Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016 | 07:54 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

You won't be "tearing" through the countryside on a Low! At least not if the countryside has any nice bends in the road. I borrowed one for a day. Couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership. Not enough ground clearance for me! I had to be aware of the lack of clearance 100% of the time.

I owned a Rushmore Ultra at the time.

Good luck....

Old 07-18-2016 | 08:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

i wouldnt even look at a model that isn't a wet head.

Old 07-18-2016 | 08:34 PM
295318Lvmyks
Intermediate

Sent you a PM

Old 07-18-2016 | 09:02 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Both are fine bikes! You really can't go wrong with either. But I will replete what the others said, get what makes you happy.

I have always wanted a road glide, but first settled on an Electra Glide classic. Ran that for about 4 years all the while still wanting a RG. I converted it to a road glide and ran it for about a year, then traded it for my 15 (bought new after the 16's hit the floor), best time to buy new btw.

From my experience, buy what you want, don't compromise, or you will be looking for that until you get it. This is the first time in a long while that I have no interest in a new model. I love my roadie, it's an awesome bike.

Old 07-18-2016 | 09:17 PM
muddmann
Tourer

If you can find a way get a Limited, go for it. The wet heads are the way to go. I am thinking that a Limited is about the same cost of a Ultra Low. I also don't like to loose ground clearence as someone else mentioned. Shop around you just may be suprised what you will come up with.

But get what you want, or you will never be happy. Ride safe.

Old 07-19-2016 | 09:11 AM
VinceTheArchitect
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Casper
Everyone has an opinion and you know what opinions are like
Having said that, I'm 5''7" and had a street glide special, I was installing lowers and looking at a tour pack and CB radio. I stopped myself and traded for a Ultra. I test fit both ultra low and standard ultra. I had the dealer install a ultra low seat on a standard ultra, this fit me great. I bought the ultra ( I was looking at the limited but none of the colors suited me, went with old man blue, love that color)
I searched eBay and bought a like new ultra low seat, got a good deal. I've also installed a CB radio on the ultra, not a big install, pretty straight forward install and didn't require a flash, plus all the wiring was factory installed so just connecting wires, easy peasy. I found a fellow rider that has a low and wanted to trade me for my passenger floorboards, we did and the low style passenger boards sit a lot closer to the bike and don't hit the back of my legs when backing up, a big plus for me.

The RGS or SGS are about the same as for accessories. No tour pack or lowers. Both of these I really like and find very handy. I too ride solo but enjoy the convenience of the lowers and tour pack, travel is a lot easier with them. Not saying you can't tour on a RGS without a box, just easier. Also, I've owned a RG and I too found the radio to far away, plus the sun at time will wash out the GPS and make it hard to see. If I were to get the RGS I would install lowers and a chopped tour pack. Add up the cost of these items and it makes sense to just buy the ultra.

If I were in your shoes, I would have my dealer put a ultra low seat on a standard ultra and see how that fits. The standard ultra will give a little plusher ride than the low. The low has the same shocks as the SGS or RGS and it's a harsher ride ( to me anyway)

You say you like touring, that's where the ultra will shine! You can always install the quick detachable tour pack setup and when removed have the lows of a SG, course you'll need a differen seat, the stock seat looks out of place without the tour pack.

These are my opinions, others may have a different view.
Thank you for sharing everything.

I tried the standard with a low seat, I still wasn't comfortable. The Low with the standard seat = Goldilocks Bike. I think the handlebars and lower suspension are the secret sauce. I had to do pull-back risers on my FLD, so this is not a surprise to me.

Old 07-19-2016 | 11:46 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer

I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I have a 2016 CVO RGU and have no problems making adjustments to the radio on the highway or around town. Traded a 2014 Limited for the RGU with no regrets. Test ride for a couple hours before you pull the trigger on something you may not like.

Old 07-19-2016 | 04:15 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Sounds like you have made your decision already. I am the same height as you and rode a 2005 Electra glide classic for a few years and didnt like the way i fitted on it and the extra weight. I liked the way the Ultra low fit and rode but didnt like the price tag so i tried the road glide and felt it was not a short mans bike to much wind,controls to far and felt awkward so i tried the street glide and made the deal love everything about it

Old 07-19-2016 | 08:31 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
Thank you for sharing everything.

I tried the standard with a low seat, I still wasn't comfortable. The Low with the standard seat = Goldilocks Bike. I think the handlebars and lower suspension are the secret sauce. I had to do pull-back risers on my FLD, so this is not a surprise to me.

I know just how you feel. When I was shopping, I sat on a Limited at the dealer. Lifting it up off the stand I remember thinking what a barge it was. (I was coming from a Softail). The sales guy suggested I sit on the Low. Coming up off the stand I almost tipped it over on the other side lol. The difference with the lower center of gravity is huge, it feels 200 pounds lighter.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-20-2016 | 04:52 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

there is a ultra low at man o war in lexington ky. i think its a 15. silver black.
you can get a smoking deal on it. Call the shop and ask for Pooh

Quick Reply: I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please