2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016 | 08:43 AM
oakspeed
Tourer

Get it done. After mine was done I got a letter from harley saying the complete clutch system was covered for another 2 years outside the Warranty period.

Old 04-12-2016 | 07:26 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by oakspeed
Get it done. After mine was done I got a letter from harley saying the complete clutch system was covered for another 2 years outside the Warranty period.
Same for me. So there is a benefit, other than safety related, to having the recall done.

Old 04-17-2016 | 11:30 PM
Jeremy Gandy
1st Gear

I rode 3 hours to have my bike tuned. I have a dealer 4 miles from my house but my local riding group recommends the other dealership. Ask around, read reviews about your dealership vs others. Take a trip. I received exceptional service and am more than pleased with what I had done away from home. But go ahead and get the recall done.

Old 04-18-2016 | 08:30 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

I am surprised that this is even a question. I did the recall and noticed a BIG difference. and you get a free clutch oil replacement too? its really worth doing.

Old 04-26-2016 | 11:56 PM
dh_meyer
|
Road Captain

I (the OP) took the bike in for the clutch recall and bag pin recall today.
Seemed to go well - surprised that it took a total of just 30-40 minutes.

Glad to have it done. Might even be easier to find neutral now - maybe just my imagination.

Old 04-27-2016 | 04:54 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Pay attention to the reservoir over the next few days. Mine started leaking after I had the recall done and ate the paint right off.

Old 04-27-2016 | 06:27 AM
Nickblink
Tourer

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I have a 2015 Limited that got added to the recall list late last year/early this year, that was not on the list for the earlier recalls.

I brought the bike out of storage (about 5 months of storage) yesterday and the clutch seemed to perform just fine. I'm debating whether to take it in for service if I'm not having problems.

I know there is some risk in doing nothing, but I hate taking any vehicle to a dealer for anything.

Is anyone else approaching it this way ?
You should have your clutch updated. It will be almost 100% that the seals on the piston will break and you will have some big issues. The new seals and piston are different and much better design

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:03 AM
bulldog182
Intermediate

I would not think twice. Get it done. Don't take the chance. A local police department recently had one of their bikes hit the back of a pick up truck while it was in gear but the clutch was engaged. It is not worth the chance as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:30 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Default Right on, Brother!

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I have a 2015 Limited that got added to the recall list late last year/early this year, that was not on the list for the earlier recalls.

I brought the bike out of storage (about 5 months of storage) yesterday and the clutch seemed to perform just fine. I'm debating whether to take it in for service if I'm not having problems.

I know there is some risk in doing nothing, but I hate taking any vehicle to a dealer for anything.

Is anyone else approaching it this way ?
At least one!

Yeah, I agree with everything you say.

My '15 Limited showed the classic symptoms at around 500 miles. I just flushed about a quart of Valvoline Synthetic (actually, ALL brake fluid is "synthetic") DOT3/4 through mine and the issue was permanently solved. Took all of about 15-20 minutes.

Did the bag fastener recall myself, too, along with all of the required periodic maintenance and inspections outlined in the service manual checklist.

There's no way any brain-dead H-D "Tech" is ever gonna touch my bike - do it yourself, it's the only way to know that the work was actually done, and done right!!

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:39 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickblink
You should have your clutch updated. It will be almost 100% that the seals on the piston will break and you will have some big issues. The new seals and piston are different and much better design
The actual issue that caused the recall was that the hacks that assembled the clutch master cylinder unit didn't thoroughly remove all of the final-cleaning solution from the main casting before assembly and the residual solvent reacted with the clutch fluid and caused it to form bubbles.

Nothing to do with the seals or other internal parts.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else considered NOT getting the clutch recall work done ? (besides me)