Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long distance trip ever - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:45 AM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer
Question First long distance trip ever - advice?

I wasn't sure were to post this question, so I guess I'll start here as I own a 2015 Ultra Ltd. Late September, early October I plan on riding from San Antonio, TX to Denver, CO for a business related activity. I've never made a trip of this length before. My max was a trip of a about 380 miles round trip on this bike. I've done number of overnight trips, but sadly no camping trips . . . but anyway what advice would you give on making such a trip? Any advice on route? My initial selection was from SATX to Lubbock, to Santa Fe, then Up 25 to Denver. On the way back do a more direct route . . . through Amarillo in the panhandle to shave some time off. I was thinking I could go out 10 on the way up there and drive north from El Paso . . . not sure. Also, what general advice would give? I've done the obligatory google search and came up with some good ideas . . . I'm not trying for Iron Butt, but who knows on the way back I might give it a shot! My goals are relaxation, scenery on the way ( from SATX to Denver) and for min time on the way back (Denver to SATX) . . . Any ideas welcome!

Mark!

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:56 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer

A plug kit with 4-6 co cartridges or small air compressor.. I also bring along a small jump pack. Air pump for rear shocks, then the normal stuff as in rain gear and so on. When packing for a long trip I roll up cloths takes less room and the put day 1 in its own plastic bag. reuse that bag for your dirty cloths. Lots of times if I'm going some place new I will bring old underwear and socks and just throw them out. This will make room for stops at an out of state HD shop so you can bring home souvenirs of the trip. Ride safe and enjoy!!

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:59 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

That's less than 1k miles right?

My wife and I usually take one long road trip every year, at least 7-8 days and somewhere around 3,500 to 4k miles.

We pack light, she gets one saddlebag, I get the other.
The tourpak is for rain gear, sweatshirts etc.
Every 2-3 days we'll stop at a laundrymat.
Keep your cell phone charged, and a small tool kit.
HOG, AAA or some other roadside service in case you really get stuck.
Pack maps, Alleve, sunscreen, water, snacks etc.

We usually find a Comfort Inn, Days Inn etc. and never make reservations. We knock off around 3:30-4:00pm and have never had a problem finding a vacancy at that time of day.
We hit the road around 8am and by 3:30-4 it's time to relax, have a swim in the pool, a couple of beers and dinner.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but others will chime in.

Lots of times those hotels have washers and dryers also.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 07-13-2016 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ElectraGlideSteve:
hamah (07-16-2016), HD Jake (06-16-2017)
Old 07-13-2016 | 10:08 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior

The advice so far has been spot on. Just be ready for a great adventure.

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:09 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser

What was said above, plus:

Eat light meals. Drink more water than you think you need. No sugary foods or pastries. Douse yourself with water if you are riding in hot temperatures. A 500 mile/day budget is fine, even less if you're not experienced with long rides. If you've laid out the trip on a GPS, bring paper maps as a back-up. Caffeine is dehydrating, limit yourself to one cup/day, if any at all. Don't ride past an open gas station if your tank is anything less than 1/4 full. Take a break every two hours or so. Carry beef jerky and ibuprofen. If you find that it's becoming hard to make decisions, stop, cool off and hydrate. Trust your passenger's judgement; she knows you and is watching what you do. Storm front coming? Find a car wash to park in until it passes.

Last edited by Michael Haz; 07-13-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2016 | 10:21 AM
micmoren
Tourer

I live in El Paso and have made the trip to Denver numerous times, about 12 hours (done it by car, not yet on the bike). I have also made the drive from EP to SA, about 8 hours. Going North from here, you can go up 25 and then take the High Road into Taos, NM. A great scenic route full of curves. Spend the night in Taos and then make the ride into Denver the next day.

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:52 AM
MDSledhead
Cruiser

Get an SAE allen wrench set (hex wrench) that goes up to 3/8". It's very small and light. The "tool kit" that comes in the bike does not contain all sizes needed. Vise Grip plyers are also very helpful. Definitely rain gear and an xtra pair of shoes.

Don't overpack... if you are debating on whether you need it, then you don't.

Old 07-13-2016 | 11:07 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
My wife and I usually take one long road trip every year, at least 7-8 days and somewhere around 3,500 to 4k miles.

We usually find a Comfort Inn, Days Inn etc. and never make reservations. We knock off around 3:30-4:00pm and have never had a problem finding a vacancy at that time of day.
We hit the road around 8am and by 3:30-4 it's time to relax, have a swim in the pool, a couple of beers and dinner.

Ditto.
We do a two week each summer and then other 5-10 day trips. I tend to know how further I will ride at lunch. By 1-2 PM I usually call ahead to a motel in the town we want to stop at and make a reservation. Always get a room even if they are filled when I arrived. I also like to be on the road 8ish and off by 3-3:30. Same basic ride plan whether single or two up. We like to stay in smaller towns, outside of the tourist destinations or in motels (Like Moab) within walking distance of downtown's hot spots.

We'll do a long day, say 400 miles occasionally, even 650 in an emergency, but for daily travel we try to keep our runs between 270-320 miles on two lanes depending on the number of curves, National Park stops, and other stops. We try to keep stops relaxing, but focused. Pools and hot tubs are great extras, but not critical to us.

We take a short break, whether gas, pee, lunch or scenic view every hour or so. Just to walk around and enjoy the world. When single I frequently ride longer between stops, but a few short breaks spaced well make a long day seem shorter.

Old 07-13-2016 | 11:18 AM
godzilla1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
What was said above, plus:

Don't ride past an open gas station if your tank is anything less than 1/4 full.
Word . . . .

The following users liked this post:
HD Jake (06-16-2017)
Old 07-13-2016 | 02:28 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve

It's right at or slightly more than 1k . . . about 1100 miles if I go via El Paso and straight North on 25 . . .

Mark!

Quick Reply: First long distance trip ever - advice?