Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 05:58 PM
Knuckelhead
Cruiser

Great thread - thanks !

Old 07-13-2016 | 06:04 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser

Pack light. I recently rode up to Vancouver, BC from San Francisco and back.

In my pack, I had:
1 jeans
1 shorts
1 shirt
3 sets of socks
3 underwear
Meds
1 tent
1 inflatable mattress
1 sleeping bag
tool kit
Rain gear (top and bottom)

That was all.

Take a break riding every 100 miles or every hour, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted by markfsanderson
I wasn't sure were to post this question, so I guess I'll start here as I own a 2015 Ultra Ltd. Late September, early October I plan on riding from San Antonio, TX to Denver, CO for a business related activity. I've never made a trip of this length before. My max was a trip of a about 380 miles round trip on this bike. I've done number of overnight trips, but sadly no camping trips . . . but anyway what advice would you give on making such a trip? Any advice on route? My initial selection was from SATX to Lubbock, to Santa Fe, then Up 25 to Denver. On the way back do a more direct route . . . through Amarillo in the panhandle to shave some time off. I was thinking I could go out 10 on the way up there and drive north from El Paso . . . not sure. Also, what general advice would give? I've done the obligatory google search and came up with some good ideas . . . I'm not trying for Iron Butt, but who knows on the way back I might give it a shot! My goals are relaxation, scenery on the way ( from SATX to Denver) and for min time on the way back (Denver to SATX) . . . Any ideas welcome!

Mark!

Old 07-13-2016 | 08:16 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior

Stay hydrated. That is the number one rule. Put a cup holder on your bike, if not there already and keep it filled. when you stop for gas, get more fluids.
Not sure if there is toll roads but would be a lot easier if you had a transponder. Out here in the east it is ezpass. Not sure about out thata way. I like to have my route planned ahead of time and know where I am bedding down every night. I usually call for reservations for the night as I am heading out of last nights room. Have several hotels in mind in case number one gets filled. this way you can do some research of the towns that you are staying at to ensure that you and your ride will be safe. When you park for the night, ask to keep your bike by the front door, under cover if you can. Have yet to be rejected. That way the night person can see your bike.

The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016 | 08:54 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master

Over the years I have made many long trips on my bikes.Anywhere from 1250-5000 miles. All the advice that was given is really good. Do those things & relax & enjoy. Have a safe trip!

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:37 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser

All good advice, especially never pass an open gas station and stay hydrated. I think if it was me, I would ride I-10 west to Ft. Stockton and then get on US-285 North and take it all the way to Denver. Mostly two lane and small towns. Be Safe and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:40 PM
Longridertx
Road Master

From San Antonio I wouldn't go by way of El Paso. I've made that run and to me there was a whole lot of nothing from Las Cruces to Albuquerque going up I-25. Albuquerque up is a nice ride though. I've also been up to Denver by way of Amarillo and up US-287 and to me it was a whole lot of nothing as well. If it were me I would take this route: https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...nver-282041090. The only thing I would add to the gear suggestions is to take your leathers. That time of year the cold fronts will be coming through and it can get cold and nasty fast. Think rain gear. I found out the hard way one year. I ride to Colorado every September and I can't remember a year I didn't get rained on up there at some point of the ride.

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:47 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member

buy a cool vest they really work and are a life saver. have AAA or HOG. Carry some cash on you. Carry water. During the day I eat beef Jerky and drink water or zero calorie drinks and 5 hour energy. Save heavy meal for dinner and beer. 1 coffee in the am with breakfast. good rain gear is paramount. sunscreen. mini first aid kit. Aspirin

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:20 PM
r2t2k2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
Over the years I have made many long trips on my bikes.Anywhere from 1250-5000 miles. All the advice that was given is really good. Do those things & relax & enjoy. Have a safe trip!
What he said... Enjoy the trip and have fun. Anything you might forget to pack can usually be purchased along the way.

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:48 PM
markfsanderson
|
Tourer
Lightbulb The Scenic Route . . .

HTML Code:

Still working posting a route .. .I guess google maps don't work?

Last edited by markfsanderson; 07-13-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: trying to get the maps to show . . .
Old 07-13-2016 | 11:51 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Riding into Denver, CO in September/October, have you ridden in the snow before? You may be lucky, or not. For Denver the average first snow is October 19th, the average first freeze is October 7th. In 2012 the first "measurable" snow was October 5th.

Denver weather is something to think about when planning your trip. You could be lucky , last year I don't think it snowed 'til the first week in November. If you're in Denver in October it won't be like riding in Texas you will be cold (frozen), but on the other hand we've ridden in December in T-shirts. It will be a gamble.

Quick Reply: First long distance trip ever - advice?