2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016 | 04:20 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Going from up to 6" of suspension travel to just 3" has got to be detrimental for some?
Yep. It sucks but i had a harley when i had my multi. If you upgrade the stock suspension it gets better but you are never going to have that cushy ride that is adjustable electronicly on the fly. You're going to give up a lot on the technology side in every aspect but hey it's a harley. You either like them or you don't.

Last edited by todd-67; 07-14-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:26 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Well I currently have both a 2015 R1200RT and a 2016 Street Glide. I figured that after passing the big five-oh I could buy a Harley seeing how they decided that ABS is really a good idea.

Comparing the two, well ouch.
What I like about the Street Glide compared to the RT
  1. The seat height, when you are inseam challenged its nice
  2. The sound, granted I have a SE exhaust but it just sounds right
  3. The looks, should have gone with the Road King but in all black and chrome the SG just looks authentic and the price was right.
  4. The seating position, the forward lean on the RT wears on my forearms, welcome to old age. This limits longer rides at times.
  5. The seat itself, most comfortable stock seat I have ever used
  6. So much easier to add bright lighting and such. I am all LED except the headlight (which is best to buy for that?) I have LED turns, tails, bag lights, and spots.
  7. The 4.3 radio is pretty good, speakers actually useful up to 70
  8. Enough optional accessories to mostly fix it.
What I don't like.
  1. Wind and element protection is a joke compared to the RT. Fortunately this can be fixed with lowers (later in year maybe, have to decide which brand) and fork deflectors (after market on the way)
  2. Bluetooth, oh get real. Can't wait for Sena's Livewire. Though my solution with my Sena 20s is to let the bike tell me there is a call and answer it with the Sena directly.
  3. Weight, two hundred extra pounds is a bit of a difference but the seat height does help but damn Harley, it really should not weight this much
  4. Brakes, thank goodness they are ABS but at times I get some really odd sounds while braking but cannot figure it out. Sounds like rubbing but I don't see how.
  5. The tech, TPMS would be nice.
What is a toss up.
  1. Power, the RT just outperforms but the SG just feels good.
  2. Controls, BMW used to have the same signal controls but went Japanese style awhile back so its nice to have the separate signals and the auto cancel works well
  3. Head lights, with the spots the SG is as good as the RT in most cases but I need to get the LED head light for the SG regardless. I did add Darla's to the BMW to give the front end more presence as for some reason BMW still refuses to light the front signals to make it more apparent to cages
  4. Luggage, both are pretty good and the shape of each allows one to carry stuff the other cannot so its a toss up

The following users liked this post:
Geoff Eccles (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016 | 08:37 PM
ColoStreetGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I checked the Softbrake web page and they don't sell one that fits the Harley with lower fairing.
Mine works fine at +1" on my SGS!

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:50 PM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kenwisconsin
Hi Goeff and welcome, I am also fairly new to Harley Davidson myself, owned 4 Goldwings over the last 20 years, purchased a new 2015 ultra limited last september. Many of your observations are similar to mine. If youre wanting a little more performance and less heat out of your engine contact Fuel Moto in Little Chute, wisconsin. They have probably the best reputation of any after market vendor on this forum. I purchased the ceramic coated headers that eliminate the catalytic converter, the jackpot 4 mufflers, their air cleaner and a power vision tuner from then. They set you up with a fuel map for the changes you make and provide free lifetime support on the maps if you make a change to your components. My bike runs so much cooler and the increase in power is very noticeable. I also recommend new rear shocks. I installed ohlins shocks from Motorcycle Metal. The best money ive spent on my bike. I went with the 2 adjustable model. Just thought I would give you my 2 cents on some upgrades that you would definitely enjoy. Safe riding! Ken
Thanks for the feedback Ken - exactly what I was hoping to hear! I've DEFINITELY noticed the HEAT on the right hand side of the bike compared to my prior rides, but have to say that the K1600 also pumped out some hot stuff from the gearbox 'bulge' as well, which was not too noticeable when wearing the full touring gear, but when shorter rides were calling I often pulled my ankle away pretty quick when stopped at lights if not paying attention...! Anyway - great info about the WI tuner - maybe I could drop the RGU in for the mods and take an Eaglerider out for a couple of days up to Door County - kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:54 PM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Max2015RGlide
Comfort is the reason i left my new GoldWing after 30k mi and moved to the '15 RGS, and am ecstatic to this day, with nearly 20k on the RGS put on by me... 2200mi ride from last wk, to boot:

https://youtu.be/fUX9N5YZdso
Comfort wins hands down for me every time - maybe it's an age thing (and I've done the scary stuff when younger - and survived...)

Old 07-14-2016 | 08:58 PM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by '05Train
I've owned an RT, a GS Adventure, and a K16 GTL. I jumped from the K16 to the RGU and I couldn't be happier. Yes, the K16 had amazing brakes, suspension, and power, and a lot of really nice creature comforts. Yes, the K16 was an objectively better bike in any dynamic comparison. But the RGU is more comfortable for me and fits me better.

I did a full Stage 1 so I have no issue with heat, though it's warmer than the K16. It's also got much better airflow and wind management than the K16 (Aeroflow windshield on the K16, Madstad on the RGU). I'm in the process of adding Ohlins suspension to the RGU, and I've added a True-Track. When I'm done the two bikes should be relatively close handling-wise (other than the RGU is 200 pounds heavier and has a shallower lean angle).

I do miss doing wheelies on the K16. That I-6 is an amazing motor.
Thanks for the feedback - yes, that /6 is something Really special - but for me the comfort angle is the killer - and I know I'll be able to customize the RGU to get to where I want to be. Great to hear about your thoughts on both the Stage 1 and the Madstat!

Old 07-14-2016 | 09:17 PM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
This was a Rushmore change. I hated it as well when I switched from a '13 FLTRU to a '14 FLHTK. However, after a short period of getting used to it, I don't even notice it anymore. I do like that it is high enough for my boot to fit under.
The ability to put the boot below the pedal is definitely growing on me (and I can do the same with the shifter I've discovered too...)

Old 07-14-2016 | 09:21 PM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bettingpython
You can have TPMS just trade the FLTRU in for the '16 FLTRUSE... It's only a $15K upgrade.

Welcome to the shark nation.
Right - I think I spent at least 2 minutes pondering over that option!

Old 07-15-2016 | 07:55 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

On heat and weight -

Heat - If you run lowers, it's hotter. I used to bake my right foot (even without cat) on my Ultra. I'm cool as a cucumber on my Street Glide. In the cooler weather I use soft lowers and they work great. Knowing what I know know, I will never run lowers in warm weather. Of course that doesn't help those with the wet heads.

Weight - You have to remember, the touring line is in the heavy class of touring bikes along with the Goldwing, Indian, and big Victorys, Vulcan Voyager, among others. The K bikes compare more to a Concours or FJ - lighter, sportier class of touring bike. The decision to go to the Harley line from BMW isn't apples to apples. It's more like apples to watermelon.

I recall my decision to make the change. I rode my GS out to the Black Hills. Great bike. Loved it. Good power and handled great. I even liked the way it sounded. But even on the GS my knees would get sore after awhile. Plus I was heavily into ATTGATT and then some - back protector, safety vest, etc. I remember pulling into the motel parking lot and I was hot, tired, and just plain old felt beat up standing in that parking lot unloading all my crap off the bike. Some guy rolls up and parks next to me on a Street Glide. He has a light leather jacket, jeans, gloves and a half helmet on. He swings a leg off the bike, hangs the beanie off the bar, grabs to suitcases off the bike, and walks into the hotel lobby like a rock star off a Lear jet, while I'm standing there toiling in my space suit and random bags. This guy could have walked straight into any restaurant and looked good. I, on the other hand, was a sweaty, stinky mess that would draw stares from children and old people sitting in my "snowmobile suit" at McDonalds. Then there was the ratio on the way home. Pretty much 99% of the bikes heading the other way on I-90 were Harleys. I figured there must be something to them, that so many people would choose them to tour on. And many of them were couples, talking and smiling....in general having fun while I was considering my next strategic gas stop to do some stretching and rest my throttle hand.

Not that the change immediately came easily. The big weight difference was something I really had to adjust to. The whole front brake thing as well. On the BMW I could over-cook a turn and grab some brake mid turn to scrub off speed. It took only one time on a (rented) Harley to learn that proper entry speed has now become an absolute necessity. I didn't like those underwear anyway.

Old 07-15-2016 | 12:03 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
The whole front brake thing as well. On the BMW I could over-cook a turn and grab some brake mid turn to scrub off speed. It took only one time on a (rented) Harley to learn that proper entry speed has now become an absolute necessity. I didn't like those underwear anyway.
That about sums it up for me on my first HD touring bike.

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...