Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making engines last longer

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

The extra oil vapor inside the cylinder might help your engine last longer.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Making engines last longer

Oil and cankcase gases form a fine mist that during the combustion process lead to carbon deposits on the piston tops. These carbon deposits can become hotspots when running and be the cause of predetonation or pinging. Not such an issue on lower compression or stock motors, but this issue is made worse when in higher compression motors with finely set up squish, such as those running a 30 thou headgasket and higher compression.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:46 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 370 Likes on 236 Posts

OP I have a brand new DK product that I never Installed, with the stainless line,
35.00 shipped to your door.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:01 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozbernie
Oil and cankcase gases form a fine mist that during the combustion process lead to carbon deposits on the piston tops. These carbon deposits can become hotspots when running and be the cause of predetonation or pinging. Not such an issue on lower compression or stock motors, but this issue is made worse when in higher compression motors with finely set up squish, such as those running a 30 thou headgasket and higher compression.
Run Top Tier fuel and don't worry about it. I'm over 11:1 in the Night Train and my pistons look beautiful.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:29 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

The major benefit in my eye of running the bypass is to stop the oil mist from getting all over the motor and saddlebags. I am running the SE Chiseled Air Cleaner and it is messy especially on long trips.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:37 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
The major benefit in my eye of running the bypass is to stop the oil mist from getting all over the motor and saddlebags. I am running the SE Chiseled Air Cleaner and it is messy especially on long trips.
I ran that air cleaner on my CVO Ultra and never had that much carryover. You might have yourself an issue there.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Sorry to introduce the "O" word but just to show there's more than one way to skin the cat:

Last edited by HKMark23; 04-05-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
I disagree about it wont make your engine last longer. Common sense tells me that if i am clean filtered air in the intake as apposed to dirty oily reused air, there is going to be a benefit. I have worked on many engines over the years but i am not an expert by any means. We race circle track when you go a season with all the wear and tear of a race motor and then tear it down and it clean inside i have to believe that dumping that spent air and oil particles out of the engine works. Tear down a regular street car with the crankcase bypass in tact it will have up to 3 or 4 mm of hard carbon on the piston. The first thing i did was disable the blow by and route directly to ground. I just serviced the filter and the intake looks like the day it left the factory, that wont happen when your shoving blow by directly in there. It's all emissions garbage mandated by the gov. just mho
For years our engines vented directly to the ground. Those engine did not hold up nearly as long as the ones we have today. No PCV is not really the reason but todays engines PCV is not an issue. Unless of course some messed with it and messed it up. Rather than fix it right ,vent it.
Yep I am old enough to remember a wired on beer can to catch the oil.
Neither my EVO or any of my TC's have blown oil unless over filled.
How many here remember riding with the oil path down the center of the lanes.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I ran that air cleaner on my CVO Ultra and never had that much carryover. You might have yourself an issue there.
It's not a lot of oil but at 80 mph it has a tendency to spread and mist.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
I disagree about it wont make your engine last longer. Common sense tells me that if i am clean filtered air in the intake as apposed to dirty oily reused air, there is going to be a benefit. I have worked on many engines over the years but i am not an expert by any means. We race circle track when you go a season with all the wear and tear of a race motor and then tear it down and it clean inside i have to believe that dumping that spent air and oil particles out of the engine works. Tear down a regular street car with the crankcase bypass in tact it will have up to 3 or 4 mm of hard carbon on the piston. The first thing i did was disable the blow by and route directly to ground. I just serviced the filter and the intake looks like the day it left the factory, that wont happen when your shoving blow by directly in there. It's all emissions garbage mandated by the gov. just mho
Think of that 3-4mm layer Carbon build up on the piston as a free high compression mod!

Last edited by Greatsteaks; 04-05-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Making engines last longer