Sponsored by:

heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shapleigh
have a 214 limited wondering if the heated grips can be turned on/off with a new button on the console with the one for the passing lamps.
that is controlled via the computer?
instead of using side of grip to turn them on/off I would leave them on and use this button to power them on/off and the side of grip could be used to set temp making them last longer?

This is the way I've set it up on my last three bikes. Always at setting 2, and the Acc. button for on/off.
I like not having to mess with the dial at the end of the grip, it seems like it will eventually malfunction.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 PM
BlueTK
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I may understand the reason for the OP's question. I have found many times where I've inadvertently rotated the dial on the end of the grip. Now I'm always checking to make sure it's in the off position. Guess I have a bad habit of not watching how I grip.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
I don't have heated grips as my "low" did not come with them. Would you guys recommend them over heated gloves? I have read that the grips only hear your palm(which honestly I have never got home and yelled "my palms are freezing") where as the gloves heat your whole hand including your fingers. I have no experience with either.
Lol MY PALMS ARE FREEZING Hahahaha!

I have both, I'm at a loss to say which I prefer more...

First off, I hate the gloves. They're warm but they're far too bulky for my taste, and very expensive. A liner ($70-$100) is the better way to go as far as heated wearables, at least in my case. Much more comfortable and work exactly the same as the gloves.

But between grips/liners? Long term comfort id say the liners; but I have no complaints about the grips; they do get hot, and work well in spite of the cooler air on the top of hands, when using the grips alone(but I have apes, and mine are in the wind, that may be a difference)

On really cold 30-40 deg days, using them both together is AWESOME, however. That's the bestest!! If you went with grips, and turn them above "2", you WILL get home and yell, MY PALMS ARE ON FIRE", so there's that...

Last edited by Onedef1; 04-27-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 600 Posts

I don't have heated grips as my "low" did not come with them. Would you guys recommend them over heated gloves? I have read that the grips only hear your palm(which honestly I have never got home and yelled "my palms are freezing") where as the gloves heat your whole hand including your fingers. I have no experience with either.
I've got a set of heated grips on my 15RGS and yes they do keep your palms warm but also your fingers. Warm fingers allow you grip the bars better and use the controls clutch/brake effectively. Frozen fingers will limit your dexterity and thus inhibit your reaction time while riding.

I've got heated grips and a set of heated gloves for when I ride my sport bike. The gloves do warm your entire hand but they are a tad bit bulky and you have to remember to bring them in order to be effective..... Out & about on a nice sunny day you may not choose to wear the heated gloves but as the sun fades and the temperatures drop an hour or 2 from home your gloves will do you no good sitting on the shelf. However the heated grips will always be there when you need them

Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 275 Likes on 170 Posts

The last bike I had was equipped with heated grips. Of course I'm not in Maine but was constantly moving the temp up and down ... and not a problem In 5 yrs. Just thinking a mod might not be necessary

Old 04-28-2016, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
The last bike I had was equipped with heated grips. Of course I'm not in Maine but was constantly moving the temp up and down ... and not a problem In 5 yrs. Just thinking a mod might not be necessary
The last three Ultra's I have had all had heated grips. In ND you can use them almost all year. Nights in August can still get chilly. I have never had one fail. No need to overthink it, just use them.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Ok, what ones are the best to get? MoCo or aftermarket?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Ok, what ones are the best to get? MoCo or aftermarket?
Scroll though this tread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...a-classic.html
There is good news about the HD stock heated grips, and bad news for the HD P&A heated grips.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Scroll though this tread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...a-classic.html
There is good news about the HD stock heated grips, and bad news for the HD P&A heated grips.
Thanks.