Sponsored by:

Should have left it stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have left it stock

Got the New Yafee bars installed and now she's back at the shop. She is throttling by herself. It started when I picked it up but we thought we fixed the problem. Rode fine home and to work the next day. But the problem reappeared as I was preparing to come home from work.
During warm up it was as if a ghost was actuating the throttle. We could hear the throttle body open.
Made for an interesting ride to the shop. It would even do it when I was on the throttle. Likely a short in the Fly by Wire. Just have to find it

Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool Whining or what ???

Originally Posted by SOCALHD
Got the New Yafee bars installed and now she's back at the shop. She is throttling by herself. It started when I picked it up but we thought we fixed the problem. Rode fine home and to work the next day. But the problem reappeared as I was preparing to come home from work.
During warm up it was as if a ghost was actuating the throttle. We could hear the throttle body open.
Made for an interesting ride to the shop. It would even do it when I was on the throttle. Likely a short in the Fly by Wire. Just have to find it
...So why the long face ...did you mess it up ..or did the stealership ,(as you never really said in your post ),just mad at yourself...or what ???

Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Who cares who's fault...it's jacked up and he needs it fixed. I feel for ya SOCALHD, get'r going and go ride...

Ain't much love on forums sometimes...

Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

Has to be something with the twist grip sensor plug or the green plug in the harness. Either a couple wires in the wrong location or maybe not fully seated in the plug. Did you use the stock twist grip sensor with the green plug or did you use the older style without the green plug?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Whatever the problem SOCALHD,please post your findings on the Forum so it will educate the members changing bars.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springers4ever
...So why the long face ...did you mess it up ..or did the stealership ,(as you never really said in your post ),just mad at yourself...or what ???

Wouldn't call it whining. I call it venting. But the shop did it. Fully confident in their ability. Sometimes stuff happens.
I will post the findings. Yes, they used the stock twist grip sensor and extended the wires. They chose to extend the wires rather than reroute them as suggested by Yafee.
Long face, because I'm not riding my bike with the New Bar that I paid a lot of money for (Simple Answer)

Last edited by SOCALHD; 03-17-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

I can relate to your frustrations...sort of. Installing them isn't really a cake walk. Pulling the wires is a PITA. Before and after that, it:s really not bad.

I ended up destroying my original twist grip sensor(tgs) pulling the wires thru. I bought the older style without the green plug and was able to get the wires in. Lightened my wallet and made some new cuss words.

Once l had nearly everything buttoned up, l realized my right Avon grip would not stay engaged with the tgs. Turns out the bars were defective and they weren't long enough.

Luckily l bought them thru my dealer and they got in touch with Bagger Nation and a new set of bars were sent out. My dealer-Zylstra HD- ate the cost of pulling the wires out of the bad bars and ran them in the new bars.

Everything is good and running now. I"m in Minnesota and did these over the Winter so it's not like l could ride it.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:45 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This is why I'll always advocate the CVO harness with no plug and no extensions needed. What's another $100 for peace of mind when you're dropping a grand at the dealer to do the work on your $25k bike? If $100 is going to break the bank, you need to find another hobby.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:00 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,892 Likes on 4,968 Posts

Originally Posted by SOCALHD
Wouldn't call it whining. I call it venting. But the shop did it. Fully confident in their ability. Sometimes stuff happens.
I will post the findings. Yes, they used the stock twist grip sensor and extended the wires. They chose to extend the wires rather than reroute them as suggested by Yafee.
Long face, because I'm not riding my bike with the New Bar that I paid a lot of money for (Simple Answer)
sweetwater? things happen could have damaged throttle actuator by pulling the wires. I've done a bunch of those bars, and they are some of the hardest to pull wires. One of the welds at the bend could have cut the insulation. No matter what its coming back apart

Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I ended up just cutting mine and soldering And used the canbus extensions from namz. Originally had the extensions for the TBW, but tore it to **** trying to pull it. Same with the 1 piece extensions. Glad I bought backups

Quick Reply: Should have left it stock