2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:23 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Best feature since the internal combustion engine!
Took mine off the day I bought the bike. Different strokes...

Old 07-13-2016 | 10:25 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser

I could not give up 6 levels of automatic suspension settings, power windscreen, 3 fueling modes, tire pressure sensors, heated seats and grips, phenomenal brakes and much more all married to 160 HP and 135 ft/lb torque at the crank.

Same issue here. I'm currently on a K1600GTL, and considering trading it for and RGU. I love all the tech stuff on the GTL, especially the adjustable suspension and windshield, but at age 67 I need a more comfortable riding position.....and a few less horsepower. That slant six engine is awesome, but I do need to slow down a bit.

Interested in hearing from anyone who made the BMW to HD change about any issues experienced with engine heat from the RGU. Also, since I want to keep the RGU bone stock, is the Stage 1 fix really necessary?

Old 07-13-2016 | 11:26 AM
Geoff Eccles
|
6th Gear

Thanks for all the replies, good wishes and great feedback everyone! It sounds like my reasons for changing from the slant/6 to the RGU are pretty common amongst other riders too - if I could have gotten away with hiding the GT in the back of the garage under an old 'tarp I'd have done that just to have a choice on what to ride every now and again, but I suspect the wife would have discovered it when searching for her gardening gloves.... I'm not going to change anything from stock until after I do my big trip in September (Natchez Parkway and AK loop from IL) - that should give me enough experience to figure out what I really need to help the 'fit'. The only addition I've bought so far is the underlid storage unit for the Tourpak. I'll give my further thoughts as I ride more ;-)

Good riding and keep safe out there's my friends!

Old 07-13-2016 | 12:45 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
I could not give up 6 levels of automatic suspension settings, power windscreen, 3 fueling modes, tire pressure sensors, heated seats and grips, phenomenal brakes and much more all married to 160 HP and 135 ft/lb torque at the crank.

Interested in hearing from anyone who made the BMW to HD change about any issues experienced with engine heat from the RGU. Also, since I want to keep the RGU bone stock, is the Stage 1 fix really necessary?
I switched from a 2010 R1200RT to a 2014 Ultra Limited [my buddy has a RGU and engine heat is similar]. While still within my "break in" period, I went back to my salesman and commented that I thought I got a "lemon" because the engine heat was so extraordinary. He advised "that's the way they are".

During my 1,000 mile service, I asked that the engine heat be looked at because I was convinced something was wrong. I was advised "that's the way they are".

During my 5,000 mile service, I asked that the engine heat be looked at because I found it inconceivable that a "normal" bike [Twin Cooled to boot] would run that hot. I was advised "that's the way they are".

During Americade 2016, I switched to an Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, had a Power Commander V installed and had the bike dyno tuned with a much richer AFR. BINGO! The Ultra still does not run as cool as the RT, but it is a perceptible decrease in engine heat.

The following users liked this post:
Geoff Eccles (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016 | 01:03 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Geoff Eccles
3. The rear brake pedal sucks! I live by the rear brake pedal at low speed (as I'm sure may of you do too...) - so really don't understand why HD put a pedal from a John Deere on a 920LB MC - and then raise it up by another 3" just to be sure that you can see it... I feel an aftermarket vendor calling me....
This was a Rushmore change. I hated it as well when I switched from a '13 FLTRU to a '14 FLHTK. However, after a short period of getting used to it, I don't even notice it anymore. I do like that it is high enough for my boot to fit under.

Old 07-13-2016 | 01:39 PM
Kenwisconsin
Stage I

Hi Goeff and welcome, I am also fairly new to Harley Davidson myself, owned 4 Goldwings over the last 20 years, purchased a new 2015 ultra limited last september. Many of your observations are similar to mine. If youre wanting a little more performance and less heat out of your engine contact Fuel Moto in Little Chute, wisconsin. They have probably the best reputation of any after market vendor on this forum. I purchased the ceramic coated headers that eliminate the catalytic converter, the jackpot 4 mufflers, their air cleaner and a power vision tuner from then. They set you up with a fuel map for the changes you make and provide free lifetime support on the maps if you make a change to your components. My bike runs so much cooler and the increase in power is very noticeable. I also recommend new rear shocks. I installed ohlins shocks from Motorcycle Metal. The best money ive spent on my bike. I went with the 2 adjustable model. Just thought I would give you my 2 cents on some upgrades that you would definitely enjoy. Safe riding! Ken

Old 07-13-2016 | 02:56 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kenwisconsin
Hi Goeff and welcome, I am also fairly new to Harley Davidson myself, owned 4 Goldwings over the last 20 years, purchased a new 2015 ultra limited last september. Many of your observations are similar to mine. If youre wanting a little more performance and less heat out of your engine contact Fuel Moto in Little Chute, wisconsin. They have probably the best reputation of any after market vendor on this forum. I purchased the ceramic coated headers that eliminate the catalytic converter, the jackpot 4 mufflers, their air cleaner and a power vision tuner from then. They set you up with a fuel map for the changes you make and provide free lifetime support on the maps if you make a change to your components. My bike runs so much cooler and the increase in power is very noticeable. I also recommend new rear shocks. I installed ohlins shocks from Motorcycle Metal. The best money ive spent on my bike. I went with the 2 adjustable model. Just thought I would give you my 2 cents on some upgrades that you would definitely enjoy. Safe riding! Ken
I just installed the same shocks from MM last week and can't agree more. I am envious about your stage 1. I too plan to get the exhaust and tuner from Fuel Moto.

Old 07-13-2016 | 03:17 PM
Max2015RGlide
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geoff Eccles
Hi all,

After a lifetime of ROW bikes I decided to switch from my old BMW K1600GT friend to a '16 Road Glide Ultra. Primary reason was comfort - as I'm approaching my 6th decade I've had more and more difficulty with long distance rides and joints... and despite trying different seats and pegs the aches always set in after 100 or so miles. So - I decided to try out the FLTRU, and although the road test wasn't exhaustive it did give me some hope that I could hit a 3,000 mile tour without taking a vacation after just to ease the pain....

So now 2 weeks into the HD experience and I have some thoughts to share (and feedback to solicit!):

1. Riding style takes some (enjoyable) time to get to grips with - it takes me back to my learning years in the late '70's when you plan your attack on the road rather than let the bike take the initiative - big positive! (I'm glad that the rubber has improved over the past 40 years...)

2. There is a bigger sense of pride around the bike than anything I've ridden before - nothing to do with the physical looks or build quality - I guess it's the heritage and the fact that it's an 'old school' build from the ground up.

3. The rear brake pedal sucks! I live by the rear brake pedal at low speed (as I'm sure may of you do too...) - so really don't understand why HD put a pedal from a John Deere on a 920LB MC - and then raise it up by another 3" just to be sure that you can see it... I feel an aftermarket vendor calling me....

4. TPMS. No? What do you mean, no? I have to buy an SVO to get TPMS? HELLO...!! I fitted FOBO's today so will see how they work... but HD - really..? And while I'm on wheels & tires - rubber valves...? Come on....

5. Bluetooth. Anyone with a '15-16 Boombox knows what I'm going to say, so I won't say it....

6. The ride. Just knocked off a quick 300 mile half-day circle around NW IL and I felt FANTASTIC dismounting after the ride. I think I'm going to really enjoy my upcoming 7-state vacation in September (and will get to know the bike a bit better too) - in the meantime I'll try and get to grips with the 'special bits' of the Glide ride (and forget about all that BMW technology I grew to rely on..!)

Stay safe, G

Comfort is the reason i left my new GoldWing after 30k mi and moved to the '15 RGS, and am ecstatic to this day, with nearly 20k on the RGS put on by me... 2200mi ride from last wk, to boot:

Old 07-13-2016 | 05:30 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by mtloafer
If you call them, they will tell you that they have some that will work.
I have the +1 out +1 on my limited with the lowers, and I love it! Works great!
I called them this afternoon. My foot brake, shifter bar, shift link bar, shifter spine spacer and foot board entenders are in the mail this evening. Right about $400 for the order.

Old 07-13-2016 | 08:28 PM
mtloafer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I called them this afternoon. My foot brake, shifter bar, shift link bar, shifter spine spacer and foot board entenders are in the mail this evening. Right about $400 for the order.
Great people to deal with and I love mine! There are so many options for different setups that I could never find online. Hope they work as well for you as the do for me.

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...