2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016 | 07:19 AM
Djeazie
Cruiser

Get the detachable kit for your solo rides. Best of both worlds. Even your colors...

Old 07-20-2016 | 07:29 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
So far this year, I have done several 800 mile weekend trips, with more on the horizon. As such, I want to get a proper touring bike. I currently own a 2013 Dyna Switchback FLD. In an ideal world, I would keep the Dyna, but my wife is making the situation less than ideal...

I am really torn on which should be my next step in bikes. I have ridden every variant of the touring line. I have narrowed it down to TWO choices, on which I have holds. Cost is a non-issue, as they are only about $500 apart. So I turn to the knowledge of the boards to help get an outside opinion, and some prospective.

I'm 5'-5" and ride ride a often as possible, year 'round, rain or shine. 99.9% solo. I love to tear through the countryside, commute in the city, and rocket down the super-slab.

First is an Ultra Classic Low, 2015 with 1,500 miles on it. I really like the way this moves. Far more agile than I ever would have guessed for a bike this size. Everything fits right; floor boards, handlebars, controls, etc. A little adjustment in the seat, and it's done. This is literally the first bike I have ever ridden the with heel/toe shift where the heel shift wasten't in my way. I really like all the extra protection it offers, as I ride year 'round and am not scared off by the rain. I love, love, LOVE the looks of the Amber/Charcoal I have on hold.

Second is a shiny new Road Glide Special. Another that fits really well. I like the frame mount fairing, which still keeps the "wind in my face" feeling more than the Ultra, but makes the controls harder to reach. Another agile bike for its size. Add a sissy bar for my suitcase and it's ready to hit the highway. But I can't shake the feeling of an RGS being a comprimise between the Dyna and the Ultra. I'm less in love with the looks. The faring I like, it's the drab color options and the rear lighting I don't like (perhaps a different fender from a Road King).

Before anyone suggests an RGU or a standard Ultra, I just do NOT fit on the standard size Ultras. They are too tall for me, to the point I'm not comfortable physically or mentally.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, input, and feedback.
1- Trade in the wife for a newer, more agreeable model.

2- Keep your Dyna.

3- Get the bike that you really want that fits best (the UC Low would be my choice, but that's just me).

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2016 | 09:03 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

After riding across Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota I would choose the RG. The wind hitting the fairing does not affect the steering nearly as much as a fairing attached to the forks instead of the frame. After you are riding (or leave the bike sitting with the front wheel straight forward) I like the lines of the shark the best also.

Old 07-20-2016 | 01:49 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

It's been over 35 years since the wife climbed on the back of my bike. She rides her own Limited now.
Enroll your wife in a beginners riding course and give her the Dyna as a graduating present.
Just sayin

Old 07-20-2016 | 06:41 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

The theory its only heavy when its not moving holds true. My 15 RGS can nearly balance by itself when upright. One day when i was adjusting my highway pegs i leveled the bike put both feet on the pegs and thought to myself are you kidding me. Thats just how good the 15+ Road Glides are balanced. I went from an 883 Sporty to a RGS and i can't stand to even sit on my Sportster anymore. Feels like a moped to be honest.

Old 07-20-2016 | 06:47 PM
Kseeley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Djeazie
Get the detachable kit for your solo rides. Best of both worlds. Even your colors...

That's a sharp looking bike!!

Old 07-20-2016 | 06:50 PM
tonymcdonald578@yahoo.com
Stage IV
Default Ultra Limited Low

I went from a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T to a 2016 Ultra Limited Low. Should have done it years ago. Love the Low.

Old 08-01-2016 | 02:49 PM
jhavign
1st Gear

I'm 5'7" and purchased a Ultra Limited Low, green and black, and love it, except for the seat. I just drove it from Florida to New Hampshire in June. I used an Airhawk seat pad and that worked pretty good. I looked for other seats, but I don't want to give up the low seat, so the pad will have to do. I got almost 5K off the MSRP in may, and I think you can probably do even better now that the 17's are almost here.

Old 08-01-2016 | 06:00 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

All of the controls are all on the Handlebars, so you shouldn't even have to use touch the screen at all after your start riding.

Old 08-01-2016 | 09:10 PM
toecat2000
Cruiser

I looked at limited lows at several places in northcentral ohio. They sure aren't coming off the price much

Quick Reply: I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please