Sponsored by:

Lowering a Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:15 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
Up front go with a brand other than HD. I did the 1" lower "premium" cartridge kit and am not happy. I've had it apart twice thinking it was maybe installed wrong, changed fluid levels and weights, just cannot get it to smooth out when riding solo. It does ride nice when 2 up and loaded down, but solo it's just too firm.
I have a similar thread going. I'm about to install these same forks after reading several good reviews. Just too stiff? What rear shocks to you have??? How big a fella are you.

I do a lot of 2 up riding and that's why I need to be lower. Can't see going to 12 inch shocks, but keeping the forks standard size.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First, get boots with a higher heel. Then have have a cobbler double sole them, if can't get enough height just off the heel.

If still need more, next try a narrower seat. Can also thin down the padding so it also sits lower, but go too much, ride quality suffers since the padding does offer some cushion over bumps.

If that gets you close to what you want, but need a little more, next I'd try the Low's primary.

Shocks would be my last resort. Even though aftermarket's ride quality are better than stock, you'll be going shorter, so lose some of the ride quality you would have gained. If doing spirited riding, short shocks will floorboard and frame scrape more.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Our local dealer will only sell lachopper lowering blocks. Instead of kicking the shock back they drop the shock straight down an inch.

Originally Posted by riderdog
Bought my 2015 Ultra Limited last year. No knee problems 32" inseam, bought the regular model wanted the suspension travel and ride. One year later and just had my knee replaced and another one coming this fall. What is the most logical way to lower my bike without sacrificing the good ride. Don't mind the labor, can do that myself, have been doing off-road suspension mods for years since I race off-road.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

Wayne

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Zebrex
Cruiser
Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

I am 5-11 with a short 29" inseam. I have no trouble reaching the ground on a 2016 limited and its not the low model. I even tried the tall boy seat (to move me back) and could still flat foot it.
I am curious as to why with a 32" inseam you feel the need to lower it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:06 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Got 12" shocks to replace the 13's and put new springs in the front. I love the position of the bike. Handling was great; now it's better than that. It'll take time to get used to the shocks and the springs because the ride is much stiffer.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

With 32" inseam do you really think you need it? Not sure this will really help a bad knee.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:09 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I'm going with legends to lower my bike. 1" lower front shock cartridges and 12" rears.
I'm 6' with 29" inseam. Already have tall boy seat, and bad knees. I still can't flat foot the bike.

I spoke with Eric at legends and he claims that over 90% of their customers call back being very happy with the ride and handling of the Ultra.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunlowrider
Got 12" shocks to replace the 13's and put new springs in the front. I love the position of the bike. Handling was great; now it's better than that. It'll take time to get used to the shocks and the springs because the ride is much stiffer.
If those 12" shocks actually have 4" travel like it was mentioned to you by the manufacturer then ride should softer not stiffer and is it really a 4" travel which seems impossible from the measurement of the 12" shocks body.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 AM
riderdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
With 32" inseam do you really think you need it? Not sure this will really help a bad knee.
90% of my riding is two-up with my wife. When you put her on the back it does put some stress on my knee's when stopping. Thought I would try to get it lower and see if that helps. Sounds like a lower seat would be the first thing to try.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:56 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master

Did the boots with higher heel; lowering springs in front and 12" shocks in back. Rode with the wife today for the first time with this set up and was very happy with the handling and my control of the bike. The ride is stiff. Not sure if that's because of new shocks and springs or that I'm still adjusting. Worried that the front might not loosen enough. But VERY happy, with my 29 1/2 inch inseam withe the control aspect.

Quick Reply: Lowering a Ultra Limited