2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley rear wobble? Witnessed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018 | 07:41 PM
Ramin Abdollahi
Stage II

Friend. I am not after anything and also cant imagine somebody get anything out of such a post. I only thought maybe this reaches somebody who can do something to save a life!!!! this happened to me for real today. I was so shocked as what has happened that when I came home I just googled the phrase and this threat came up. Personally I would have never thought such a technical failure would have been possible. Now is at least off my mind as what could have happened.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-23-2018 | 09:55 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Very common on the pre-09 frames.

This is why the aftermarket sells stabilizer kits. GW Brown did an pretty complete write up and review of the solutions..

Old 09-24-2018 | 10:31 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ramin Abdollahi
Friend. I am not after anything and also cant imagine somebody get anything out of such a post. I only thought maybe this reaches somebody who can do something to save a life!!!! this happened to me for real today. I was so shocked as what has happened that when I came home I just googled the phrase and this threat came up. Personally I would have never thought such a technical failure would have been possible. Now is at least off my mind as what could have happened.
the main problem here... your post, writing style, makes it almost impossible to understand what you are saying.... your steering froze? bars locked up? what?

Old 09-24-2018 | 10:55 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

coming from a more performance oriented motorcycle background the first time I rode my 06 SG I thought what a mushy, unplanted, ill handling POS ride this pig has, was this normal for a Harley? I immediately stiffened up the fork and shocks, and went on a search, found the True track thing and installed it, the bike was transformed, none of my buddies could come close to keeping up with me in the mountains even though i'm riding a stock 88" and they have dumped thousands into their motor (yet none in suspension or bike set up) I will say my new 18 is light years ahead in stock form that my old modified 06 ever was.

INJEKTER (09-27-2018)
Old 09-24-2018 | 11:06 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikes300
coming from a more performance oriented motorcycle background the first time I rode my 06 SG I thought what a mushy, unplanted, ill handling POS ride this pig has, was this normal for a Harley? I immediately stiffened up the fork and shocks, and went on a search, found the True track thing and installed it, the bike was transformed, none of my buddies could come close to keeping up with me in the mountains even though i'm riding a stock 88" and they have dumped thousands into their motor (yet none in suspension or bike set up) I will say my new 18 is light years ahead in stock form that my old modified 06 ever was.
I thought the same about my 04 RK. Added a frame stabilizer and the wobble issues disappeared. On my 14 FLHTK, I added True Track front and rear, Ohlins rear shocks, and GP Suspension 25MM fully adjustable cartridges I bought from Motorcycle Metal. My ride now thinks it is a sport bike in the twisties. I encourage others to setup your suspension first before going crazy on big engine mods.

INJEKTER (09-27-2018)
Old 09-24-2018 | 11:45 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

I've dealt with bagger wobble on my 2003 on occasion. The first time I did, it was literally the death wobble in a wide sweeper where I was going 90 mph. My bike tends to oscillate in curves at higher speed. A frame brace helped quite a bit after having Ohlins shocks on as well. I've replaced the front motor mount, cleve blocks, and new springs in the front suspension. It's better, but still there. I feel like my last resort will be CCE triple trees in front with either Traxxion or Ohlins. These pre-2009 bike frames are chit if you ride them hard. They don't compare to my Rushmore.

Old 09-24-2018 | 03:34 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Last edited by QNman; 09-24-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2018 | 04:04 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Ramin Abdollahi
Hello guys,

Just the same thing happened to me on a highway!!!!!!! Riding with a buddy on street-glide. On speed of 60 miles I was on the left lane and my buddy was on the right lane. On a left curve (nor sharp curve) the steering froze!!!! Luckily there was no car behind us. My buddy next to me saw that my bike it getting very close to him. he sped up and I stopped the bike with break on right shoulder........ I switched off the bike. Checked tires and all. when switched on the steering was working properly. I was inches away from crashing...... feeling lucky and hopefully somebody looks into this.
Any of us who've had high mileage pre 09 touring framed Harleys know what bagger wobble is, and locked up steering is not a symptom. Sorry, but I have to call bs. How the hell did your stearing lock? What year and model is your bike? Any pics?

If you think you have wobble, add a stabilizer. They simply work.

Old 10-01-2018 | 09:24 PM
goldie
Tourer

Originally Posted by rhuff
I've dealt with bagger wobble on my 2003 on occasion. The first time I did, it was literally the death wobble in a wide sweeper where I was going 90 mph. My bike tends to oscillate in curves at higher speed. A frame brace helped quite a bit after having Ohlins shocks on as well. I've replaced the front motor mount, cleve blocks, and new springs in the front suspension. It's better, but still there. I feel like my last resort will be CCE triple trees in front with either Traxxion or Ohlins. These pre-2009 bike frames are chit if you ride them hard. They don't compare to my Rushmore.
Just thought I'd tell you about my experience with the CCE Triple trees. I bought the triple trees used from my indy who had built a big wheel bagger for himself and installed them on my 99 with new newer front fork lowers for Brembo's. I had nothing but problems with the dampening rods. The Fork tubes I bought from CCE aren't actually the exact size internally they should be. I had several indy's and a suspension guy work on it but I always had a "cluck" when I hit bumps. I had the race tech springs and emulators. IMHO the setup doesn't work. I did have a rear stabilizer which worked wonders. My 2015 RGS can wobble a little now and then. Time to slow down and enjoy the ride. ....your mileage might vary.... goldie