Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Purchase in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016 | 08:37 AM
jpalm
|
Road Captain
Default Extended Warranty Purchase in Florida

In case you guys don't know, there's a stupid law in Florida (and, I'm sure in other states) that extended warranties are considered insurance products and cannot be discounted. This is the reason that Florida dealerships can't participate in the $1.00 extended warranty sales that HD has. My factory warranty expired on June 8 and I wanted to add an additional 5 years. The price from all the Florida dealers was over $3,500 and there was nothing that they could do about it. So I ended up calling some dealers in Georgia and had them compete for my business and I found one that was willing to sell it to me for $2,000. A savings of $1,500 for a two hour drive. Just food for thought for those of you who may be in a similar situation. You may want to cross the state line to save yourself some cash.

The following users liked this post:
RandyCCT (06-24-2016)
Old 06-22-2016 | 11:11 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

Wondering if you were mis informed about that. According the the State Of Florida's regulation on extended warranties:

Start of Quote-
A "Service Warranty" is a warranty, guaranty, extended warranty or extended guaranty, maintenance service contract equal or greater than 1 year in length that provides protection against the cost of repair, replacement or maintenance of a consumer product, in return for the payment of a premium. The complete definition of a Service Warranty is located in Section 634.401, Florida Statutes.

A service warranty contract can be written by a Service Warranty Association who is licensed pursuant to Section 634.403, Florida Statutes, or by an authorized insurance company who is authorized to write this line of business.

Service Warranty rates are not filed with nor approved by the Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR). According to Section 634.414, Florida Statutes, each service agreement sold in this state must be accompanied by a written disclosure to the consumer that the rate charged for the service agreement is not subject to regulation by the Office of Insurance Regulation. A service agreement company may comply with this requirement by including the disclosure in its service agreement form or in a separate written notice provided to the consumer at the time of sale.
End of Quote-

Sounds to me like the State of Florida doesn't care about the cost of these contracts, so you'd think they could sell them for whatever they cared to. But I don't live there so who knows.

Old 06-22-2016 | 03:08 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Could it be because you were adding the warranty after having the bike for almost two years?? Maybe the provisions are different in that case in stead of now buying it outright when you initially purchased the bike?? I'm not sure.

Old 06-22-2016 | 03:27 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

I am calling BS - I too was told by my dealer they could NOT discount.. BS... I am in CA. I ended up dealing the Emerald HD in WA and also got the 7 year with tire and wheel for 1991 - the person that sold me that back in Oct of 15 no longer works there and not sure about current pricing but it can be bought in other areas as well - just have to shop around
Now the policy that Jim at Boardtracker sells is NOT good for FL or CA -- go figure, lol

Old 06-22-2016 | 03:29 PM
BigEd04
Cruiser

Or could it be a dealer was blowing smoke up your ***.... Nah, that would never happen.

Old 06-22-2016 | 03:36 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

Whatever the reason, I've yet to find a dealer in Florida to discount their price. I did the same thing as jpalm and took a ride to Georgia. I thought the price quoted here in Daytona was around $3000, but it may have been $3500. Whatever it was, it was too high. Paid $2100 for the Harley endorsed CNA plan & the so called 7 year plan with wheels and tire coverage. Same price whether the bike is brand new or 2 years old, as long as the bike is under the original owner's 2 year factory warranty. I have read of better prices here on this forum, but I would have had to ride a lot further and by the time I added in fuel and motel charges it would have cost me more than a nice ride to Georgia.

Old 06-22-2016 | 03:54 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

FL is BS on prices then... forget them... get on the phone and call aroud... no need to ride anywhere.

If you got the 7 year with tire and wheel for 2100 - not bad at all - the Lower prices your hearing about are most likely from Jim at Boardtracker HD which IS NOT available to you in FL...

There may be dealers out their that sell to a new customer by jacking the price of the bike and lower the price of the ESP - just a numbers game... I had a guy tell me he got his FREE - but he admitted he paid a BUNCH for his bike???? do the math,,,, he did not get it free - again, just a numbers game...

Old 06-23-2016 | 07:46 AM
jpalm
|
Road Captain

All I can say is that I called 4 dealers, one from each corner of the state, and they all quoted me the same price and told me they were not allowed to discount it due to state law. So, there's either a conspiracy involving all the Florida dealers, Harley Davidson, Boardtracker HD, et al., or there's some other law that also imposes regulations on these policies. Regardless, the dealers are not discounting the warranties. So, whether it's by law, HD policy, or act of God, it's all a moot point. The advice is still the same: don't buy a policy in the Sunshine State.

Old 06-24-2016 | 06:07 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Call one of the insurance... er... warranty, yeah, that's the ticket... companies and ask them if this is true.

Old 06-24-2016 | 09:18 PM
BigEd04
Cruiser

Also if you just have to have the Harley warranty or live in FL, CA or OR. Boardtracker sells that to at the best price around. You have to be physically standing in the dealership but when I bought my last bike I could have gotten a plane ticket, rented a car and still saved a ton over what I was being quoted at home. Fortunately the much better plan from cornerstone was available for even less. I've been very happy with their service.