Sponsored by:

Weird Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:11 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Weird Issue

OK, see if you've heard of this one before. Recently my red security light started staying on. I've been told that it usually indicates a light is out somewhere. I checked all of the lights and turn signals and everything is ok. Then a few days ago I had to move the bike around in the garage and noticed that the alarm lights weren't flashing, even though I didn't have the fob on me. So I decided to try to start it and, sure enough, it fired right up with no key fob nearby.

I spoke with the service department at the local dealer and the service writer said they've never had that happen before. Unfortunately my factory warranty expired last month. I do have the ESP, but now I have to shell out $50.00 to get this thing checked out. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:42 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What you describe actually sounds like the security system was disabled (just like they do with demos at the dealership, for instance). Did you have it in the shop recently?

Oh, and can we trade, please? I seem to have the opposite of that happen to me (on both my Harleys!): damn alarm goes off even with FOB present when I move the bike around (switch in off position). FOB battery is new, bike battery fully charged, heck, entire bike is new! Although it does also happen with my FLD once in a while. That's why I'm wondering if there is some disturbance in the garage. I can only prevent the alarm going off when I turn the switch to "run" (not only to ACC). It does fire up without any issue though.

I guess depending on how important you find that security system to be will determine whether you want to shell out the dough to have the stealer check it out. I personally don't care too much for alarms. No one cares about them as they go off way too many times without anyone trying to steal the bike... Fork lock is probably more efficient, really. And, of course, brake disc lock.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Before taking it to the dealer, please try this. Hope it helps.

For 2001 and up Harley Davidsons with TSSM Security Module, (key icon displays when key is turned to ignition position)

if your security light stays on for a prolonged period of time, if you have changed your battery or disconnected your battery when fitting components such as LED turns & if you have fitted LED turns without a load equalizer, you will need to reprogram your OEM Module.

Always wait for confirmation before hitting the next step:

step # 1. move handle bar kill switch to off position

step # 2. turn your ignition key: on-off, on-off then on

step # 3. hit the left turn signal twice.
your turn signals and indicator light will flash 1 - 3 flashes

step # 4. hit the right turn signal once.
turn signals and indicator light will flash once.

step # 5. hit the right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash twice.

step # 6. hit right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash three times.

step # 7. hit left turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals flash to indicate error code

step # 8. to now clear codes, hit left turn signal and hold down for 6 seconds until confirmation.
turn and indicator signals flash twice.

step # 9. turn the ign switch to off

Thats it, TSSM is now reset and ready to roll

Last edited by cycle7447; 07-20-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Last year the red light started staying on with my 14 Low Rider when I was riding it. The battery was low in the keyfob and the security system was losing the link to it. After I changed the battery in the fob the light stayed out. Yours sounds more involved though if it starts without the fob.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
OK, see if you've heard of this one before. Recently my red security light started staying on. I've been told that it usually indicates a light is out somewhere. I checked all of the lights and turn signals and everything is ok. Then a few days ago I had to move the bike around in the garage and noticed that the alarm lights weren't flashing, even though I didn't have the fob on me. So I decided to try to start it and, sure enough, it fired right up with no key fob nearby.

I spoke with the service department at the local dealer and the service writer said they've never had that happen before. Unfortunately my factory warranty expired last month. I do have the ESP, but now I have to shell out $50.00 to get this thing checked out. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
What year and model? On the bikes with a BCM the Security light will comes back on after starting if there is a code recognized by the BCM.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

If warranty expired last month.We assume You have a 2014 .Checking for codes is easier.Press and hold the trigger switch( the switch on top of left switch assembly),Turn ignition to on or accessory.You will see different fault code modes in the speedometer display.Step through each mode by pressing trigger switch.Clear code by holding down trigger switch.
If this does not solve Your problem try resetting Your security code.It acts like it has no code set.Mine was like that when it was delivered to Me.The Dealer did not set a security code,so the security system did not work.

The following users liked this post:
Super08 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Super08
Supporter

Good piece of info on code checking, thanks.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:29 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Valpal, does this happen to you in the same area and no where else.? I have heard that an electric field can cause issues similar to what you are experiencing. I heard some one say that they had to walk their bike to the other side of a store to get out of the electric field to start their ride.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:35 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
Valpal, does this happen to you in the same area and no where else.? I have heard that an electric field can cause issues similar to what you are experiencing. I heard some one say that they had to walk their bike to the other side of a store to get out of the electric field to start their ride.
Yeah, I red that too, that's why I thought about something like this being a potentially the issue. I only experience this in my (large, multi-family) garage as that's the only place where both bikes are at the same time. And honestly I haven't moved the bike in other places without the ignition on as I'm embarrassed to potentially have the damn alarm go off. But I will need to try that some place where no one will notice the siren.

Thinking about it now: it might actually the be other cars' alarm system? There a lot of (modern) cars in that garage where some definitely have alarm systems. I will test with the bike out in the sticks and see what happens. And who knows, maybe the FOB battery is already weak (again)... these damn things don't last very long for me, somehow.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Super08
Supporter

Make sure you keep your fob away from other remote fobs or cells in your pocket or it will drain the battery quicker from what it said in the manual.

Quick Reply: Weird Issue