Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converters???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016 | 09:04 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slck15
I know someone with a set of de-catted pipes off a 2012 that he is willing to give me. Will they fit my 2015 SGS?
Yes. It will be a direct bolt on. Anything '10 and newer if i'm not mistaken...

Old 04-27-2016 | 10:44 AM
swing2hard
Cruiser

I really like the idea of the decatting the head pipe for reducing heat, when it's 90+ degrees out my right leg is on fire at stop lights hehe

I just bought a 2014 SGS & the original owner took the baffles out of the mufflers but dang I love my hearing more than being heard 1/2 mile away, V&H slipons going on this weekend.

Old 04-28-2016 | 07:07 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't know who you're getting "both answers" from,, they are in the head pipe, right before it splits into mufflers,,, it would be more expensive for the MOCO to put them in the mufflers,, also it would be MUCH easier to delete it without buying complete exhaust!

Old 04-28-2016 | 09:07 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
No madder what anyone says you are not getting it all out with a drill.
Umm... I beg to differ. Mine is CLEAN AS A WHISTLE.

The remainder of it comes out on its own in just a few miles.

I only drilled a 1.25" hole through mine and the rest came out on its own within 50 miles. Long story as to why it happened like that, and it wasn't intentional, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:34 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Don't know who you're getting "both answers" from,, they are in the head pipe, right before it splits into mufflers,,, it would be more expensive for the MOCO to put them in the mufflers,, also it would be MUCH easier to delete it without buying complete exhaust!
The new "Screamin' Eagle High Flow Exhaust" has them in the mufflers though.

Old 06-05-2016 | 11:15 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Funny, I'm on the fence about doing the same. I'm trying the DK thunder torque inserts just in case they work as advertised and bring that low end back because I love the sound and the fact that it runs cooler, but if they don't work I'll likely do the same as you. The thing used to be a stump puller at 2000+ rpm, but not so much anymore.
How did the DK's work out for you? Bring back the low end? Wondering, if with a decat'd header, would a V&H "quiet" baffle bring back low end, but still have a better top end then before the decat. Should bring back some back pressure and help with scavenging.

Old 06-05-2016 | 12:34 PM
CdnArmyGuy
Cruiser

The problem here now, is the Cops run the rod in to the new bikes for the Cat. Im going to true duels or just take out half. At Port Dover some got nailed.

Old 06-05-2016 | 12:39 PM
Agrsiv
Advanced

Originally Posted by CdnArmyGuy
The problem here now, is the Cops run the rod in to the new bikes for the Cat. Im going to true duels or just take out half. At Port Dover some got nailed.
That's where the ttis come in handy. Cant get a rod past them.

Old 07-09-2016 | 08:17 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Funny, I'm on the fence about doing the same. I'm trying the DK thunder torque inserts just in case they work as advertised and bring that low end back because I love the sound and the fact that it runs cooler, but if they don't work I'll likely do the same as you. The thing used to be a stump puller at 2000+ rpm, but not so much anymore.
I bought a used 2011 last month and have been researching the decat. My RK has RC Components step down 4" slip ons, it has the best low end torque of any TC FL I have owned. I would like to get rid of the heat at my right foot, but it's not as bad as my 07 Ultra. I don't want to decat and find out later I messed up low end torque and it runs good, sounds good and no decel pop, mpg is 47 hwy. The only gain is getting rid of heat at the risk of loosing the other positive things. Is it worth it? Stay with the catted head pipe? I am on the fence. I am not interested in buying true duals, headers tuners etc, been down that road. Someone push me off the fence!

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (07-16-2016)
Old 07-10-2016 | 10:14 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
It probably will not throw a code. BUT! You greatly reduce the back pressure so the bike should be re-tuned to match this set up. Or you run the risk of improper fuel mixture and some damaged heads.
^^^ this is incorrect. Nothing needs to be done, nothing needs to be changed by drilling or removing the CAT. No codes will be thrown, there is not a huge change in back pressure and if anything, you might get lucky and end up with a slightly better AFR from 14.6:1 to 14.3:1.
Bottom line, the O2 sensors with the ECM make the correct adjustment.

Quick Reply: catalytic converters???