Sponsored by:

Canadian Tri-Bar LED Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:10 AM
Northride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Canadian Tri-Bar LED Mod

For those Canucks that are wanting to light up their rear fender Tri-Bar light, here is one way to make that happen.

Note: This mod was done to a 2014 SG.

1. Remove the light from under under the rear fender. You have to remove 2 Torx screws and disconnect two harness connectors.

2. Open the light unit using two flat screwdrivers and a knife. It actually comes apart quite easy, just take your time. You have to spread open the two side tabs at the same time as well.

Now remove the two screws holding the back on.

And remove the back:

Here is what the inside of the back looks like. Remove the three screws to remove the PCB board.

Here is what the PCB board looks like. A very simple board. The circuitry is quite large - you can see the raised areas at the bottom part of the board in this picture.

You will need an LED circuit board for the lighting. Here is a brand new donor light assembly I found at a dealer garage sale. P/N is 91066-07. You'll need this to scavenge the LED circuit board. By the way, all these lights are made by JW Speaker. This LED unit is a run and break light unit. Be careful, I had also bought another light (used), took it apart and found out it was only a running light.

Here is what the unit looks like opened up. You can see the LED unit ready to be removed. This unit will slide right in to my light unit without any modifications required.

This is the unit removed and wires cut.

Here the LED unit is installed in my bike's light unit. Note there is already an opening available for the wires to pass through.

Here's the back of the unit with the wires routed.

I had to drill a hole to route the wires through the PCB. Just be careful you don't drill the circuitry. I'll post the pins that you will need to solder to. And yes, I know the soldering looks a little bush, but I only had access to a large old Weller gun soldering iron.

Here is the PCB installed in the back cover.

Unit with the lens and back reattached. I liberally used Permatex black silicone in the seal area to seal the back and lens.

These pics were taken in daylight so they do not really show how well the light looks but I'll post anyway. This is off:

Running light.

Brake light.

The soldered connections are made to:

Red (Brake light) - OUTPUT side pin # 9
White (Run Light) - INPUT side pin # 6
Black (GRD) - INPUT side Pin # 7

Hope this helps someone.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:55 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Why not just order the custom dynamics one and its plug and play? They aren't making different harnesses for different countries at the harley manufacturers plant.

Batman

Old 03-25-2016, 07:09 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi Batman.The oup harness from the Tri-bar is different on the CDN bikes.We still have the center tail light on our bikes.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:11 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Great tutorial Northride.A lot of Canucks will thank you for this.
Dan

Old 03-25-2016, 07:18 AM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 AM
pipes435
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, awesome write up, exactly the process i was looking for my Canadian street glide.
just one question, i see that you used a light with the chrome housing
All i could find on the "US" HD website, are part no:68358-07A and 67774-10 tri-bar lights, and since i am just using the circuit board, i am not sure which i should use as the "donor"?

BTY, which led turn signals are those? CD?

thanks,
Marc

Last edited by pipes435; 03-25-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:11 AM
kjc
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-Bar-Fend...hWlhrT&vxp=mtr

i ordered this light and installed it as you did in its original case.Much better price compared to the HD and comes with signal LEDs also.wired in the same way to the circuit board.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Northride
Cruiser

[QUOTE=pipes435;14975186]As mentioned, awesome write up, exactly the process i was looking for my Canadian street glide.
just one question, i see that you used a light with the chrome housing
All i could find on the "US" HD website, are part no:68358-07A and 67774-10 tri-bar lights, and since i am just using the circuit board, i am not sure which i should use as the "donor"?

BTY, which led turn signals are those? CD?

Hi Marc,

Not sure why HD changed the P/N's. I see the P/N I used is no longer available. I would probably say that either of the P/N's you listed would work - but can't say for sure until the light is opened up. Sorry. If it was me, I'd go with the cheapest one!

Yes, the turn signals are CD and I'm really happy with them.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Northride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nirschl
Not sue about your neck of the woods, but if your (non-working) tri-bar light has the pass through connectors then my option would work. As far as the other lights not working, sorry, I would have to check the wiring myself before making a call.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Northride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dansflhti
Great tutorial Northride.A lot of Canucks will thank you for this.
Dan
Thanks Dan. By the way, nice solo seat - who makes that?

Quick Reply: Canadian Tri-Bar LED Mod