Sponsored by:

I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016 | 12:58 PM
VinceTheArchitect
|
Tourer
Question I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please

So far this year, I have done several 800 mile weekend trips, with more on the horizon. As such, I want to get a proper touring bike. I currently own a 2013 Dyna Switchback FLD. In an ideal world, I would keep the Dyna, but my wife is making the situation less than ideal...

I am really torn on which should be my next step in bikes. I have ridden every variant of the touring line. I have narrowed it down to TWO choices, on which I have holds. Cost is a non-issue, as they are only about $500 apart. So I turn to the knowledge of the boards to help get an outside opinion, and some prospective.

I'm 5'-5" and ride ride a often as possible, year 'round, rain or shine. 99.9% solo. I love to tear through the countryside, commute in the city, and rocket down the super-slab.

First is an Ultra Classic Low, 2015 with 1,500 miles on it. I really like the way this moves. Far more agile than I ever would have guessed for a bike this size. Everything fits right; floor boards, handlebars, controls, etc. A little adjustment in the seat, and it's done. This is literally the first bike I have ever ridden the with heel/toe shift where the heel shift wasten't in my way. I really like all the extra protection it offers, as I ride year 'round and am not scared off by the rain. I love, love, LOVE the looks of the Amber/Charcoal I have on hold.

Second is a shiny new Road Glide Special. Another that fits really well. I like the frame mount fairing, which still keeps the "wind in my face" feeling more than the Ultra, but makes the controls harder to reach. Another agile bike for its size. Add a sissy bar for my suitcase and it's ready to hit the highway. But I can't shake the feeling of an RGS being a comprimise between the Dyna and the Ultra. I'm less in love with the looks. The faring I like, it's the drab color options and the rear lighting I don't like (perhaps a different fender from a Road King).

Before anyone suggests an RGU or a standard Ultra, I just do NOT fit on the standard size Ultras. They are too tall for me, to the point I'm not comfortable physically or mentally.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, input, and feedback.

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:04 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser

Sounds like you have already made the decision (Ultra Low). It fits, you like the looks, so why are you looking at the RGS?
If you want more "wind in your face", get a lower windscreen and/or remove lowers ( I dunno if you're getting twin cooled or not).

I went to buy a SGS and ended up with a Ultra Ltd. By the time i added the creature comforts for the wife, the SGS was almost as much $$.

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:06 PM
tyrant33
Tourer

Just a tip. The 17's are coming out within a couple of weeks. I scored a great deal on a 16 Ultra, so they are willing to make bigger deals then normal to move the 16's out. I just traded a 14 SGS with 22,700 miles on it.

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:07 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm 6'0" and have a Rushmore '14 Ultra Limited. My friend is 5'7" [+/- 1"] and he has a '14 Road Glide. I have not regretted my choice for a second. My buddy has stated on multiple occasions that he should have checked out the "low" version of the Ultra before hastily deciding on his RG. I believe you will also like the added storage with the Ultra over the RG.

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:24 PM
spider14043
Road Captain

Definitely sounds like the Ultra Low based on your own comments.
Make the best deal you can and don't look back.

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:27 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Go with the low. As you mentioned, it's more than the sum of it's parts. It has a whole different, more nimble feeling.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:43 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior

I vote low also, seems to be the better fit for you, Good luck, and congrat's with whatever you get

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:45 PM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser

Go with the Ultra Low. I love mine, and its the best riding two up bike Ive ever rode. You wont be disappointed

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:48 PM
show-n-go
Road Master

Ultra low, and like the other guy said, take a look at new. The dealer have been told to liquidate all 16 touring bikes before August. you can get a smoken deal right now.

Old 07-18-2016 | 02:05 PM
pmk33078
Intermediate

I have the same amber/charcoal ultra low and do not regret it for one second. I like the look of the street glide better but after having the tour pack ill never be without one.

Quick Reply: I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please