Sponsored by:

compensator noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:52 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default compensator noise

just picked up my new 2014 street glide with 5714 miles, drove to Connecticut to get it and trailer it back home. wrote a check and payed it off and the dealer did not have the title yet which they told me after it was payed for. took 5 days to get clear title. so i was looking at the new ride checking things out and was letting it run. i kept hearing this shuttering sound in the primary and called them right away. they told me it was transmission noise and was normal on the 15's. which i knew was bullshit, compared it to several other bikes no noise present in them. so I called up customer service to see what they would do and kind of got the run around. guy asking me if I was a harley tech and could diagnosis noise concerns. well I told him I'am not a harley tech but a master GM tech with over 35 years experience so I know there is a concern and it sounds like the compensator is bad. and how are they going to resolve this noise concern. he kept telling me its the new cut gears that causes the noise. well I told him when you engage the clutch the transmission stops turning after 15 seconds or so. and the noise is still there so how can it be the trans causing the noise. well then the phone went dead for about a minute and I said are you still here and he responded to take it back to the dealer in conn. so i called tech assist back tonight and got a different assistance and this guy was more help full and said most of the time you have to go back to the selling dealer. but with that being over 12 hrs away and most likely two trips total. to take it to local dealer and have them listen to it and call us with this service number. well I called one dealer and got the run around about and was told to take it back were i bough it and they could not touch it for three weeks . called another dealer and they will listen to it tomorrow. I cant believe the bullshit you have to go through and there is no reason for such these childish games!

Last edited by target64; 07-15-2016 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coyote454 (10-05-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:01 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Our local dealers don't give a run-around if you bought elsewhere.

Might want to call Harley and complain.

I can see who you wouldn't want to use for service in the future.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Are You running SYN3 in the primary?If so, have Them put in Formula plus,or anything but SYN3.Compensator makes noise at hot idle with SYN3.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gusotto
Our local dealers don't give a run-around if you bought elsewhere.

Might want to call Harley and complain.

I can see who you wouldn't want to use for service in the future.
there were no dealers in my area that had a amber whiskey bike so I had to go else where to get one. and it this game these dealer play just like the car dealerships where they will give you and appointment 3 weeks down the road just to make you wait and the sad thing is they run out of work and there tech's go home especially in a flat rate shop.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use Formula+

Originally Posted by Harttoo
Are You running SYN3 in the primary?If so, have Them put in Formula plus,or anything but SYN3.Compensator makes noise at hot idle with SYN3.
I agree, for some reason,syn3 does not work well in primary, had same issue on my 2015 with only 1000 miles on it, changed out to Formula + and noise is gone.
Stan

Old 07-15-2016, 08:20 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stansuski
I agree, for some reason,syn3 does not work well in primary, had same issue on my 2015 with only 1000 miles on it, changed out to Formula + and noise is gone.
Stan
I have put no miles on bike took off trailer when i got home noise was present drove 300 miles and it:s gotten very loud now, the damage is done it has formula plus in it from the dealership service. no brand of oil is going to eliminate this noise. its has a loud shuttering noise that vibrates the bike at idle and as your take off from a stop it vibrates the bike.

The following users liked this post:
coyote454 (10-05-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harttoo
I dont run any harley oils either run with mobil 1 vtwin or amsoil on all the bikes i have owned and service for friends and have had no issues.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:41 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Your bikes still under warranty, any dealer should be happy to help you out,but I know where your coming from. I have 5 dealers within a 50mi radius and it took me a few times to figure who was getting my business and its not my local where I purchased my last two Ultra's. Hope you get your issue's resolved.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had same issue on my 2014 Limited about 2 years ago. They ended up putting 2 shims on compensator a new bolt with & new torque recommended by Harley. Problem solved!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Your bikes still under warranty, any dealer should be happy to help you out,but I know where your coming from. I have 5 dealers within a 50mi radius and it took me a few times to figure who was getting my business and its not my local where I purchased my last two Ultra's. Hope you get your issue's resolved.
sorry guys fat fingers typo error 2014 flhxs warranty just ran out 2 weeks before i bought bike has a 30 day warranty. figured it could be fix local save me 20 hrs of road time. have to wait till tomorrow am and dealer tech will surely hear the noise and confirm that that's not normal and call tech support and hopefully they good will it.

Last edited by target64; 07-15-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: compensator noise