Sponsored by:

Salvage Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 338 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Salvage Trunk

I purchased a trunk from a salvage bike. This thing has all the bells and whistles including speakers. I have a Road Glide Standard with the small stereo. My question is should I try hooking up the speakers to my unit, or do I need to upgrade before I bother with it. I really think my stereo does not have enough power to handle it. Opinions?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:25 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

if its a newer bike, all u have to do is hook em up and take it to the dealer for a flash that enables the rear speaker output.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM
caddman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may need a harness to get your speakers connected. After you get it flashed, get some after market speaker and amp. then you will have plenty of power.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

So if I purchase the OEM harness, the flash will enable the trunk volume controls? Also, will the OEM speakers be able to handle an aftermarket amp?

Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
caddman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would contact your dealer about the Flash (before you spend money on the harness). I would also recommend new speakers, But you could always try it with the OEM speaker.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:17 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I purchased a trunk from a salvage bike. This thing has all the bells and whistles including speakers. I have a Road Glide Standard with the small stereo. My question is should I try hooking up the speakers to my unit, or do I need to upgrade before I bother with it. I really think my stereo does not have enough power to handle it. Opinions?

Depends on the year of bike your talking about. Seems it is a newer '14, '15, '16 since you mention the smaller radio. This is not a plug and play operation as the main bike harness is different on the bikes, I am going through this now on my '16 SGS. Many will tell you its not worth the trouble but it is all in what YOU want. I am mainly doing mine for passenger intercom and just to say I did it. I ended up finding a main harness from a salvaged '14 limited that has all of the connectors still intact. Once I finish the swap, I still will have to have the radio flashed for the rear speakers and "maybe" rear intercom switches to work. The weather has to cool off before I tackle this project.

Good luck...
Jace

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Gee ....... Just 'cause our THI is 107 at the moment .......... lol

Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

Yes the bike is a 15 as well as the salvage bike it came from. My real interest in the rear speakers is that if I remove them it leaves 2 hugh holes in the back. I just don't want to patch before knowing all I can about getting this thing operational or just dumping the speakers. I appreciate all the comments.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:54 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
Yes the bike is a 15 as well as the salvage bike it came from. My real interest in the rear speakers is that if I remove them it leaves 2 hugh holes in the back. I just don't want to patch before knowing all I can about getting this thing operational or just dumping the speakers. I appreciate all the comments.
You can add the rear speakers by running another set of wires to them and use and amp to power them. This will NOT allow for the rear switches to work but will get the sound your after. It may not be as bad as what my swap ends up being if you just want sound.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:57 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Gee ....... Just 'cause our THI is 107 at the moment .......... lol
Yeah, is not on my things to do right now. Bike is covered up and plugged in.

Quick Reply: Salvage Trunk