Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Kevinch- thanks - I was hoping someone had a lit and could provide some answers.

One of the guys in our chapter told me the problem was indeed groud (k=lack thereof for the Harley). This guys is pretty high tech and made his own ground connections and said there was a big improvement.

He showed me where the frame was spilt thereby resulting is less ground. The J&M kit does exactly what he did so I figured it would make a difference.

He also told me to go with the short antenna - improvement noted.

The kit is on sale now for $101 and I will be at a rally in Montana soon. Sierra Electronics is going to install it for me. My hope is- they have all of the tools there to completely check everything out and make any other needed adjustments.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Kevinch- thanks - I was hoping someone had a lit and could provide some answers.
You are welcome & good luck. I hope it works out for you. Will you be doing any tests (as were conducted in the post I linked to) before & after to check performance? I for one would like to know the results.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes I will do some test. Here is my plan.

I am going to Billing, MT - there is a bike rally there. Both J&M and Sierra Electronics will be at that rally. I am taking my portable CB radio with me so I can measure the distance before the install.

I also sent a note to John from J&M and shared my concerns that some folks don't think his kit makes a difference. Then I told him - since both he and the installer will be at the rally, I will bring the bike by before the install and after the install.

If there is no measurable difference, he can explain or share what might be wrong. This will hopefully provide a second opinion on the kit and give others some additional options/realities.

J&M said the poster is not correct - but you might expect that from someone that is selling something. My thoughts are - he is there, his master installer is putting it in - so, if no difference, then something is definitely wrong with his kit.

Yep, the cost if north of $100 plus the install - but, I guess I am willing to pay to find out. If it works - good. If not, then he can tell me why and try to explain his product.

Now, having said all of that - everything I have read about the bike CD talks about grounding being a problem. I even went to some CB sites and they said much of the same and talked about the RG58 cable - which is included in his kit but not currently on the bike. I also see the ground straps for the bike - so, it sort of makes sense to me.

Last edited by cycle7447; 08-16-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

I am going to Billing, MT - there is a bike rally there. Both J&M and Sierra Electronics will be at that rally. I am taking my portable CB radio with me so I can measure the distance before the install.

I also sent a note to John from J&M and shared my concerns that some folks don't think his kit makes a difference. Then I told him - since both he and the installer will be at the rally, I will bring the bike by before the install and after the install.

If there is no measurable difference, he can explain or share what might be wrong. This will hopefully provide a second opinion on the kit and give others some additional options/realities.

J&M said the poster is not correct - but you might expect that from someone that is selling something. My thoughts are - he is there, his master installer is putting it in - so, if no difference, then something is definitely wrong with his kit.

Yep, the cost if north of $100 plus the install - but, I guess I am willing to pay to find out. If it works - good. If not, then he can tell me why and try to explain his product.

Now, having said all of that - everything I have read about the bike CD talks about grounding being a problem. I even went to some CB sites and they said much of the same and talked about the RG58 cable - which is included in his kit but not currently on the bike. I also see the ground straps for the bike - so, it sort of makes sense to me.

Looking forward to the results of your test

Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Are the stock antennas tunable?
Yes, by removing the mast and grinding off the end of the antenna. No more than about 1/8" at a time

The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by prostar
Stock Antennas are not tunable. One of our local RF "experts" and he really is swears the short Harley antenna is tuned better and puts out better the stock antenna. From listening to many other riders I believe it also. The other thing to check is the ground connection in your tour pack.
Yes they are tunable and no the short antennas are not as good for Tx'g.
See post above.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:50 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Tom - thanks for the input.

Everyone else here say they have some CB background and that thee original antenna is not tunable. I see you say yes they are.

Is this from your experience or background? Curious

Old 08-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Tom - thanks for the input.

Everyone else here say they have some CB background and that thee original antenna is not tunable. I see you say yes they are.

Is this from your experience or background? Curious
You will change the tune of any antenna by changing the length. Tuneable, or more accurately "adjustable" antennas have an adjustment screw at the top which effectively changes the length as it is shortened or lengthened.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:00 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Marcia Fettinger
Yes, by removing the mast and grinding off the end of the antenna. No more than about 1/8" at a time
Interesting. I ordered a replacement swr meter, so I will recheck it once it arrives. Thank you for the info!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I am going to Billing, MT - there is a bike rally there. Both J&M and Sierra Electronics will be at that rally. I am taking my portable CB radio with me so I can measure the distance before the install
What bike rally is going on in Billings?

Quick Reply: CB Radio Upgrade Kit