2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered Malo bars for the RGU..........

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 PM
duckcomando
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just ordered Malo bars for the RGU..........

Well I just ordered a set of 14" Malo's for the bike....now the wait begins. Called the local HD shop to get a quote on the chizeled bars installed with braided cables at 6.5 hours labor was around $1300 figure I will go with the Malo and save quite a bit of money. They factory 47 website says I can use my stock cables and wires so that's a plus. I'm a bigger guy and I think I will like the extra width compared to the chizeled bars plus my wallet is happy as well.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:16 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd question using the stock wires. I just installed 12.5 inch bars on my 16 RGS with a little more pull back and the stock switch wires on the right side worked, but were a little too tight for my liking. I purchased the Harley wire extender and I've got plenty of slack. The whole job took me three hours taking my own sweet time. The labor charge by dealers for handlebar replacement is a ripoff.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 PM
duckcomando
Advanced

What about the clutch and brake line? Did you have enough slack?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 15 RGS the stock wiring was perfect for my 13" road star 6 bars.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Great choice! I think you'll love them. I installed the same bar on my 15 without any extensions just fine. If you havent watched their install videos, they're worth a look to see how to free up some line. I put in some poly riser bushings and as usual on an ape install, I'm glad I did.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
duckcomando
Advanced

Poly Riser Bushings? Is that something I should think about while I have it torn down? I haven't heard of them before. I will search the forums.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by duckcomando
What about the clutch and brake line? Did you have enough slack?
Yes. For the brake line it helps to disconnect the starter wire (I think that's what it is). Just find the brake line running through the right side under the instrument panel and it will be the wire assembly running under it. It plugs into a mount on the lower right. If you simply run that wire over the brake line and reconnect it you'll get more slack.

As far as the clutch goes, you'll have to cut a wire tie that was darn difficult to get to under the instrument panel at the bottom left. Trace the clutch cable and you'll find it. It was difficult to cut with wire cutters because it's in a tight place. Once cut, it'll release a good deal of slack.

It was easier changing the bars on the RG than the SG I had that's for sure.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 AM
duckcomando
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeteF
Yes. For the brake line it helps to disconnect the starter wire (I think that's what it is). Just find the brake line running through the right side under the instrument panel and it will be the wire assembly running under it. It plugs into a mount on the lower right. If you simply run that wire over the brake line and reconnect it you'll get more slack.

As far as the clutch goes, you'll have to cut a wire tie that was darn difficult to get to under the instrument panel at the bottom left. Trace the clutch cable and you'll find it. It was difficult to cut with wire cutters because it's in a tight place. Once cut, it'll release a good deal of slack.

It was easier changing the bars on the RG than the SG I had that's for sure.
Thanks for the tip. The videos isn't show the starter wire so that's good to know.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 AM
BRO
Tourer

When I installed my 14" Malo's, I didn't use any extra wire nor plugs. Works great, easy install and the bars are really comfortable and good looking.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

When I ordered my 14" Malos, I received them in three weeks. I had them in my hands in less than twenty days. I should of went with the 12" though.

Quick Reply: Just ordered Malo bars for the RGU..........