Sponsored by:

Planning to ride to the Keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Planning to ride to the Keys

My buddy and I have planned in a couple of weeks to ride from Chesapeake, Virginia down to the Keys. First, we want to get to Florida quickly and then take it easy from there. We probably want to ride down on A1A and check out interesting places such as, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach and Cape Canaveral. What else can you local guys recommend to see, or where are really good (not too expensive) places to eat? I heard the Keys are expensive and the food is not too great either. Again, that's what I was told from somebody, who has been there. Any tips and advices are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rte 41 from Miami to Naples is a nice ride. Lots of Aligators on the way and do a Windboat ride. Awesome! Keys are all Tourist Attractions and Priced that way. They are only 100 miles long so You can stay off the keys in Homestead some nights and save some cash. Any time I went to Daytona, I left cause it was too cold and rode to the keys to warm up. I'll be riding to Weeki Wachie This june then off to New Orleans and Texas.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

The Keys in January are on my bucket list! From Colorado it's a little complicated that time of year. Wife and I have settled on flying to Fla and just renting an Ultra for a week. Would rather ride our own but probably not going to happen unless we ship the bike.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:57 PM
wparente
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ride over to the west side of Key West and walk up and down the docks around Ocean Drive. You'll find something you like, I chose CJ's Crab Shack. Just prior to Key West on Stock Island head East off of Hwy 1 to Hog Fish Bar & Grill, a place frequented by the locals. It's a little hard to find without directions. http://www.hogfishbar.com/home

Old 04-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

St Augustine is a trendy, upscale, tourist town with lots of good bars and restaurants. Daytona is a year round biker town, that has a lot of real biker bars & plenty of motorcycle shops. Both have nice beaches. Port Canaveral to Melbourne Beach have some cool spots as far as restaurants and bars. I'd suggest once you get down around Port St Lucie-Stuart-Jupiter, you head toward toward Lake Okeechobee and get around the Broward-Dade County area by connecting up to Krome Ave, which will run south along the edge of the Everglades & drop you off near the top of the Keys. How good the ride is from there will depend on traffic. One slow car can make a pleasant 3 hour ride turn into a 4 or 5 hour ride of frustration. I'd stay in Key West, as there is a lot of entertainment, and it gets crazy fun after sunset. Park your bike for your visit and party. Not much riding around there anyway. I've always thought the food was great in the Keys, other than the price.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:14 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Trailered from Colorado to Austin and then rode to Key West. Did it once in February and another year in March.

Yes the Keys are quite expensive but it is what it is. Just budget accordingly or go do the Redneck Riveria or someplace more economical if you find prices uncomfortable. I have found good food all along the way. Fresh seafood abounds! Of course we have missed the mark a couple times but that happens when you look for that diamond in the rough like I do.

There is no real riding except highway 1. But it is spectacular in my opinion!! I live in the mountains so the ocean is a rare and special treat. We took our time getting to Key West as that is the best part of the adventure. The first time we got delayed behind a crash as was delayed about 3 hours so arrived after dark. Stayed 2 nights both times in KW. You gotta see the craziness!! But it won't take long to get itchy feet and be totally over the Key West scene. The ride out you can leave in the morning and take as long as you want to cover the hundred miles or so.

Hope that helps. I loved the trip and would do it again in a minute.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I had always looked so forward to doing the Key West ride and finally did it last year. All I can tell you is that it sucked, totally sucked. I had a vision that I would be care free riding along the ocean, taking my time, enjoying the scenery. It was anything but that. Total congestion, total tourist crap, rarely see the water, constantly on the brakes. It's nice to check it off the list but, not sure it should have ever been on the list.

Now, Key West itself, is a blast. If you want to party, let go of yourself and see some crazy stuff, definitely go. If you plan for it to be the ride of a lifetime, check your expectations.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wife and I rode down to the Keys last year..........Your gonna love it.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Avoid the Florida Keys during Holidays.
Since there is only one way in and one way out some folks might forget that a holiday weekend would be the absolute worst time to to make such a ride.
The only time it could be worse is the last day of a holiday weekend when everyone is trying to get out.
If departing on a non-holiday Sunday make sure to get out early morning before 9am.
This link may help:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rida-keys.html

Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

Key West is always expensive, however once the winter season is over many of the motels and restaurants lower their prices for the summer.
Many motels have room for $79 a night during the summer months. Key West is nothing but a crazy, lunatic party place, but if that's what your looking for then get there and hold on.

Quick Reply: Planning to ride to the Keys