2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016 | 08:00 AM
dh_meyer
|
Road Captain

After I had the clutch recall performed, I looked it all over pretty well for leaks, etc - I didn't see anything at the clutch fluid reservoir nor at the derby cover, but will keep an eye on it.

Its probably a matter of me over-analyzing the bike after the work was done, but on the ride home, it almost seemed like I could feel a slight 'buzz', kinda like a 'non-smooth' road surface would give. Hopefully its just my imagination, but could the 'clutch lift' adjustment step that is performed with the derby open, somehow trigger this sensation ?

Old 04-27-2016 | 09:30 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
After I had the clutch recall performed, I looked it all over pretty well for leaks, etc - I didn't see anything at the clutch fluid reservoir nor at the derby cover, but will keep an eye on it.

Its probably a matter of me over-analyzing the bike after the work was done, but on the ride home, it almost seemed like I could feel a slight 'buzz', kinda like a 'non-smooth' road surface would give. Hopefully its just my imagination, but could the 'clutch lift' adjustment step that is performed with the derby open, somehow trigger this sensation ?
I doubt if there's anything they "should have done" that would cause that, but after all, it was a H-D "tech" that was working on it, so anything's possible.

From my own experience, they're completely and totally capable of f-ing up a steel ball with a rubber hammer!

Old 04-27-2016 | 01:16 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpooch00
The actual issue that caused the recall was that the hacks that assembled the clutch master cylinder unit didn't thoroughly remove all of the final-cleaning solution from the main casting before assembly and the residual solvent reacted with the clutch fluid and caused it to form bubbles.

Nothing to do with the seals or other internal parts.
Over time there were reports of seal issues as well - along with a revision. The original issue did start they way you explained though.

BTW, the OP had his recall done and had no issues.

Old 04-27-2016 | 01:48 PM
lazye
Cruiser
Default how many of you have the same issue???

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
One member that I know of, who also refuses to let a dealer touch his bike, didn't have the clutch recall done. He flushed the system, installed fresh fluid and bled the system himself. As far as I'm aware, everything is working like it should.

Edit: I don't like having dealers touch my bike, either. However, I did have them do the clutch recall. Of course, shortly afterward, fluid leaked out of the reservoir and caused the paint to start peeling. That's what I get!
I think there is more to the reservoir paint peeling than we all know. Mine looks like there are 2 tiny weep holes in the cover towards the gasket or the this is another defective part HD has used. I personally know of several friends that have the same paint peeling issue. I was planning on bringing this issue to their attention on my next service. I just wondering now how many others have noticed this? It looks like it is leaking a little to me.

Old 04-27-2016 | 04:24 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lazye
I think there is more to the reservoir paint peeling than we all know. Mine looks like there are 2 tiny weep holes in the cover towards the gasket or the this is another defective part HD has used. I personally know of several friends that have the same paint peeling issue. I was planning on bringing this issue to their attention on my next service. I just wondering now how many others have noticed this? It looks like it is leaking a little to me.
The vent holes are normal. They are there to eliminate the possibility of a vacuum being created as the fluid goes down. There is a seal/gasket under it with springy-action.

No fluid should leak out, but sometimes moisture does. If it leaks actual fluid either take the cover off, clean the seal, tighten it "perfectly" while installing everything back OR just take it in to a dealer.

Old 04-27-2016 | 06:14 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The two times I've had a dealer touch my bike for service, the 1K along with the clutch recall and the 10K, the clutch reservoir leaked. After the 1K, the brake reservoir leaked, too. So, I don't know if it's a widespread issue or a technician issue. They've agreed to replace the reservoir assembly under warranty. To be honest, I don't know if I should trust that they won't screw that up.

Old 04-28-2016 | 07:04 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought the clutch recall was simply if you had symptoms, I do not appear to have any yet, in the first 5500 miles
So I guess I qualify as "Not taking it in"...

Old 04-28-2016 | 07:08 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The two times I've had a dealer touch my bike for service, the 1K along with the clutch recall and the 10K, the clutch reservoir leaked. After the 1K, the brake reservoir leaked, too. So, I don't know if it's a widespread issue or a technician issue. They've agreed to replace the reservoir assembly under warranty. To be honest, I don't know if I should trust that they won't screw that up.
Typical of H-D dealer service. And, yes, they can screw up a new reservoir install - along with anything else they try to do!

Old 04-28-2016 | 06:31 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

For posterity - had the recall done (as I would always do) and had no issues.

Old 05-02-2016 | 02:52 PM
dh_meyer
|
Road Captain

I noticed a 'spot' on the the gas tank, to the left of the console. Tried to wash it off with soap/water, but keeps returning. I hope its not some brake fluid or cleaning fluid that spilled on the tank. Any suggestions on how to clean this ?