Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016 | 02:24 PM
VinceTheArchitect
|
Tourer

Thanks for the input so far, guys! It's been hard to find any comparison between these bikes.

Originally Posted by MDSledhead
Sounds like you have already made the decision (Ultra Low). It fits, you like the looks, so why are you looking at the RGS?
If you want more "wind in your face", get a lower windscreen and/or remove lowers (I dunno if you're getting twin cooled or not).

I went to buy a SGS and ended up with a Ultra Ltd. By the time i added the creature comforts for the wife, the SGS was almost as much $$.
I started looking a an RGS/SGS because I am always riding solo, Mrs. Architect has no desire to ride (bummer). I thought about saving a little money over a full blown Ultra.

I'm looking at the air cooled Classic, because the LTDs are just a little too rich for my blood. Not that the water cooled heads aren't worth the cost, it just blows the budget.

Originally Posted by tyrant33
Just a tip. The 17's are coming out within a couple of weeks. I scored a great deal on a 16 Ultra, so they are willing to make bigger deals then normal to move the 16's out. I just traded a 14 SGS with 22,700 miles on it.
I agree, the deals are out there, and I have looked far and wide for a new '16 Ultra Classic Low. The only ones left are shitty colors: black (meh), purple (nope), and old man blue (I'm young). My dealer thinks he can find a billet silver (a close second choice), but I'd rather have the amber/charcoal. No sense spending this much money if you don't love it, right?

Old 07-18-2016 | 03:00 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
Thanks for the input so far, guys! It's been hard to find any comparison between these bikes.

I started looking a an RGS/SGS because I am always riding solo, Mrs. Architect has no desire to ride (bummer). I thought about saving a little money over a full blown Ultra.

I'm looking at the air cooled Classic, because the LTDs are just a little too rich for my blood. Not that the water cooled heads aren't worth the cost, it just blows the budget.

I agree, the deals are out there, and I have looked far and wide for a new '16 Ultra Classic Low. The only ones left are shitty colors: black (meh), purple (nope), and old man blue (I'm young). My dealer thinks he can find a billet silver (a close second choice), but I'd rather have the amber/charcoal. No sense spending this much money if you don't love it, right?
Right!

Attached Thumbnails I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please-harley.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016 | 03:25 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

The low.....

Old 07-18-2016 | 03:25 PM
wethead103
Cruiser

I vote for the low, and here is why. I have a friend that bought a RG and he's 5'7. The biggest complaint was when reaching for the radio to make a quick change it was a lot further to reach than the batwing. I know the audience out there will say that "you can make your changes from the controls." However, there are times when you need to reach for the radio. The RG is a well suited bike for larger riders but for little guys like us, we need to be a little lower and pushed forward a bit. Good luck on your decision, you"ll be happy with either one.

Old 07-18-2016 | 03:59 PM
riderideride
Tourer

Originally Posted by wethead103
...The biggest complaint was when reaching for the radio to make a quick change it was a lot further to reach than the batwing....
The reach AND view. When using the GPS, unless rider has great eyesight, that further away screen can be hard to read, on the RGS.

Old 07-18-2016 | 04:07 PM
VinceTheArchitect
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by riderideride
The reach AND view. When using the GPS, unless rider has great eyesight, that further away screen can be hard to read, on the RGS.
I noticed that, too. But it wasn't bothersome enough to bump the RGS from the short list.

I am honestly more annoyed by the tachometer location. My car has the tach on the left, Harley puts it on the right. Combine the flip/floped location and their (bullshit) idea of using RPMx10 instead of RPMx100 indicators, and I got a little confused the first time on one.

Even though I really like the batwing ultra, there is something about the street glide I just don't like.

Old 07-18-2016 | 04:07 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect

I guess I'm from the opposite camp. I can't hardly ride my bike w/out Mrs. SledHead on the back. Going in for the 15k service this week... have ridden a total of 50 miles by myself (to and from the dealer twice).

You can also get a quick-detach kit for the tour pak... remove that and the lowers, then you look like a street glide.

Old 07-18-2016 | 04:16 PM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MDSledhead
I guess I'm from the opposite camp. I can't hardly ride my bike w/out Mrs. SledHead on the back. Going in for the 15k service this week... have ridden a total of 50 miles by myself (to and from the dealer twice).

You can also get a quick-detach kit for the tour pak... remove that and the lowers, then you look like a street glide.
Wife very seldom lets me get away from home without her on back in her recliner as she calls it. A big part of my purchase criteria was getting something we could both be comfortable on. Mission accomplished and then some with the Ultra Low !!

Old 07-18-2016 | 05:06 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Everyone has an opinion and you know what opinions are like
Having said that, I'm 5''7" and had a street glide special, I was installing lowers and looking at a tour pack and CB radio. I stopped myself and traded for a Ultra. I test fit both ultra low and standard ultra. I had the dealer install a ultra low seat on a standard ultra, this fit me great. I bought the ultra ( I was looking at the limited but none of the colors suited me, went with old man blue, love that color)
I searched eBay and bought a like new ultra low seat, got a good deal. I've also installed a CB radio on the ultra, not a big install, pretty straight forward install and didn't require a flash, plus all the wiring was factory installed so just connecting wires, easy peasy. I found a fellow rider that has a low and wanted to trade me for my passenger floorboards, we did and the low style passenger boards sit a lot closer to the bike and don't hit the back of my legs when backing up, a big plus for me.

The RGS or SGS are about the same as for accessories. No tour pack or lowers. Both of these I really like and find very handy. I too ride solo but enjoy the convenience of the lowers and tour pack, travel is a lot easier with them. Not saying you can't tour on a RGS without a box, just easier. Also, I've owned a RG and I too found the radio to far away, plus the sun at time will wash out the GPS and make it hard to see. If I were to get the RGS I would install lowers and a chopped tour pack. Add up the cost of these items and it makes sense to just buy the ultra.

If I were in your shoes, I would have my dealer put a ultra low seat on a standard ultra and see how that fits. The standard ultra will give a little plusher ride than the low. The low has the same shocks as the SGS or RGS and it's a harsher ride ( to me anyway)

You say you like touring, that's where the ultra will shine! You can always install the quick detachable tour pack setup and when removed have the lows of a SG, course you'll need a differen seat, the stock seat looks out of place without the tour pack.

These are my opinions, others may have a different view.

Last edited by Casper; 07-18-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2016 | 05:14 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

This is my 2016 SGS with a standard you pack installed, solo seat and solo mount

This is my 2012 street glide with a solo mounted chopped tour box, which I think looks better than the full size box.

This my 2010 RG with solo mounted chopped tour box.

I'm showing you these just to give you some ideas and show I've been there, done that..
I'd get the ultra, either low or standard

The following users liked this post:
VinceTheArchitect (07-18-2016)

Quick Reply: I Want a Rushmore, Help Me Decide... Please