Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long distance trip ever - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016 | 09:20 AM
7roper7
Cruiser

Other than already mentioned, and maybe has been mentioned and I missed it:

Look into a rider backrest. They relieve the pressure on your lower back.

Get some face specific sunscreen. The moisturizing properties help with windburn. The heat and wind will really do a number on your face. Make sure your helmet has a good sun visor.

Pack an old/extra pair of glasses if you wear prescription. No way to replace them on the road should they get damaged or lost.

Good first aid kit, Rx meds, aspirin, etc.

Take a pair of thin work gloves in case you have to do road side tire repair, your riding gloves will appreciate it.

A jiffy stand pad in case you are forced to park on soft ground somewhere.

A REAL map, nice to look at in hotel room and lunch stops.

Take time to visit with locals at stops. Be interested in them and they will give you info about good places to eat and stay that google won't.

If you don't know how to pick up a tipped over bike, learn before you leave. It will happen at some point.

Glasses cleaner and microfiber for sunglasses and Rx glasses.

A pint of engine oil. Zip ties, electrical tape.

Snub nose .38

Last edited by 7roper7; 07-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2016 | 10:05 AM
Wmitz
Road Master

I take the minimum,
Leather, rain gear, night glasses, sunscreen, shorty gloves, full finger and winter gloves, maybe chaps if in cooler weather, couple of t-shirts, underwear, socks, long sleeve shirt, pump for the shocks, air gauge, small bug slide maybe a few paper towels. Leave room for new t-shirts, and go. Back in the day used to carry tools, oil etc but not now.

Scoots n Blues was a great place in Durango, if it is still there, then the ride from Durango to Silverton was great. Been some years since I was there though. Enjoy

Old 07-15-2016 | 10:08 AM
ev780
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
Riding into Denver, CO in September/October, have you ridden in the snow before? You may be lucky, or not. For Denver the average first snow is October 19th, the average first freeze is October 7th. In 2012 the first "measurable" snow was October 5th.

Denver weather is something to think about when planning your trip. You could be lucky , last year I don't think it snowed 'til the first week in November. If you're in Denver in October it won't be like riding in Texas you will be cold (frozen), but on the other hand we've ridden in December in T-shirts. It will be a gamble.
All true. Don't worry too much though. The weather in Colorado that time of year is generally STUNNING! Yeah, a storm may delay you a day or two but it will break and you will be on your way. Rain gear, high tech base layers and multiple warm layer options will make life much better. Heated grips?

I was going to suggest some great routes but I think you should stick close to major arteries until you get some long haul experience. How will your body react to multiple long days? Nice to be close to everything until you figure that out.

Finally, budget extra time. Again you will learn what your body can handle. Nothing better than a free day. If you are damn sick of the bike then sit by the pool for a day. If not then a local day ride or a leisurely route home,

Have fun.

Old 07-15-2016 | 10:12 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

And don't forget to enjoy the ride.

Old 07-15-2016 | 10:59 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Well ... lets see .. the last road trip was from NC to Daytona bike week, across the Everglades to see my Uncle then back up to NC. 4 days.

What I like to do is to keep the cost down. I stayed at KOA cabins along the way. Total cost for a place to hang the hat was ~$300. I bring a laptop and a few DVDs for night time ... need tv to fall asleep. you do need to bring linens though ... which is easier to carry than lets say a tent and sleeping bags.

Old 07-15-2016 | 03:26 PM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser

sumncguy makes a good point on the KOA cabins. A small fleece sleeping bag liner is what we have used for "linens" price for cabin vs campsite and having to carry the gear was worth it.

Old 07-15-2016 | 06:17 PM
mdrambler
Intermediate
Default Stop every 1/2 tank

The trick with long distance riding is to rest often. Run a half of a tanks and stop. Stretch, drink a bottle of water, and have a snack. You can ride all day doing this and you will not be sore at the end of the day. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-15-2016 | 10:51 PM
riderideride
Tourer

Pack light. Days of "not a soul for hundreds of miles" is over, and you're never a few hundred miles from a big box store if really need something. Cell coverage can be spotty though. Long trips, I bring my regular phone, and a burner on a different network.

Long trips are a blast. Even bad times, like getting soaked by a surprise storm, I think back at with good memories. Only events that don't have good memories is when I had to make emergency stops for restrooms. Keep travel pack kleenex or wetwipes on you, such as in your jacket pocket. Having to make a emergency stop for restroom, only to find no toilet paper, or a questionable marks on it is depressing. Lay off the deep fried, or heavy meals for breakfast or lunch. Avoid excessive alcohol, riding hung takes away some fun.

Long trips I clamp a water bottle cage to my handlebar, carrying a water bottle with a bendy straw so I can take sips with fullface. Make sure you know your security PIN. Maybe carry a spare fob battery. Make sure roadside assistance is current. Think about gas 1/2 tank, get it by 1/4 tank. GPS is handy, but paper shows the grand scale better. Get super large ziplock, put map in it, and stick to tank with blue masking tape. The blue tape will still stick after lifted to change the map, but can bring a little bit of extra tape if worried about it.

That trip does have some dull road. Suppose could do a large detour, but that would use time. If me, I'd take the quickest route, so I have more time to enjoy riding different Colorado roads throughout the Rockies.

Old 07-16-2016 | 01:15 AM
AZ-Breakout
Novice

If you can take hwy 550 (million dollar hwy) from Durango to Ouray. It's amazing!

Old 07-18-2016 | 10:19 AM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer

Thanks Guys! I'm going to certainly consolidate this advice and use it for sure . . .make a checklist out of it. Where I'm going in Denver, there's going to be a 'black tie' event . . . not sure how I'm going to pack a suit for this . . . but they'll allow casual attire though. I think I've got a good idea on the route I'm going to take there and back. I'll probably try and get there in 4 days / 3 nights just make sure I've got time. The KOA idea is intriguing . . . I'm a HOG member, is the Best Western deal something to think about? If I can, I'll record some of the ride and post it as I go . . .it's not for a couple more months though . . . The only concern of mine is the changing weather, the Ultra does have weather radio and I have a General Amateur license (KE5BAY) . . . It's been pointed out to me that some of these passes are @ 9000 feet ASL - could snow at any time. Snow's not a worry to me, I'v driven in it in New Hampshire . . . but Ice scares the dickens out of me . . . should be low probability of that though.

Thanks Again!

Mark!

Quick Reply: First long distance trip ever - advice?