2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016 | 07:13 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by hamah
I guess the term "crisp smooth shift" might be somewhat subjective. When I first rode a Harley I had to get used to the transmission period. At the time I found it loud, and really harsh (but never, ever, did I miss a shift). Today I think of it as positive and solid and if what my dealer tells me is true, it's bulletproof.. Yeah, it's pretty much as you describe it...lift your foot and drop the heel. I love my heel shift now (took a few days to get used to) and wouldn't change it for anything.
Exactly!

Old 07-12-2016 | 08:04 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea what hamah and bradsUltd said!

Old 07-12-2016 | 08:29 PM
Firenailer
Road Master

OP - I had a GT and an RT before coming back to HD with this new Road King. It took me awhile to get used to that brake pedal too and the heel shift is still going unused as well!

As someone else said I find myself scraping the floorboards more often than I'd like as the lean angles are very different - but all in all I agree with you. Good review!

While I miss some of the tech on the RT (especially the on board computer read outs) I'm much Happier on the King. At nearly 60 I can ride this bike much more comfortably than I could on the Beemer, and feel good when I get off at the end of the day!

Last edited by Firenailer; 07-12-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2016 | 08:51 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

Yeah, why in the heck don't any of the other bikes have a heel shift??? And no ugly black stain on your boots! I tried upshifting with my toes the other day; feels ungainly. Came from an '05 RT which I never really felt comfortable on.

Oh, and technology? Geez guys, the boxer and the Rushmores went wet head the very same year, who's not keeping up?! Although I do miss the button-adjustable windshield.

Old 07-12-2016 | 09:15 PM
Dharn55
Tourer

Over the July 4th weekend went on a 1,000 mile ride, my wife and I on our 12 RGU and my buddy and his wife on their 12 K1600 GTL that they got last year to replace a Roak King. We traded bi,e for a while on the last day. I loved the power, brakes, ride, computer, etc. on the K1600. Riding position was too much like a crotch rocket for me. The thing was a rocket, and I never took to over 5,000 rpm, fun through the the twisties. But it had so much power it was beyond any reasonable use. Fun for a bit but after 20 minutes I asked for my bike back. And his wife does not like the bike much at all. Sound like your are going fast even if you are cruising. He hopes she will still ride and we have done 20+ trips on the Harley's together.

He had a K1200 LT a while back, and while it did not have as much power I enjoyed riding it better. My wife and I did a 1,400 mile weekend I. The mountains of Colorado on it and it was wonderful, but I was happy to go back to my old Road King. In the days of the K1200s there was a big difference between the GT and the LT. Different frame, engine mounting, seating, fairing, etc. Now with the K1600's the difference between the GT and the GTL is pretty much a little larger fairing, longer handlebars and a tour pak. I think they need to rethink the set up on the GTL for touring.

When I asked for my RGU back I said I needed my easy chair��

Old 07-12-2016 | 10:29 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

I've owned two Street Glides and and many other sport touring and sport bikes. Currently a BMW S1000RR and a K1600GT. I will be keeping both of those bikes but buying a 2015-16 RG later this year. Once you've owned and ridden a HD it's hard to break away completely. As I said the K1600GT will stay. My wife and I go a two 1000 mile weekend trips a month and the K1600GT is a joy. I could not give up 6 levels of automatic suspension settings, power windscreen, 3 fueling modes, tire pressure sensors, heated seats and grips, phenomenal brakes and much more all married to 160 HP and 135 ft/lb torque at the crank.
Still a Harley is a joy to ride AND own like nothing else. If you really love motorcycles everybody should own one

Old 07-12-2016 | 11:27 PM
muddmann
Tourer

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds as though you getting very comfortable with it. Ride safe.

Old 07-12-2016 | 11:37 PM
mtloafer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I checked the Softbrake web page and they don't sell one that fits the Harley with lower fairing.
If you call them, they will tell you that they have some that will work.
I have the +1 out +1 on my limited with the lowers, and I love it! Works great!

The following 2 users liked this post by mtloafer:
EasternSP (07-13-2016), valpal (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016 | 07:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

I demoed a LOT of different bikes including the Beemers before buying my '15 Limited. Nothing else was even in the same league concerning comfort & "fit".

Mine literally fit like it was built just for me with no additional mods or accessories at all - just like a custom-built bicycle. Couldn't be happier or more satisfied.

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:16 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Yeah, why in the heck don't any of the other bikes have a heel shift??? And no ugly black stain on your boots! I tried upshifting with my toes the other day; feels ungainly. Came from an '05 RT which I never really felt comfortable on.

Oh, and technology? Geez guys, the boxer and the Rushmores went wet head the very same year, who's not keeping up?! Although I do miss the button-adjustable windshield.
Best feature since the internal combustion engine!

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...