Sponsored by:

Lowering a Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
riderdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a Ultra Limited

Bought my 2015 Ultra Limited last year. No knee problems 32" inseam, bought the regular model wanted the suspension travel and ride. One year later and just had my knee replaced and another one coming this fall. What is the most logical way to lower my bike without sacrificing the good ride. Don't mind the labor, can do that myself, have been doing off-road suspension mods for years since I race off-road.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

Wayne

Old 06-03-2016, 05:27 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

The only way I know of to get a bike low and have an excellent ride, is to pony up for some really good shocks in the length needed. You can buy 11.5 and 12 inch Ohlins which will still have 2 1/2 or 3 inches of travel, but will ride phenomenal. Not cheap, but a great way to lower the bike. One inch lower cartridges up front, and you will have a slammed machine that still sucks up the bumps. Motorcycle Metal can help.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 06-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I like rear air ride. I can get a good ride solo and be a inch lower than stock on my street glide. Did it diy and have about $200 invested.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Why not try a lower seat or modify the one you have to fit your better, I know for fact that stock seat from my wife's Limited Low brings me very close to the ground and my bike is still more comfortable then her Low. Haven't tried any high end suspension but Progressive 944 reg ht with lowering blocks made a big difference in the ride quality on her Low and the seat ht. is slightly higher then 25" unladen. Had air ride on her previous 08 UC she hated it only took one trip and it's still sitting some where in the garage.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:24 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Up front go with a brand other than HD. I did the 1" lower "premium" cartridge kit and am not happy. I've had it apart twice thinking it was maybe installed wrong, changed fluid levels and weights, just cannot get it to smooth out when riding solo. It does ride nice when 2 up and loaded down, but solo it's just too firm.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,641 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Not having a lot of extra coin laying around, I did the super narrow seat with the memory foam and gel inserts from mean city cycle, $165, brought me down an inch plus. I also did the LA choppers lowering blocks (on rushmores, you have to drop the rear wheel, and insert them from the inside, or your bags will rub against the shocks). $99 bucks and another inch down, and if you have the air shocks set just right, they are good to go. I have had this setup since July of 2014 with O problems. The FLHTK is a big bike for a short legged man, throw in a wife on the back with a lot of gravel parking lots and it gets a bit challenging.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Haz (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
Up front go with a brand other than HD. I did the 1" lower "premium" cartridge kit and am not happy. I've had it apart twice thinking it was maybe installed wrong, changed fluid levels and weights, just cannot get it to smooth out when riding solo. It does ride nice when 2 up and loaded down, but solo it's just too firm.
That's just how they roll. The "Low" models use that same setup & ride very harsh in the front.

There's no free lunch it seems.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Take a "ride like a pro" class and a passanger or trailer won't make a difference. Not trying to be a douche because this is coming from a 5-6" guy with a 29" inseam who bought a 2015 ultra "low" because of the same fears. I have been riding 30 years before I took the class and before I bought the "low". After the class I might not ride like a pro motor officer but I ride 2 up with a camper trailer behind us no problem stopping or slow speed maneuvers including 20' U turns 2 up with a trailer . I won't be buying the "low" model next time(maybe a 1" lower seat). Next ultra will have full length travel suspension for sure. The $150 spent on the class even with 30 years experience has become invaluable!

The following users liked this post:
Blu88 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

You can get a set of billet aluminum lowering blocks for around 100$ from several vendors. I've had a set on all 3 of my touring HDs and never a problem. You can pick up an 1" or so with little if any change in ride/handling qualities. Stay away from the steel plate kits. They can be hazardous on heavy touring bikes. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

My buddy wanted a Limited but needed a Low. He talked the dealer into swapping a Low seat onto his Limited, that was all he needed to be comfortable.

Quick Reply: Lowering a Ultra Limited