Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Light Power Switch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
No. The wiring to that location is there for all FLHX & FLHT bikes. That wiring is CANBUS. The switches themselves install into the CANBUS interface module which is NOT present on FLHX models but IS present for FLHT models.

So, to use the left console switches to wire anything in requires the kit WITH the interface module if you only have blanks in the left console position.

If you already have a switch in the leftmost spot on the left console, you need the kit W/O the module. The switches themselves can be purchased separately & plugged into an existing module.

In either case, if you want to wire in more than just the AUX lights (standard on Ultra & Limited models) you will need the Accessories wiring harness that works via switches in the left console. This works via the switch providing a signal to the left console module, which sends the signal via CANBUS to the BCM, which then turns on voltage to the correct wire output via either stock wiring or the (switched) Accessories wiring harness, which plugs into the accessories connector located under the left side cover.
  • Left position switch turns on/off the AUX lights circuit that goes to the fairing.
  • Center position switch turns on/off the three wires in the (switched) Accessories harness (handles accessories that draw 2Amps or less).
  • Right position switch turns on/off the relay output in the (switched) Accessories harness (handles accessories that draw more than 2Amps).

To further complicate things, there is also a kit that includes a right console module & a stand-alone Accessories harness that has power w/o needing a console switch to turn it on.

So, overall, H-D has pretty much covered all the bases. Only problem is the descriptions of what fits what & what is needed for what accessories is pretty vague.

Hope this helps.

I think I got it, but just to put it in my stupid terms.
Since I have an FLHTK that already has the button for the passing lamps, I just need the 106 kit since the housing should already be there. I just need to add the buttons. The wiring is already there back to the module. I just need to then add the wiring harness under the left side cover; ie, there is already a harness plugged into a module, this wiring harness that comes with the kit goes between where it's plugged into now?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by cwickgo9
I think I got it, but just to put it in my stupid terms.
Since I have an FLHTK that already has the button for the passing lamps, I just need the 106 kit since the housing should already be there. I just need to add the buttons. The wiring is already there back to the module. I just need to then add the wiring harness under the left side cover; ie, there is already a harness plugged into a module, this wiring harness that comes with the kit goes between where it's plugged into now?
Stock FLHTK needs just the switch that plugs into the left existing console CAN module (about $16). The stock FLHTK does not have anything plugged into the ACCY plug located under the left side cover.

If your bike has been modified (for example, added a heated seat), then the ACCY plug under the left side cover will have wiring already plugged into that ACCY connector under the left side cover. In that case you should consult with your dealer parts/service guys to determine if you need to change/modify that wiring in order to get a switched hot output to connect the lights to.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

So for the FLHTK, all I need are these two buttons, not the wiring harness? There's already a wiring harness under the left side cover to attach other accessories? Sorry for asking as I have only had the left side cover off once and dont remember seeing one.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:03 PM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need the whole 106 kit. I just did this on my 15 cvo limited and used all the parts. The wiring harness will plug into the gray plug in the left side panel and route it up under the seat. You would want to install both switches while you are at it for future.

The following users liked this post:
cwickgo9 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 03:53 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

So do you actually have to pull the "dash" to pull the spacers and insert the new buttons?

Old 08-25-2017, 04:15 PM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. And take apart the switch module to remove the blanks and put in the buttons. It is not hard to do but just takes a little time. I would suggest not having a beer until its done. HAHA

Old 12-27-2017, 01:04 PM
jiriza84641
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Harness

Ok, not the brain stormer question. I have the 17 SGS and have a switch with passing lamps, which harness would i need to have the 2nd and 3rd switch operational??

Old 12-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jiriza84641
Ok, not the brain stormer question. I have the 17 SGS and have a switch with passing lamps, which harness would i need to have the 2nd and 3rd switch operational??
You have 1 switch already installed to activate passing lamps which uses existing OEM wiring?

In that case you'll just need everything in the picture in Post 23:
  • the two switches to insert into the left console module,
  • the Accessories wiring harness to plug into the Accessories connector under the left side cover.

The middle switch powers the direct switched leads in that harness.

The right switch powers the relay switched lead in that harness.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM
jiriza84641
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
You have 1 switch already installed to activate passing lamps which uses existing OEM wiring?

In that case you'll just need everything in the picture in Post 23:
  • the two switches to insert into the left console module,
  • the Accessories wiring harness to plug into the Accessories connector under the left side cover.

The middle switch powers the direct switched leads in that harness.

The right switch powers the relay switched lead in that harness.
Thanks for the input, but that kit is for a 16 and later. Think HD reinvented the wheel for the 17 up, the current pak doesn't have a wire for the 3rd switch. According to the wiring diagram it is controlled by the BCM/ECU to power the cool flow fan.

Last edited by jiriza84641; 12-28-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jiriza84641
Thanks for the input, but that kit is for a 16 and later. Think HD reinvented the wheel for the 17 up, the current pak doesn't have a wire for the 3rd switch. According to the wiring diagram it is controlled by the BCM/ECU to power the cool flow fan.
It's the same. The left console switchpack uses the canbus signal/wiring to communicate with the BCM so that is the only wiring needed for the switchpack to send control signals (turn on/turn off) to the BCM. The 3rd switch plugs into the left console module (switchpack) just like the 1st & 2nd switches. The BCM knows which switch is on & which is off. The BCM then turns on/off the appropriate circuit in the Accessories Connector where that wiring harness plugs in. The 3rd switch controls the relay switching in that wiring harness.

Last edited by Hammz; 12-28-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Light Power Switch Kit