First long distance trip ever - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016 | 09:26 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Got a tour pack rack?...

You can get the roll bags at sporting goods stores, online or wallyworld. The bags you squeeze the air out of are also very handy for your cold weather and rain gear.
Great idea . . I already have one freebie wet/dry bag - I'll certainly get more.

thanks!

Mark

Old 07-19-2016 | 09:27 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by woodman
And don't forget to enjoy the ride.
I'm sure I will . . . should be quite the trip!

Mark!

Old 07-20-2016 | 07:11 AM
dwl25
Tourer

I haven't seen this mentioned so here goes.

Call your bank and inform them you will be traveling and your route and ask them not to turn off your credit card. Lots of little purchases (gas every 100 miles) is a red flag and they'll kill it.

It happened to me in Sturgis last year at a little fast food taco place. I was buying lunch for me and my friends ($25) and my card was denied. The little girl behind the counter looked at me like, ah poor old man biker doesn't have any money... Needless to say I was pissed as I had called my bank and they had ended up putting the notice on another account. Hence mine got shut off. I called the bank while eating lunch and got it taken care of but not before I looked like a fool in front of my friends (not that they cared, known me for years) and the fast food worker.

This bring me to my next point. Bring cash. There are places that only accept cash still left in the world. I ate lunch at one the other day. No cash no go.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2016 | 02:47 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dwl25
I haven't seen this mentioned so here goes.

Call your bank and inform them you will be traveling and your route and ask them not to turn off your credit card. Lots of little purchases (gas every 100 miles) is a red flag and they'll kill it.

It happened to me in Sturgis last year at a little fast food taco place. I was buying lunch for me and my friends ($25) and my card was denied. The little girl behind the counter looked at me like, ah poor old man biker doesn't have any money... Needless to say I was pissed as I had called my bank and they had ended up putting the notice on another account. Hence mine got shut off. I called the bank while eating lunch and got it taken care of but not before I looked like a fool in front of my friends (not that they cared, known me for years) and the fast food worker.

This bring me to my next point. Bring cash. There are places that only accept cash still left in the world. I ate lunch at one the other day. No cash no go.

I hope this helps.
Great idea on the cash/calling the credit card folks . . . I've got one bank that if something doesn't even smell right - they'll deny the charge. Annoying, but I understand it . . .

Thanks!

Mark

Old 06-15-2017 | 08:43 AM
benningtonr
Cruiser

So, I read all the posts, lots of good advice, taking a short trip myself soon. How was the trip?

Old 06-15-2017 | 08:57 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Just a thought Mark, I'll be making the trip next month. We rent a 2 bike trailer from a guy and works great. Trailer up, ride how ever many days, and trailer back. You could take your suit too! HA...
On that note: I'm itching to take a semi cross-country trip myself as I'll be retiring next month. I've done several 500 days in a row and wasn't bad. I can see getting off the bike a day, then start back.
Enjoy... be safe.

Old 06-15-2017 | 10:51 AM
Puttnik
Cruiser

Just adding....lip balm.

Old 06-16-2017 | 03:02 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Ok, thats what I get for not reading all the way through or looking at the date for old threads!! hehee I MENTIONED MY OWN MENTIONED POST..hehee ugh!

===============================================
Havent seen it mentioned yet, so will throw this out there...

The wife and I did Sturgis from Sacramento via Idaho Falls/W. Yellowstone/Billings...biggest thing that literally saved our asses was sheepskin on the seats. $38 a piece at the local Ikea. We still have them and use them on all of our long rides.

Last edited by Dutch101st; 06-16-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Ha ha! I posted the same thing last year!
Old 06-16-2017 | 04:46 PM
Oko
Club Member

I read thru this old posting and picked up an idea...fromMichael Haz.....ducking into a car wash for storms. Great idea!

And I can't believe that Timlscheffer did the same thing with a suit..had it FedEx'd. I did that for a wedding in Wash, DC.

This old thread is worth the read.

Last edited by Oko; 06-16-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling