Sponsored by:

Making engines last longer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
Exactly what im saying. The car company's would not do if they didn't have to meet strict government over regulation. I know my intake is crystal clear every time i clean the KN filter. I guess the 3 dollars i spent on hose and elbow fittings is worth the peace of mind.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have an S&S Teardrop air cleaner on my 14 FLHXS. I had my 10K service done (Syn3) and immediately left on an 1800 mile trip in 90+ degree weather. By the time I got half way, I had a good deal of oil spray on the bike. Tightened up the breather bolts a bit and it was better on the second leg but was still blowing a little. My salesman said, "Yup, the syn 3 does thin out in really hot weather.....".

I've had some advice to run less oil than called for on this forum which I don't really get at all, especially if we're talking engine longevity....... Anyway, I'm definitely going to add something to get the breather vented somewhere else. MY lazy side says just dump it on the ground but my 'do it right' side says get the kit and filter and just watch how it works for a while. Really not wanting a black hose running down from the a/c.....

Nothing is simple!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

OP, as you can see everyone has an opinion on this.

At the end of the day it is your bike so do what ever makes you happy. Personally i made my own kit for less than $10 for my own piece of mind but hey that's me.

Before adding it i would have a little mess inside my air cleaner and throttle body when i did my oil changes. Since adding the bypass it is always clean.

As to if it will make your engine last longer i don't know but sure seems to me that dumping dirty, hot air into the intake seems foolish if you can avoid it.
Engines like clean cooler air.

My $.02

Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

H.P. Is negligible, if any difference at all. Longer life, I doubt it. My bike ( & most) will long been made in to recycled metal before the theory can be proved out.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I clean and reuse my stock, yes stock air filters(2015 103HO engines come stock with a high flow reusable air filter). I have 2, swap out dirty one with a clean one every oil change and wash the dirty one with simple green(blue) at my leisure, and the hardest place to get clean is right where the pcv vents into. I'm going to attempt to make my own relocation kit, any help on the size of the elbows and tubing needed? Thanks.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
I clean and reuse my stock, yes stock air filters(2015 103HO engines come stock with a high flow reusable air filter). I have 2, swap out dirty one with a clean one every oil change and wash the dirty one with simple green(blue) at my leisure, and the hardest place to get clean is right where the pcv vents into. I'm going to attempt to make my own relocation kit, any help on the size of the elbows and tubing needed? Thanks.
I don't wish to contradict someone's method, particularly when its working for them, but I HAVE read / heard that, within reason, one should not be too aggressive about cleaning air filters. The rationale seems to be that they function best when a little bit dirty.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Car to V twin comparison is apples to oranges.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:14 AM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I don't wish to contradict someone's method, particularly when its working for them, but I HAVE read / heard that, within reason, one should not be too aggressive about cleaning air filters. The rationale seems to be that they function best when a little bit dirty.

Really cant see black hose after cover is on.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
Really cant see black hose after cover is on.
Remember what size hose? I'd like to stop at store on way home today, if not no big deal, I probably wouldn't remember.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Remember what size hose? I'd like to stop at store on way home today, if not no big deal, I probably wouldn't remember.
Looks like 1/4 vacuum line. I used 5/16 fuel line.

Quick Reply: Making engines last longer