2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015-16 Road Glide bars?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016 | 10:36 AM
Womack
Tourer

Once I rolled the stock bars forward on my 2015 RGS the stock bars were ok but still just wasn't very happy with them. I ended up going with LA Choppers 13" Twin Peaks and couldn't be happier. Perfect for my liking for sure. All the stock cables and wiring worked without having to replace.
Swomack

Old 05-11-2016 | 03:02 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CR3999
I guess the gods are finally with me, received mine today. Toke less than 20 working days to get to my house.
I hated the stock bars.
Does the ultra have the same bars as the custom RG?
Dude, I swear I waited 2 months. Congrats! Its a fun project putting them on. You tackling it this weekend?

Old 05-11-2016 | 04:52 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

I find they stock bars fit me perfectly. I can ride with my shoulders down and relaxed. The perfect position is to sit on your bike close your eyes and put your hands where they fall naturally. In most cases you find you need the bars closer to your hands. For control you want your weight above the bars not below them. Crotch Rockets are a perfect example. Apes look cool but they suck for long range cruising and they in fact have an impact or corner balance and control. If you ride a straight line disregard that opinion. If wind management is important you want your arms and hands tucked behind the fairing the best you can. Apes are for looks and style not handling and performance.

Old 05-11-2016 | 06:23 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I find they stock bars fit me perfectly. I can ride with my shoulders down and relaxed. The perfect position is to sit on your bike close your eyes and put your hands where they fall naturally. In most cases you find you need the bars closer to your hands. For control you want your weight above the bars not below them. Crotch Rockets are a perfect example. Apes look cool but they suck for long range cruising and they in fact have an impact or corner balance and control. If you ride a straight line disregard that opinion. If wind management is important you want your arms and hands tucked behind the fairing the best you can. Apes are for looks and style not handling and performance.
Id disagree with you to a point. I find apes to be far more comfortable and handle better than low bars. Now im not talking apes that have your hands way above your shoulders. 14 to 16" apes handle better at low parking lot speeds as well as long trips. Im 6-2. To each their own. Everyones riding and comfort style is a bit different. But to profess symantics to a stranger is foolish. I find apes have more leverage and finer control

Last edited by ! rock103 !; 05-11-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2016 | 06:53 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
Id disagree with you to a point. I find apes to be far more comfortable and handle better than low bars. Now im not talking apes that have your hands way above your shoulders. 14 to 16" apes handle better at low parking lot speeds as well as long trips. Im 6-2. To each their own. Everyones riding and comfort style is a bit different. But to profess symantics to a stranger is foolish. I find apes have more leverage and finer control
I'll preface this with this disclaimer: I've never owned a bike with apes.

When I rolled the stock '16 RGU bars all the way up, I couldn't ride for more than 30 minutes without numbness. Is that the height? Is that the wrist angle? I dunno. What I do know is that I'm 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam and when I had my Batwing Ultras I was plenty happy with WO575 bars which had my hands well below my shoulders.

Having ridden bikes with apes, I can't see at all how it's an improvement in low-speed or high-speed handling. With the wrists lower you get more leverage on the grips to push the bike into turns.

Old 05-11-2016 | 07:32 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Took my new apes out for a test run this evening. I just finished installing the HD fat apes. Wow, so much better than stock!

Old 05-11-2016 | 07:53 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
I'll preface this with this disclaimer: I've never owned a bike with apes.

When I rolled the stock '16 RGU bars all the way up, I couldn't ride for more than 30 minutes without numbness. Is that the height? Is that the wrist angle? I dunno. What I do know is that I'm 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam and when I had my Batwing Ultras I was plenty happy with WO575 bars which had my hands well below my shoulders.

Having ridden bikes with apes, I can't see at all how it's an improvement in low-speed or high-speed handling. With the wrists lower you get more leverage on the grips to push the bike into turns.
Having apes doesnt necessarily mean the hands are above shoulders. My 14s are well below my shoulders and 16s are about shoulder height. But both afford me ability to ride from one side of a fuel pump to the other side more easily than stock or low bars. Ive compared low bars, drag bars, mini apes and tall apes on several style bikes over the years. For me...tallish apes (14-16") are most comfortable and afford the best handling to me.

Old 05-12-2016 | 07:22 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I rolled mine forward also and now love them. They are like mini apes and it took 5 minutes to do.
Those of you who did this, you say it took 5 minutes? I took the instrument cover off, still have to take the bolts out of the side of the forks, right? Then it's just 4 bolts to loosen the clamp? Also, are they just knurled where the clamp goes down over them? Maybe a little longer than 5 minutes? LOL

Old 05-12-2016 | 08:45 PM
GliderXXX
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Those of you who did this, you say it took 5 minutes? I took the instrument cover off, still have to take the bolts out of the side of the forks, right? Then it's just 4 bolts to loosen the clamp? Also, are they just knurled where the clamp goes down over them? Maybe a little longer than 5 minutes? LOL
That's 5 Internet DIY minutes

Old 05-12-2016 | 09:31 PM
RKC1965
Tourer

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I didn't take any bolts out of the side of the forks. Yes they are just knurled where the clamp goes. I pulled the pin out with vise grips,some suggest just punching it flush. Cover your tank with something in case something goes flying and scratches it. For now I like the way it feels with the bars turned up.

Quick Reply: 2015-16 Road Glide bars?!