Sponsored by:

No solder Bluetooth helmet to Boom microphone

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:34 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts
Default No solder Bluetooth helmet to Boom microphone

No soldering because I bought the HD 7 pin adapter/slitter. If you do not have that you’d have to build the connector.

Like many I have been chasing how to connect the Sena SHM10 helmet units to my Boom system and avoid the wires. Since my main need has been for CB functionality on group rides I bought an HD 7 pin adapter that splits out a headphone and microphone jack. When I go on group rides I plug in a cheap microphone that I clip to my shirt or helmet strap. Functional but still a wire.

CPT_Carrera and others on the forum have well documented how to build a wiring harness to connect either an additional helmet unit or Sena SR10 adapter onto the system or importing the AKE unit. I bought the inside fairing wiring harness and Sena SR10 from CPT_Carrera but decided it wouldn’t work for my rider/passenger requirements as well. (Check out the classifieds section, the unit is available.)

For some time I have been considering using the Universal Intercom feature of my headset, pairing it with a generic Bluetooth headset and wiring it to the HD 7 pin connector.

Options:
  • In ear units – Cheap and plentiful, not a lot of room to solder wires, most will not function and charge at the same time.
  • Automobile handsfree units – Multiple options but most include their own speaker and microphone. That makes their cases larger for features that will not be wanted. However, most will function during charging.
  • Modify a helmet unit – Like the wiring harness options, a full unit – like the Sena SHM10 – can be modified on the mounting sled to add input and output wires and then connect directly to the HD 7 pin plug. More expensive but quality is high. This will most likely be my final solution since I have a spare.
Since all of the in ear units are so small I have been watching for a car unit that I could modify.

Tonight I found a “no mod” solution that solves the CB microphone problem while I continue to work on a full HD 7 pin solution.

I found the Scoshe motoMOUTH III at Walmart. This unit has a built in microphone and a stereo 3.5mm male jack on the back for the audio out. I charged the unit, paired with it with the Sena, and plugged it into the microphone jack of my adapter. (Yes, the microphone plug is mono so only one channel from the Scosche plug is transmitting.) Bingo what I speak into the Sena is sent to the Scoshe into the microphone jack of the adapter and out to the CB when I press the handlebar button. It does seem to add some electronic hum during the broadcast but for a short comment on a group ride this might work.

I could open the Scosche up, bypass the internal microphone, and pick up the stereo signal from the headset plug. Then the bike audio could be passed over the intercom channel to the headset. But this post is about a “no mod” implementation.

Perfect? Not yet. Good enough for the occasional comment and testing on this weekend’s rides? Yes.

Anyone else seen a universal handsfree unit that would lend itself to being modified for use on the HD 7 pin plug? There’s probably some kind of option to suppress the hum. Please share for others to try as well.

Components used:
Edit: I remembered having a GoGroove Bluesense CLP for adding Bluetooth to my headsets. I tested the pairing on that and it worked even better than the Scosche unit with no hum on the CB. I would anticipate that any of these headset adapters would work as well.

Last edited by VA_Larry; 03-17-2016 at 07:31 AM.