2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long distance trip ever - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016 | 10:25 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

I packed the suit in the tour pak once ... worked fine.

Old 07-18-2016 | 10:34 AM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I packed the suit in the tour pak once ... worked fine.
Hmm . . . I just might try doing that . . . it should fold over nicely. A couple of quick swipes with iron . . .

Mark!

Old 07-18-2016 | 10:46 AM
SCQTT
Cruiser

Clothes, credit card, cash mobile phone. Go. Don't overthink it. I have only done a handful of 1K days, but a pretty normal day is 500-600 miles.

For your most efficient time use try to time your gas stops with lunch, bathroom etc.

Don't add any hardware for the bike or new gear for you right before the trip.

Lots of people take too much, because they overthink it. You're not going on an Apollo Mission.

Old 07-18-2016 | 10:48 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

Dry Erase Markers to write directions on your wind screen... Fedex Baggage to your Destination Hotel.. and FedEx it back when you are done... We went to a wedding in Colorado from Houston and that's what we did.. Our seat is a Zepplin Air Ride. Mine has 3 airbags and hers 2. It ajusts 2 inches up and down... It's awesomely comfortable... We did 5 k miles in two weeks and never got sore butts... We traveled 4 to 6 hundred miles a day. On the road we carry one set of clothes to wash and one to wear. We carried gear for all weather. Coats rain suits etc. Bring a small bottle of windex and towles to keep you wind screen clean if you have one. www.facebook.com/events/143687842421957/ Link to our Trip to Canada Blog. Harley Makes a nice bag that velcros to the top of the rack. Email pertinant information to yourself that you might need on the road. Like Credit Card numbers in case they get stolen... Use some code you work out your self on the numbers like leave out the first or second number etc. But contact info for insurance Bike particulars for service etc... Million Dollar Highway http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater ... Day 1 for us http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater Our path to Canada and back to the wedding. We made it to Canada in two and half days. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 07-18-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2016 | 11:43 AM
markdavidson
Cruiser

I came across Vail pass last October on my way back to Missouri from my San Diego round trip. I tell you what, that was a shock to the system after coming across the desert

Old 07-18-2016 | 02:47 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

The wife and I did Sturgis last year- Sacramento CA area and back. We used sheepskin on our seats ($30 at Ikea, seats are stock) and no monkey-*** problems at all...was well worth it and literally saved our asses.

The other thing that was recommended to us from a friend who has made the trip a lot was that stop every 100 miles (or so). This also worked very well for us.

Aside from that, everyone else has made good recommendations!

Old 07-18-2016 | 09:41 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

Got a tour pack rack? If you have a suit bag, you can put it in one and roll it up. You can get waterproof roll top dry bags (the end rolls up to seal one end, and there's a little valve the opposite corner to squeeze the air out.) Stuff the suit bag in one of those, roll up the opening and squeeze the air out, and attach to the rack with bungee cords. Water proof roll bags are pretty inexpensive, and we put a lot of stuff in the big one we've got. Heck, on our '14 trike packed full, we can go 5-6 days without having to do laundry, and dress for everything between hot and cold destinations, swimsuits included. My wife packs it like a freakin miniWinnebago.

You can get the roll bags at sporting goods stores, online or wallyworld. The bags you squeeze the air out of are also very handy for your cold weather and rain gear.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 07-18-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Bad Engrish, pics
Old 07-19-2016 | 09:53 AM
ev780
Tourer

Don't stress the snow. If some freak thing happens it will be done in 12 hours. Hole up and tomorrow will be a new day.

Old 07-19-2016 | 09:57 AM
ev780
Tourer

Originally Posted by markfsanderson
Hmm . . . I just might try doing that . . . it should fold over nicely. A couple of quick swipes with iron . . .

Mark!
Me too. Doable. There are some you tube videos that have great advice on folding a suit so that the creases are in natural places and no one notices.

The following users liked this post:
markfsanderson (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016 | 09:25 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by SCQTT
... not going on an Apollo Mission.
I like that! I think the computing devices on our H-D's is somewhat more than 20x the power of the computers on the latest apollos . . . and they certainly didn't have GPS! Yeah, it's easy to over think things - for sure. But I'm liking the ideas I'm seeing . . Fedex my clothes to my destination, pack light and be smart about pacing my ride v rest times . . . esp during the desert/high plains excursions.

Mark!

Quick Reply: First long distance trip ever - advice?