Sponsored by:

New, to me, hydraulic clutch recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016 | 08:31 PM
smithbrl
|
Road Warrior
Default New, to me, hydraulic clutch recall

Stopped by the dealer to get my license plate. Bike has about 1500 mi. While I was there I stopped by the Service Dept to inform them that I had an intermittent check engine light.

He told me to bring it back next week and they would take care of it while they performed the clutch recall.

I haven't heard or read here about a recent recall since last year. I wasn't keeping up with the Rushmore issues because until a couple of months ago I didn't own one.

The service guy had a list of bikes that were being recalled. Some were on the sales floor and some were already sold.

Is this old news or something new?

Old 07-09-2016 | 08:52 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

I had clutch recall done on my 15 last year not long after I bought it but this is the first time I heard about recall on 16s. Only crank your scoot while it's in natural until you get the recall taken care of.

Old 07-09-2016 | 11:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Must be something extremely new. Just searched the NHTSA site for 2016 H-D vehicles & there's nothing listed for 2016 FLHTK model.

Old 07-10-2016 | 10:13 AM
smithbrl
|
Road Warrior

I went to the HD webpage to check for recalls and entered my VIN and this is what I found.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION
Enter your VIN. You can locate your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), stamped on the steering head, and also on a label
located on the right front down tube.

1HD1*************
CHECK NOW

Or go to safercar.gov for a free list of recalls and technical service bulletins.

SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION FOR VIN: 1HD1*************
SAFETY RECALLS What's a safety recall?
OPEN RECALLS
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: Not Available
Recall Date JUL 08, 2016
Last UpdatedJul 10, 2016

HarleyÂ*Davidson has learned that the hydraulic clutch system with black master cylinder part numbers 36700049B, 36700056B, 36700146 and 36700186 on certain model year 2016 Touring and Softail model motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which it may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch after being parked for an extended period.

Model
2016 Electra Glide UltraL

Safety Risk

If this condition remains undetected it could lead to a loss of control of the vehicle when started in gear or first shifted into gear
after being parked for an extended period.

REMEDY

Owners of the affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized HarleyÂ*Davidson dealer, who will confirm that
the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will inspect the clutch master cylinder for the presence of gas in the
fluid. If there is gas in the fluid, thedealer will flush the clutch system with the recommended wash solution and rebuild the clutch master cylinder using the recall kit provided. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.
We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you
choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They state model Electra Glide Ultra Low. My bike is a Limited and isn't a Low. I guess since most touring bikes use a lot of the same parts, then the recall could be extended to other models.

Last edited by smithbrl; 07-10-2016 at 10:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016 | 10:44 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Well, what do you know, another recall...

Old 07-10-2016 | 10:47 AM
JDHunz
Cruiser

Nothing came up for my '16 FLHTCU...

Old 07-10-2016 | 04:57 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

how about giving everyone the nice reliable cable back !

Old 07-10-2016 | 05:36 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Well, what do you know, another recall...
Hummm can stop em ... now can't get em going ...

These things are not giving this returning customer a warm a fuzzy !!!

Old 07-10-2016 | 06:16 PM
goose222
Road Master

Don't know about the recall but I know the sales manager at my local harley dealer started a brand new RGU that had sit for a while and the dang thing started and hit a wall inside the show room and busted the fairing in a hundred pieces. All because of a clutch that didn't disangage when the lever was pulled.
I have owned two Rushmores and rode several others and have never had a issue one. (Knock on wood)

Old 07-10-2016 | 06:40 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Does starting in neutral solve the problem ... well let me rephrase .... does it elevate the run away train issue ? ... and it's crazy hard to find neutral on this flhtk ....

Quick Reply: New, to me, hydraulic clutch recall