pulling it into my garage. I can live with that because I will only use it on HOG rides or multi-day touring rides. Rest of the time I will have the stock antenna mounted.

Quick Reply: CB Radio Upgrade Kit