2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016 | 03:21 PM
dh_meyer
|
Road Captain
Default Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)

I have a 2015 Limited that got added to the recall list late last year/early this year, that was not on the list for the earlier recalls.

I brought the bike out of storage (about 5 months of storage) yesterday and the clutch seemed to perform just fine. I'm debating whether to take it in for service if I'm not having problems.

I know there is some risk in doing nothing, but I hate taking any vehicle to a dealer for anything.

Is anyone else approaching it this way ?

Old 04-11-2016 | 03:27 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior

Take it in.. You can wait for the bike while they do the recall & then ride home.
Shop for chrome while you wait

Old 04-11-2016 | 03:29 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Personally I think it would be a mistake not to take advantage of recall. If you skip the recall and anything "bad" ever happens related to the clutch it wouldn't surprise me if the Moco tried to push it back on you for not getting the recall done. Just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-11-2016 | 03:37 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

One member that I know of, who also refuses to let a dealer touch his bike, didn't have the clutch recall done. He flushed the system, installed fresh fluid and bled the system himself. As far as I'm aware, everything is working like it should.

Edit: I don't like having dealers touch my bike, either. However, I did have them do the clutch recall. Of course, shortly afterward, fluid leaked out of the reservoir and caused the paint to start peeling. That's what I get!

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 04-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2016 | 03:40 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Get it done and the bag recall that your bike probably qualifies for done at the same time. Both quick fixes.

Old 04-11-2016 | 04:23 PM
MoPhat
6th Gear

Know what you mean - I like to do all my own work too. I get the recalls done just cuz I don't want them to come back on me like WEVSSPOT said. Of course when I did, the service writer comes out with a severed wire harness & asks if "they" installed the handlebars I installed. When I said, "no, I put those on", the guy tells me the tech found a problem when he put it back together & found this wire was cut when he was testing things. He then had the gall to ask if I wanted them to fix it!! My answer was, "Well everything was working on the left hand controls when I rolled in this morning so he must have pinched the wires when he put it back together. Yes, you should fix that". LOL!! The guy spent over an hour soldering it back together. I checked with parts a few months later & that harness was only about $20 so I replaced it cuz a patch job didn't impress me. I also noticed a week later that he tightened down the middle windshield bolt & puckered the fairing a little which also stress cracked the Memphis Shades shield I put on. Then about a month later I noticed fluid around the cap so I took that apart & cleaned it up before it hit the paint like GALVTEXGUY.

Sometimes . . . . .

Old 04-11-2016 | 04:52 PM
dh_meyer
|
Road Captain

Just to clarify ......... I was thinking of not doing anything (ie NOT do it myself, either).

If the issue is brought on by long periods of storage, and I did not experience the issue (after 5 months of storage), how likely is this to turn into an issue during the riding season ? Then, re-assess next year.

Or is it not really a matter of storage ?

I hate service trips .......... that mushroom into multiple trips to get it done right. (Does not happen often, I realize.)

Old 04-11-2016 | 05:09 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I know for sure something bad is more likely to happen if you take your bike in for the service, every time you take your bike to the dealer for service the likelihood of "issues" goes up.
I took my bike in for the service just to get my service record clean.
Until you've experienced being screwed over by the dealer, you will think my post is a joke.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 04-11-2016 | 05:16 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Just to clarify ......... I was thinking of not doing anything (ie NOT do it myself, either).

If the issue is brought on by long periods of storage, and I did not experience the issue (after 5 months of storage), how likely is this to turn into an issue during the riding season ? Then, re-assess next year.

Or is it not really a matter of storage ?

I hate service trips .......... that mushroom into multiple trips to get it done right. (Does not happen often, I realize.)
Why risk it? What happens if you loose the ability to stop at a light without stalling? If you don't want them to do it, buy a new master cylinder and replace it yourself but I would eliminate a known problem ahead of time. Just my

Old 04-11-2016 | 05:52 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer

I guess I have a better dealer than you. Any time I can get free service I'm there. If the would change any of my fluids for free each year they would get my bike. They even wash it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)