Sponsored by:

GPS Select ALL

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts
Default GPS Select ALL

I have had the harley GPS since it first came out. I am just now applying myself to learning how to use it. I will say up to this point it's been going good. I have read the manual multiple times I've watched YouTube videos. I tried to follow and find threads in hdforums as of late.

I guess my question is and still confusion is on importing route to bike and "Select All"
From the multiple discussions here and the videos I selected the top choice. What happened was I had two destinations and the top one was the second half of the route. " location 2 location 3. In short the whole route did not load. Being a newbie I did not figure this out until the next day and I really started looking at everything. Interesting enough the route I had planned did half-*** work but was obviously screwed up. It did end up getting us to where we were going which was a big help.

Today when I looked into it I did "select all" and all the route loaded. I could see two trips. Just can't find an explanation of why or when to select all and when not to.

I've seen many discussions and don't select all. I'm wondering if anybody could be so kind as to try to explain it one more time.

Last edited by Sam2010; 08-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:21 PM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like you have entered 3 locations. One location which is a starting point, another location in the route and another at the end. If so, you will need to ride for the starting location to the 2nd one and then end that route. Then select the 2nd route. Another way is to go in and change the 2nd location to a way point. Think all you have to do is right click on it and delete it and then change it to a way point.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smithk
It sounds like you have entered 3 locations. One location which is a starting point, another location in the route and another at the end. If so, you will need to ride for the starting location to the 2nd one and then end that route. Then select the 2nd route. Another way is to go in and change the 2nd location to a way point. Think all you have to do is right click on it and delete it and then change it to a way point.
That is correct how I made the route. But loading it is where I messed up and questing the select all. Yes I do understand change destination/location to way point and make it one trip. I made 2 trip because one I did not know how it would respond to route back getting on a portion of route that I rode TO location. Two different routes on the round trip. With a small portion of route the same on the way back.
Thank you for your input.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts
The following users liked this post:
banddirector (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you I have seen the video.

I'm just saying on the trip I made if you select one of the trips the whole thing does not load.

Select all loads the whole deal to the bike. So I don't understand if you have multiple locations why you wouldn't use select all and that seems to be the way to go. On that type of route.

I get it people are mostly just using a bunch of waypoints and one big trip.

I guess at the end of the day I just need more time and practice with it. But right now to me it seems if you want to use multiple locations select all seems to work fine. So then that leads me to the question why are all the videos and advice saying not to use select all?

I don't doubt it a bit there's a reason everybody is giving that advice to not select all. But it does not make sense to me.

Don't worry though I will not bump this again and keep beating a dead horse.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Do not select all select the file that you named. it should be the second one on the list

If you select all on 1 or 2 routes depending on size you will overfill the memory and if that happens you will have to do a factory reset.

Not a big deal Don't ask how I know.

Last edited by 14cvoultra; 08-02-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Sam2010 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure to occasionally clean up the storage from imported/saved trips and also locations. It's basically a harddrive. And they can get full. ;-)

Sam2010 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:38 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14cvoultra
Do not select all select the file that you named. it should be the second one on the list

If you select all on 1 or 2 routes depending on size you will overfill the memory and if that happens you will have to do a factory reset.

Not a big deal Don't ask how I know.

Yes, yes ok I think that makes sense to me. I need to load the second one on the list which is the first trip. The one I named originally. The first one on the list is Trip 2. I definitely know that one does not work route correctly. It was screwy big time but actually got where I was going.

Deleting trips from trips and
Deleting trips from saved does no good on the memory if you use select all?
If you use select all and your memory fills up do a factory reset.
I'm going to do an experiment Thursday day and run part of that trip. I obviously need the practice. LoL

Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are asking if Deleting trips Works Yes it does up to the point of using up all the memory
and you do not know when that will happen until it is to late.

Example: When I first started working with the infotainment system I built a route for a trip I was planing. I imported all thinking Hey I need it all right well that was wrong everything you need is in the file that you made and named. I then tried to delete the route it would not let me.
Searched and found the reset directions did a reset not one to give up I did this a couple more times not realizing what was causing the problem.

So now for the last 2 years I make my routes for each day I import 1 or 2 days of routes depending on size and # of waypoints in each file after use I delete the route keeping a copy on my travel laptop for future use or return trip.
By the way I have routes with up to 45 waypoints that work fine have not tried with any more than that yet

Just for info I have been using Garmin GPS
many models near 30 years and they all have quirks this one is no different. once you learn them this thing works just as well as the others.

another way I like to use the info system is to just pick small towns about 75 to 100 miles apart If i plan to ride 400 miles that day I would pick 4 towns in the direction I wanted to go Then select avoid HWY's, tolls, dirt roads And select scenic or twistes The system has found and took me on some of the best roads I have ever ridden.

good luck you will get it If you search my posts
you will also find that I have set up full Blue tooth voice commands on my bike for on the fly changes.

Sam2010 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14cvoultra
If you are asking if Deleting trips Works Yes it does up to the point of using up all the memory
and you do not know when that will happen until it is to late.

Example: When I first started working with the infotainment system I built a route for a trip I was planing. I imported all thinking Hey I need it all right well that was wrong everything you need is in the file that you made and named. I then tried to delete the route it would not let me.
Searched and found the reset directions did a reset not one to give up I did this a couple more times not realizing what was causing the problem.

So now for the last 2 years I make my routes for each day I import 1 or 2 days of routes depending on size and # of waypoints in each file after use I delete the route keeping a copy on my travel laptop for future use or return trip.
By the way I have routes with up to 45 waypoints that work fine have not tried with any more than that yet

Just for info I have been using Garmin GPS
many models near 30 years and they all have quirks this one is no different. once you learn them this thing works just as well as the others.

another way I like to use the info system is to just pick small towns about 75 to 100 miles apart If i plan to ride 400 miles that day I would pick 4 towns in the direction I wanted to go Then select avoid HWY's, tolls, dirt roads And select scenic or twistes The system has found and took me on some of the best roads I have ever ridden.

good luck you will get it If you search my posts
you will also find that I have set up full Blue tooth voice commands on my bike for on the fly changes.
Okay cool so by not selecting all does not put it in the save folder the delete thing still not clear to me because it seems like I can delete them.

If you make a trip with multiple locations you must load each of those trips. And I see now that you can load each of those trips without selecting all. Both trips look accurate. When I check route.

I think I got it.

Quick Reply: GPS Select ALL