Sponsored by:

Making engines last longer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Remember what size hose? I'd like to stop at store on way home today, if not no big deal, I probably wouldn't remember.
5/16 gas line, Initially i ran the hose to a filter and it stopped there. I went on a long trip and was getting so much blow by that it was blowing back on cam cover and pipes. Now before everyone goes crazy and says i had the oil over filled, i didn't. I put a little over 3 quarts in and ran it and then topped it right to the mark. Cars and V twins are different for sure, but the internal combustion engine is the same. they all push, pull, bang, blow. It was less than a 10 dollar peace of mind and it works for me. When running and i put my hand at the hose i ran out of the bottom of the bike, it is oily and dirty air. No one will be able to tell me that is good for and machine with tolerances around .001 of and inch. Just mho

Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
So what? They do, and it's not a problem. People are constantly looking to solve problems that don't exist, and there are always vendors out there who will happily take their money selling "solutions".
When I install my catch can, I'll dump out the milky/oily/watery mess that comes out of it after just 500 miles. Then you can tell me if injecting that **** into your engine isn't going to cause problems over time. Have you seen piston comparisons between engines with and without external breathers?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:27 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I wonder what Octane white, oil infused water vapor is. Probably like 200. Bonus.
Ill bet it is! My stage 1 96ci 09 Ultra with over 116,000 troublefree miles runs better now than when it was brand new, doesnt seem to have minded ingesting that mist in all those miles. More power to those that do it. Imagine how slick the roads would be if all vehicles vented their crankcases to ground.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 05:23 PM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
When I install my catch can, I'll dump out the milky/oily/watery mess that comes out of it after just 500 miles. Then you can tell me if injecting that **** into your engine isn't going to cause problems over time. Have you seen piston comparisons between engines with and without external breathers?
Sounds like the dinner the OL is making!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:24 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

I thought about an external vent for my 14 RK, but when I changed my plugs at around 20k I took a look at the piston tops, they were clean. I stopped thinking about it.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DK's kit works great, ran the hoses so you can't see them, down to a filter under the trans. Bike even seems to run a little better, and no oil is dripping on the ground underneath for the eco worry warts out there. Buy a bore scope and look in the plug holes before and after, and then form your own opinion. Easier yet, just check out DK's site for pics.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 AM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Car to V twin comparison is apples to oranges.
Exactly.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

some bikes puke while others don't. neither of my twin camed bikes ever puked a drop and i know several others that havn't either.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It won't. If it would, there would be no PCV systems out there, as no OEM would warranty their engines with them. Harley designed the system, and gave you an unlimited-mileage warranty.

Like I said, use Top-Tier fuel and don't worry about it.

But your bike, your life, your money. Doesn't effect me one little bit what you want to believe.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

You seem to think the V-twin is high tech. Yeah its about as high tech as a lawnmower engine. I tore down cars for years and well unless it was an abused vehicle where they never changed the oil the valves and pistons were squeaky clean most times. Dirt causes engine wear oil doesn't. Want clean valves ride it in the rain. That little water mist does wonders on the top end. I've worked on million mile PCV cars. Evidently the crankcase venting into the manifold wasn't all that damaging after all. If you have a milky, watery mess its not from your oil.
That kinda of mess comes from a blown head gasket on cages.

Quick Reply: Making engines last longer