2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 08:50 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I've owned an RT, a GS Adventure, and a K16 GTL. I jumped from the K16 to the RGU and I couldn't be happier. Yes, the K16 had amazing brakes, suspension, and power, and a lot of really nice creature comforts. Yes, the K16 was an objectively better bike in any dynamic comparison. But the RGU is more comfortable for me and fits me better.

I did a full Stage 1 so I have no issue with heat, though it's warmer than the K16. It's also got much better airflow and wind management than the K16 (Aeroflow windshield on the K16, Madstad on the RGU). I'm in the process of adding Ohlins suspension to the RGU, and I've added a True-Track. When I'm done the two bikes should be relatively close handling-wise (other than the RGU is 200 pounds heavier and has a shallower lean angle).

I do miss doing wheelies on the K16. That I-6 is an amazing motor.

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:03 PM
r2t2k2
Cruiser

Gotta agree with the many that stated that they switched for the comfort. I came over from a Kawi C14. The comfort does come with a price and that's one that I'm willing to accept. This thing don't handle like S-T bikes did... But, those same bikes aren't nearly as comfortable to ride. I've gotten to like the heel shifter. They work great with floor boards, which was a whole new experience coming from decades of riding with pegs. The brake pedal was the first thing to go... A SoftBrake +1 fixed that problem. I replaced the stock suspension with Ohlins so I gained a little ground clearance. But I need to readjust how I ride anyway... A proper BT headset profile would of been nice, but I just link my Sena to my phone and listen to my streaming music.

Old 07-14-2016 | 07:22 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
I could not give up 6 levels of automatic suspension settings, power windscreen, 3 fueling modes, tire pressure sensors, heated seats and grips, phenomenal brakes and much more all married to 160 HP and 135 ft/lb torque at the crank.

Same issue here. I'm currently on a K1600GTL, and considering trading it for and RGU. I love all the tech stuff on the GTL, especially the adjustable suspension and windshield, but at age 67 I need a more comfortable riding position.....and a few less horsepower. That slant six engine is awesome, but I do need to slow down a bit.

Interested in hearing from anyone who made the BMW to HD change about any issues experienced with engine heat from the RGU. Also, since I want to keep the RGU bone stock, is the Stage 1 fix really necessary?
I don't know what Stage 1 is supposed to "fix", other than fixing some of your money firmly in the coffers of some stealer.

Mine's just fine bone-stock and will stay that way.

The following users liked this post:
Geoff Eccles (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016 | 09:07 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by r2t2k2
Gotta agree with the many that stated that they switched for the comfort. I came over from a Kawi C14. The comfort does come with a price and that's one that I'm willing to accept. This thing don't handle like S-T bikes did... But, those same bikes aren't nearly as comfortable to ride. I've gotten to like the heel shifter. They work great with floor boards, which was a whole new experience coming from decades of riding with pegs. The brake pedal was the first thing to go... A SoftBrake +1 fixed that problem. I replaced the stock suspension with Ohlins so I gained a little ground clearance. But I need to readjust how I ride anyway... A proper BT headset profile would of been nice, but I just link my Sena to my phone and listen to my streaming music.
When people ask me why I switched from an RT to an Ultra, I've become fond of telling them the RT "was a little too much sport, and not enough tourer."

Old 07-14-2016 | 09:22 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

You can have TPMS just trade the FLTRU in for the '16 FLTRUSE... It's only a $15K upgrade.

Welcome to the shark nation.

Old 07-14-2016 | 10:28 AM
Chucks1911
Tourer

Originally Posted by mtloafer
If you call them, they will tell you that they have some that will work.
I have the +1 out +1 on my limited with the lowers, and I love it! Works great!
Yep. This is the same one that I put on my 15 RGS that I added lowers too. Works Great!

Old 07-14-2016 | 11:00 AM
r2t2k2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sailmotion
When people ask me why I switched from an RT to an Ultra, I've become fond of telling them the RT "was a little too much sport, and not enough tourer."
Great answer! Mind if I borrow it?

Old 07-14-2016 | 11:29 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by r2t2k2
Great answer! Mind if I borrow it?
Be my guest - it's not copyrighted. :-)

Old 07-14-2016 | 12:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sailmotion
The K16 was too sporty to tour well and too tour-y to sport well.

Old 07-14-2016 | 02:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Going from up to 6" of suspension travel to just 3" has got to be detrimental for some?

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...