Ohlins 2-2A and FKC 102 Cartridge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:17 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by nevada72
Not sure who you are addressing this to, but since we've communicated offline, I'll toss out that you have very specific settings for those two things as recommended by Howard. The sag is 1/3rd of the stroke. You have 3.7 of stroke, so your sag is about and 1.22 inches.

The rebound dampener gets set to 6 clicks from the top. All the way out (lefty loosey) is full dampening. All the way, the least.

The zip tie method is to see if you are bottoming.

FWIW, I went back and readjusted mine. I screwed something up and had too much sag. Now that I have added preload the bike rides way better with less bottoming. Cheryl noticed a big difference on the back. You'll be very happy with the shocks.
IMO (only) I believe that you did not screw up; but as with any quality, precise tolerances, the shocks "mate", think of a kind of "wearing in" and your shocks get smoother in their action. This is very noticeable if you would have first installed the shocks than road the bike to fine tune than magically the bike comes back immediately with 1K miles on it than ride it again. Someone re-tune the shocks first than you can ride the shocks to compare the ride. You could than know the difference. The reason why is because all suspensions change gradually and not a dramatic, immediate change. That is why people can ride worn out shocks and not know the difference for years. You should realize a much smoother ride now than on day one ride. You did not do anything wrong.

In actually your wife should than thank you for putting on all of those uncomfortable miles riding your bike solo just so your shocks offer a much better ride for her. There is a valid holiday that should be printed on our house calendar is Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 called Husband Appreciation (true) day which should be celebrated for all of your sacrifices such as this one.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-05-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Thanks Howard - I appreciate that. Either way, the bike is better than ever. I'm super happy with your shocks.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:06 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,122 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Since I'm patiently waiting for my #2.5 Adjustables to show up, I'll ask.....Have you figured them out yet? Are you using Howard's zip-tie method? What's your sag and sweep valve settings?
The front is perfect. I can't remember the sag of the top of my head, but I can get it for you if you decide to go that route. The rear is not resolved yet. Mostly because the only spare hands around here are 38 weeks pregnant. She loses what little sense of humor she has left trying to take repeated shock measurements for me. These aren't the sweep adjustable rears, just the standard 2-2A's. I think the travel is just too short on them. I might have saved money just buying new shocks set up correctly from Howard the first time.

I've been on the road for work, so even sneaking in a ride has been difficult. I'll get back to work on it in the winter most likely. It's good enough to ride as is, just not where I want it. It looks cool with the fender in the dirt, but I couldn't care less about that. I want a smooth ride, that handles.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
The front is perfect. I can't remember the sag of the top of my head, but I can get it for you if you decide to go that route. The rear is not resolved yet. Mostly because the only spare hands around here are 38 weeks pregnant. She loses what little sense of humor she has left trying to take repeated shock measurements for me. These aren't the sweep adjustable rears, just the standard 2-2A's. I think the travel is just too short on them. I might have saved money just buying new shocks set up correctly from Howard the first time.

I've been on the road for work, so even sneaking in a ride has been difficult. I'll get back to work on it in the winter most likely. It's good enough to ride as is, just not where I want it. It looks cool with the fender in the dirt, but I couldn't care less about that. I want a smooth ride, that handles.
My mistake, I thought you'd gotten the Adjustables.