2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long distance trip ever - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 11:54 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser

Stopping every couple hours is good advice, as is the never pass a gas station with less than 1/4 tank. SO......stop every couple hours, 100-150mi, at a gas station, top off the tank and cover both bases.
For beginners, split 1100 miles into 3 days, just under 400 miles or 8hrs. This will give you plenty of time to do some stopping and gawking around a bit.

Old 07-14-2016 | 04:06 AM
TheBig-O
Tourer

Extended seat time ,, you need a pad . I like my Air-Hawk .

Old 07-14-2016 | 05:20 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
Maybe with the stock seat, I have a Mustang Solo, I did 15h and 971 miles two years ago on my '10 Street Glide, Goldsboro, NC through Columbus, to South Haven, Mi. no pad. I did just buy the wife an Air Hawk though, for her derriere! She starts complaining after about a 4h day during the weekends. Not terribly,, but she used one once and loved it. So, if interested, google them, several sizes and shapes. I did buy mine from amazon, opened a CC account and got an immediate 50.00 off. Ended up being like 60.00 for it.

Old 07-14-2016 | 05:36 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

If you don't want Monkey Butt buy compression underwear and use Gold Bond or Zeosorb.
I prefer to make reservations for motels, in advance. But if I am winging it I check Yelp, Trip Advisor and Google reviews. My wife is really good at getting great rates with Priceline. I used to think a cheap motel was fine, but you better choose those carefully, after the Larry Weaver tragedy.
I like to take bottled water, and freeze them, so they defrost as I ride. I don't like paying $2/bottle on the road.
I never regret packing less than I need, except for the time it was 94° when I left, and 47° when I came back. I froze without my jacket liner,so check the extended forecast.

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:33 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

Overheating mid-day? Most small towns have a public library; quiet, comfy chairs, air conditioned, nice bathrooms, a water cooler, nobody making you feel like you have to buy anything. You might also start some interesting conversations with locals (and some consider librarians to be hotties, I suppose!) Also wifi; take your laptop/tablet in and pick your next hotel and book it then, it's surprising how fast they fill up after 5PM.

A hotel with a dryer is your priority after a heavy or long, steady rain; eventually something will get wet.

Layers for large temperature variations, and rain gear as an outer layer also blocks wind, it kinda doubles the effectiveness of the rest of the layers. I can't emphasize hydrating enough; not only for heat, but it helps a LOT when going to high elevations.

There's a Road Trips section here in the forums with thousands of posts on trips like that.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/
Enjoy!

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:41 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain

I item I that helps me on long trips is aspirin or aleve and take it about every four hours. It will help with the muscle soreness you may get or may not get.

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:49 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Medical info and contact information should be on you and on your bike. I also wear a Road ID wrist band. www.RoadID.com

Old 07-15-2016 | 06:59 AM
Chuck U. Farley
Cruiser

Just relax and have fun................common sense goes a long way when touring. The best part is learning from each trip.

Old 07-15-2016 | 08:31 AM
markdavidson
Cruiser

great advice, I would add one thing, being new, don't pressure yourself to rack up miles, set a goal of an hour, if your good, go on... your going to be getting gas in another hour anyway. A brisk walk at the gas station will get your blood flowing and recharge your batteries

Old 07-15-2016 | 08:50 AM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
I agree with TheBig-O, extra mile in a day the Air-Hawk is a need. Did almost 5000 mile trip in 10 day, one big a 800 mile day to get a part for fellow riders bike. I will say the Air-Hawk saved my butt.

Quick Reply: First long distance trip ever - advice?