Sponsored by:

Play it safe or pay the premium? Pre-Rushmore vs. Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:42 AM
Liberator
|
Cruiser
Default Play it safe or pay the premium? Pre-Rushmore vs. Rushmore

Thought I'd ask the Rushmore guys for advice. Was looking last year at an Ultra Classic (that never happened, but close). Now I'm looking again and I've got a couple in my sights. 2012 Ultra Classic (11K miles) and a 2014 Rushmore Ultra Classic (3700 miles).

So...there's about a $7K difference between these bikes and I'm also worried about any first year major model changes of the Rushmores.

Really love opinions from anyone who's had experience with both pre-Rushmore and Rushmore Ultra Classics.

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:45 AM
caddman
Cruiser

I wouldn't by the Rushmore without getting a warranty. They are a wonderful ride, but they are loaded with computers. just my two cents.

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:46 AM
Djcamis
Tourer

I think most on here will say go for the Rushmore. Engine, audio etc. all pluses. I don't think there was any major issues with the 14s just the clutch and saddlebag which have been recalled. 7K difference is a bit, but all depends what you want in the end. I say Rushmore!

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:52 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

I would say to check out the wet-head Limited maybe you can find a deal on one.

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:55 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

The Rushmore's have been out for 3 model years now. Really wasn't anything wrong with them that changed in the following 2 years besides the wonky Boom software updates for a while.

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:05 PM
Liberator
|
Cruiser

Anyone notice if wind management is truly way better on the Rushmores? Really looking to avoid the bobble head issues I've had on my Deuce with a shield (no amount of tweaking helped so I just gave up and ride without it).

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:11 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer

Originally Posted by Liberator
Thought I'd ask the Rushmore guys for advice. Was looking last year at an Ultra Classic (that never happened, but close). Now I'm looking again and I've got a couple in my sights. 2012 Ultra Classic (11K miles) and a 2014 Rushmore Ultra Classic (3700 miles).

So...there's about a $7K difference between these bikes and I'm also worried about any first year major model changes of the Rushmores.

Really love opinions from anyone who's had experience with both pre-Rushmore and Rushmore Ultra Classics.
Linked brakes, steering head, front forks, easy latches, bigger trunk, even more room for passengers, new fairing, stereo and cams.
Latches are SWEET! The brakes didn't do anything for me yet. I'm used to jamming both, and have had abs for years. Tar snakes don't twist the neck like I remember. The radio is usable at 70+ mph, unlike before. Less head buffeting. A lot of people mod the cams, even on the HO. Did I mention the new latches are really nice.

You could buy the old one, put a set of 555 cams in it, or even like new HO take off's. Get the new A/C cover and spacer. Buy the saddle bags. Deal with the trunk. Add an aftermarket stereo and maybe save a couple grand. Unless you want the wetheads, it might not really be worth moving up. I believe the 12 comes witha CB. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:21 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

After owning a pre-Rushmore ('09 Ultra) and now a '15 Limited...................I would would highly recommend the Rushmore. Out of the last seven Harley's I have owned, the Limited is the best bike I have ever owned.

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:40 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Anyone notice if wind management is truly way better on the Rushmores? Really looking to avoid the bobble head issues I've had on my Deuce with a shield (no amount of tweaking helped so I just gave up and ride without it).
Yes, the vented fairing works, it doesn't vent onto your chest or face like most people think, it shoots the air over your head. With vent closed I don't feel comfortable wearing my ball cap, with it open, no problems. But, a recurve windshield will solve the buffering on a pre Rushmore bike so don't buy one just for that. My 2015 ultra non limited is the best touring bike I have ever owned, in fact it's the only one I have owned that I have put over 10k miles on in one year.

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:46 PM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain

Much Improved with the Rushmore, That being Said, I have heard Complaints from Tall People (6'-2" and above) that It Still isn't Great.

I Know my Street Glide IS much more comfortable then The 2012 I was looking at.

Stock Power is Better,

Not sure if I am sold on the new Sound System, Navigation is Cool if you are into that.

Love the New Saddlebags and The Fuel Door,,

Resale down the road is something to look at too

Quick Reply: Play it safe or pay the premium? Pre-Rushmore vs. Rushmore