2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016 | 12:27 PM
plongson
Road Master

At 6'3 and sporting a size 14 hoof, the brake pedal on the TK works just fine. As far as the heel shifter, it's a nostalgic throwback to the old flatheads, knuckles and pans. I never in my life liked a heel shifter (from my old flattrack/steeple chase days...) I had the dealer remove it during delivery, and raise the front shifter so my pata grande would fit underneath...

GLAD to hear you love the Rodie'!! These are AMAZING bikes regardless of what many folks bitch about on the forum. I'd buy mine again in a second flat...AA++

I ride EVERY chance and fall in love over and over.

Old 07-12-2016 | 02:06 PM
wethead103
Cruiser

If you haven't purchased one yet, get a backrest for your bike. Does wonders on long distance trips. Best investment I ever made for the bike. Congrats on the new bike.

Old 07-12-2016 | 02:49 PM
BigMike17
Road Master

Welcome and enjoy your new ride!

Old 07-12-2016 | 02:54 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Originally Posted by valpal
What does it do in comparison to stock? Just wondering as I don't having any real issues - but not knowing what could be better makes me "dumb" in that regard. Input appreciated.
The Softbrake levers sit significantly lower than the OEM lever, requiring much less heel flexion to work the brake.

They also offer extended lengths for us long-of-leg types; I have the +2 version but that length may not work with fairing lowers.

The following users liked this post:
valpal (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016 | 03:04 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 7roper7
Yeah, I've owned BMWs and many other brands. The rear brake pedal really makes me scratch my head.

Also, what the blazes is up with the heel shift lever? Has anyone figured out how to get a crisp smooth shift by picking your foot up and shifting by pushing down with your heel?

I roll off the throttle a tiny bit while squeezing in the clutch a fraction as my toe moves the shift lever from a preloaded position into the next gear.

My heel lever is somewhere in the junk pile behind the barn.
I guess the term "crisp smooth shift" might be somewhat subjective. When I first rode a Harley I had to get used to the transmission period. At the time I found it loud, and really harsh (but never, ever, did I miss a shift). Today I think of it as positive and solid and if what my dealer tells me is true, it's bulletproof.. Yeah, it's pretty much as you describe it...lift your foot and drop the heel. I love my heel shift now (took a few days to get used to) and wouldn't change it for anything.

The following 2 users liked this post by hamah:
Oogie Wa Wa (07-12-2016), skm348 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016 | 03:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Good review. Some folks don't get that the touring line is a premium touring bike. They tend to base their criteria on HP alone. But those of us that have learned to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride have seen the virtue in trading in the BMW on the Harley. Great bikes BMWs. But the positive things you had to say about the touring line are exactly where I'm coming from and why I made the switch.

The cons -

Brake pedal. Some like it. For the rest - Softbrake.

Rubber valve stems - If that's as bad as it gets, we're doing well.

TPS. Would be nice, but I guess I'm not losing sleep over it.

Bluetooth......yeah. But other than that I do like the Infotainment system. It works great for me. And we use Sennas for wireless communication anyway.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy!

Old 07-12-2016 | 06:23 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 7roper7
Yeah, I've owned BMWs and many other brands. The rear brake pedal really makes me scratch my head.

Also, what the blazes is up with the heel shift lever? Has anyone figured out how to get a crisp smooth shift by picking your foot up and shifting by pushing down with your heel?

I roll off the throttle a tiny bit while squeezing in the clutch a fraction as my toe moves the shift lever from a preloaded position into the next gear.

My heel lever is somewhere in the junk pile behind the barn.
One of the reasons I like the touring Harleys is because they come with the heel shifter. Any real touring bike should have a heel shifter. Once you get used to using it, you may understand. But it's not for everyone, that's why it's easy to remove.

Old 07-12-2016 | 06:38 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I checked the Softbrake web page and they don't sell one that fits the Harley with lower fairing.

The following users liked this post:
valpal (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016 | 06:41 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain

Welcome, welcome...also a prior BMW RT owner, nothing can compare the character, feel & sound of the Vtwin over the boxer engine...although BMW has its own merits depending on where you want to ride...I wouldn't mind trying out the GS...but the Harley wins hands down any day for me on street rides...

Old 07-12-2016 | 06:50 PM
Lanwman
Cruiser

Hey , sounds like a good honest review. I ride a 2016 road glide CVO, and I am glad I do. Enjoy your new ride .

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...