Sponsored by:

Using routes in Navigation created in Basecamp

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Jeet
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using routes in Navigation created in Basecamp

Has anyone used routes they created in Garmin Basecamp in their Boom Navigation? I created the route and when I went to "Where To" > Trips and selected my route it brought up a screen that showed "Home" and my route name in the center. On the right side of the screen were an up and down arrow and between those it looked like a pencil icon. The pencil icon just kept flashing and 5 minutes later it was still sitting there flashing and I got no response from either joystick or screen buttons (didn't try hard buttons). I ended up cycling power on the bike.

I reviewed my route in Basecamp and it looks OK. There is only 1 Waypoint in the route and a few dozen via points for a 60 mile loop. Starts and ends at the same Waypoint.

Any ideas what's going on? I have done some searches but not finding a lot of help relative to what I'm seeing.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM
MasterMac
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it. Seems to work best using a few waypoints to create the route. With only 1 waypoint, I bet it tries to go from start to finish, so you are already there.

I would set waypoints along the path and create the route. Pay attention to 'fastest' vs. 'shortest' settings in both Basecamp and the Boom Box.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Jeet
Novice

Thanks. I dicked around with it too much yesterday afternoon and thought about this later (to/from the same Waypoint, which is why I mentioned it). I was going to try a shorter route going from my home/waypoint to another location and see what that does.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 PM
MasterMac
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just working on a route in BaseCamp to meet up with a buddy at ROT (Republic of Texas) Rally.

I had problems whenever I tried to just adjust/move points (via points?) on the route to go the way I wanted. Works very well just setting up the Waypoints and letting it go from waypoint to waypoint. I believe our GPS' will take up to 100 waypoints.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yesterday I bought the tutorial video "Complete Harley Davidson Ride Planner & GPS Guide" from www.lawabidingbiker.com. It is only $19.99 and explaines how to set up routes, make hotel reservations plus how to get it loaded into a GPS and the new Harley Boom Box. There are also other videos on the system which I think I will buy in the near future.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

I use BaseCamp exclusively for routing on my Boom system. I do not use via points. I use a LOT of Waypoints to ensure that my routes follow precisely where I want to go. The main issue I run into is that the Boom maps are not as up to date as the Garmin maps so I occasionally get a conflict due to that. Another issue is that the boom maps and the Garmin maps don't always align precisely so on occasion a waypoint I set will show up on a side street, this shouldn't be as big an issue as it is but trying to get the Boom system to cancel an errant waypoint while calculating it's way back to that missed waypoint can be a challenge. Usually I have to pull off to the side to give it time. Fortunately this is a fairly rare occurrence...say once in every 750-1000 miles or so.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Jeet
Novice

Originally Posted by rwven
I do not use via points. I use a LOT of Waypoints to ensure that my routes follow precisely where I want to go.
Interesting because the manual says that there is a limit of 9 Waypoints.

But if you read here, the OP says that HD uses Waypoint the same way that the rest of the GPS world uses via points. And HD's word for Waypoint is "Location".

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-pathetic.html

Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Jeet
Novice

Originally Posted by MasterMac
With only 1 waypoint, I bet it tries to go from start to finish, so you are already there.
Waypoints vs via points. Without doing more playing around it's difficult for me to know what HD uses for terminology vs the rest of the word. Especially if I can't get a route loaded. I think you alluded to that in your first response even.

Anyway...last night I tried to alter the Bascamp route so that I had a Basecamp Waypoint at my start (my home) and ended several blocks from my home with another Basecamp Waypoint (my finish). And I had lots of Basecamp via points in between. I kept the name of the route the same hoping that when I imported it, it would overwrite my old one. No suck f'ing luck. Now I have two "trips" in the boom with the same name. And neither of them seem to load, although I'll try more tonight since I have more time. They both sit there with the "pencil" icon flashing and everything else locked up.

I did try another route that went from point A to B. I used Basecamp Waypoints for the start and end of the route, and plenty of Basecamp via points in between I imported that and when I selected it in "Where To > Trips" it calculated my route. I think I may try another A to B route tonight that has a couple dozen Basecamp via points and 3 or so Basecamp Waypoints.

I suspect that the routes I want to try and do, which are loops to and from my house, aren't handled well by the nav software in the Boom.

I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Basecamp for the Boom Nav system all the time, and have had no issues...

I use only waypoints in Basecamp to shape my route. I have also used the same waypoint as start and finish points without issue.

When I'm done creating the route in basecamp, I highlight the route I just created, select File-Export-[Route Name], then import the gpx file to the Nav system. Note: When importing, import only the single route name you saved the gpx file as. Do NOT import each waypoint. The one file with the route name you saved will already have all the waypoints in that route.

If I remember correctly, that pencil icon between the two arrows on the right hand side is the import icon. You have to press that icon to import your route. Once imported it will say it has completed. Once it is imported, go to Where To, select trips, then select the route name you imported. It may list all of the waypoints (I don't recall off hand), but you only want to select the main route name. That will load your route with all of your waypoints already in there, and you can choose to start the route.

The latest versions of the Boom Nav system allow up to 100 waypoints.

Last edited by caberto; 04-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeet
Interesting because the manual says that there is a limit of 9 Waypoints.

But if you read here, the OP says that HD uses Waypoint the same way that the rest of the GPS world uses via points. And HD's word for Waypoint is "Location".

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-pathetic.html
I think I am mixing up my terms a bit. It seems that a location, waypoint, via point or shaping point are different terms for the same thing. Originally my Boombox had a limit of 9 waypoints but one of the software updates bumped that to 100 waypoints. I use a lot of waypoints to force the GPS to follow the exact route I want to take, otherwise the GPS will route from waypoint to waypoint based on the route preference settings. On longer routes I break the route up into several sections. The length of a section will be determined by how many "waypoints" I choose to use. I try to limit each section to around 75 waypoints.

Sometimes I like to just pick a Destination and let the GPS do the routing based on the route preference settings. I usually go with Curvy Roads or Scenic with toll and highway avoidance.

Last edited by rwven; 04-12-2016 at 09:57 PM.