Sponsored by:

New Head Pipe installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:49 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default New Head Pipe installation

Ok I am about to pull the trigger on either the V&H dresser duals or the power duals (haven't decided on which way to go yet) for my 15 road glide. the installation looks pretty straight forward. Just want some input on how difficult (if difficult at all) it was to install the new headers. Also getting the FP3 fuel pak and that looks really easy to install.

The reason I ask is because the header to the engine bolts kind of look like a bitch to reach.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Ok I am about to pull the trigger on either the V&H dresser duals or the power duals (haven't decided on which way to go yet) for my 15 road glide. the installation looks pretty straight forward. Just want some input on how difficult (if difficult at all) it was to install the new headers. Also getting the FP3 fuel pak and that looks really easy to install.

The reason I ask is because the header to the engine bolts kind of look like a bitch to reach.
I just installed a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 pipe on my Limited. The crossover is a bitch if you screw up the gasket. I mention this, because you say power duals. If you do not have lower fairing on your RG the head pipe is easy to remove. Take the heat shields off and that will give you a better shot at the exhaust studs. I also have the FP3 and am very pleased with it's functions.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:17 PM
zz2h33
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with the power duals if you want V&H. I'm making pretty decent power with this head pipe. Ive also heard good things about the FM 2-1-2 as mentioned above.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 PM
wparente
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I found a u-joint for the socket a must along with an extension. It was a pain but would have been worse without it. Nothing difficult just awakerd.
I to have an FP3 and could not be happier. It dose the basics really easy along with auto-tune but will require studying to go deeper. Unless you know what your doing with tables it looks like a bit of a stretch for me.
I might add I used a decated stock header. Aftermarket pipes may have a different bend by the header studs which may make it easier.

Last edited by wparente; 04-12-2016 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jclax01 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

I just installed my Power Duals and it's not really that bad. You'll need to install the new heat shields before putting on the new head pipe. One thing you might find confusing is the instructions say to install just the head pipe and finger tighten the flange nuts. Then you'll need to adjust the transmission bracket so the hole lines up with the one near the collector on the head pipe. Tighten one of the transmission bolts that holds the transmission bracket and then you'll remove the head pipe so you can tighten the other bolt that you can't get to when the header is on. You don't need to remove your lowers if you have them (it'll be a hell of a lot easier if you don't though) and I have but didn't need a universal joint either. 1/4 inch torque wrench you will need.
I couldn't get my pipe to seal at the ports. I took it off and reinstalled 4 times and couldn't get it to seal completely. V&H is sending me another head pipe because they believe it's out of alignment. Make sure to check that too with smoke or a small flame.
The FP3 is fantastic. You will like it.

The following users liked this post:
jclax01 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01

FYI- V&H power duals are common to scrape on hard right handers!

Take off your right floorboards, right fairing lowers (if you have them) order a new set of SE header gaskets.

As well as what was mentioned above.

I personally would choose a different Turner, but that's just me.

Good luck.

YB

YB

Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I went with the S&S Power Tune headpipes, which still have the crossover. Have a Limited, so the lower fairing wasn't coming off. No swivel socket was used. Wasn't as bad of a job as this forum lead me to believe.

Good time to replace the brake lever with a Softbrake. I went with the FP3 and it's been flawless.

Good luck on the decisions!